Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my tactical, it ran flawlessly, but recently I've been having some issues w/ it not stripping rounds occasionally, occasional 3 point jams etc.

When inspecting the gun, I could find nothing I perceived as a problem. I happened to pick up a magazine last night before going to the range (yes I went even though I said I wasn't. It had been a bad day) and I notice the front lip on the magazine where the slidelock relief is has a weird bend to it. I start looking at my other mags and notice they all have this to differing degrees. The only mag that didn't have it was the (nearly) brand new 10 rd 9mm mag. I stuck a couple rounds in the new mag and they stripped off perfectly. I stuck those same rounds in the most severely bent mag and instant jam.

What was happening was the front of the mag was bent in far enough to interfere w/ the round as it was stripping off the stack and causing it to "bounce" around up the feed ramp. A pair of pliars and 5 minutes later and all my mags were fairly well straightened out.

I then started thinking about what could cause that and it dawned on me so I did a reload cycle like I normally do in competition and found when I discard the magazine, it hits top side down. Since in USPSA you frequiently discard partial magazines, they have weight in them that is over and above the weight of the magazine and as a result ends up putting something akin to a small hammer blow to the point of the magazine that hits the ground (in this case a concrete floor).

Anyway, just thought I'd mention this to anyone else who might be fighting something similair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the info.

That will be another one to file away for future use.

Are you allowed to put any weight on the bottom of the mag (Not sure if USPSA allows weight to be added to anything.) so it will hit botom side down?

I was thinking stick on magnets or two sided tape a weight to the bottom.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Thank for the heads up on this. It should not be a problem for me but then you never know.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
aiformula said:
I happened to pick up a magazine last night before going to the range (yes I went even though I said I wasn't. It had been a bad day) and I notice the front lip on the magazine where the slidelock relief is has a weird bend to it. I start looking at my other mags and notice they all have this to differing degrees.
i shoot IDPA and this same thing just happend to me. i just noticed it right before i read your thread lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts