Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When you have a bad case of Black Rifle Disease, you will occasionally purchase an accessory or two that you don't really need. One of these is a bayonet. I have a couple of RRA midlength carbines. I like midlength gas systems for the gentler peak pressures, longer sight radius, better proportions, and longer grip. They say one other advantage of a 16" middy over a 16" short gas system is that you can fit a bayonet (just as you can fit a bayonet on a 20" with rifle gas system). When I was ordering some parts from PKFirearms (great service by the way) I decided to order a USGI M7 bayonet with matching M10 scabbard. It was a brand new item and at $35, half the cost of a used one I saw at an Army Surplus store.
PK Firearms | Online Store

The butt end clamps to the bayonet lug and the ring fits (somewhat loosely) on the flash hider. On a shorty gas system and 16" barreled carbine, the ring would go around the narrower barrel (not the flash hider) and knock about way too much. When you mount a bayonet, it ruins the balance of the rifle, making it muzzle heavy. It also makes the rifle even more of a danger to yourself and others, as you have a distinct chance of poking something soft with it.

The M7 probably serves a better use as a survival knife (off the gun), but even in that capacity, it is too bulky for convenient carry, would probably be classified as an illegal deadly weapon in most jurisdictions, lacks saw teeth, and has no watertight compartment for matches. The double edged point makes it a perfect stabbing tool. In all my experience in the outdoors, I am trying to think of when I could have used it. I could have used it years ago to dispatch a 40lbs stingray I caught while bowfishing, but I probably would have put a hole in the boat too.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
It also makes the rifle even more of a danger to yourself and others, as you have a distinct chance of poking something soft with it.
If you are walking around accidentally stabbing people with your affixed bayonet, you need to learn muzzle control. :)

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That warning comes from a gunsmith who reports several customers injured with bayonets and therefore does not recommend them.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
It also makes the rifle even more of a danger to yourself and others, as you have a distinct chance of poking something soft with it.
Isn't the whole point of having a bayonet on the end of your rifle to poke others with it?

If you are poking yourself with a fixed bayonet you are holding the rifle the wrong direction.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Isn't the whole point of having a bayonet on the end of your rifle to poke others with it?

If you are poking yourself with a fixed bayonet you are holding the rifle the wrong direction.

now that's funny!!!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am just saying that the double edged point is very sharp and adds a lot of length to the rifle. I have not injured myself, but from what I have heard many people have injured themselves with bayonets. It might just be the simple act of putting it up on a gun rack. I keep mine off the rifle as a novelty.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've had a Buck M9 since 1995. i was surprised to find that it fits on my middy. Not an ideal bayonet, with it's saw spine and thick blade, but I guess it would work in a pinch. But I certainly hope I'm never in that 'pinch.'

Actually, i think the knife would be more effective in the hand than on the gun. I understand reach is increased, but maneuverability is severely hampered. Solution: Two bayonets - One on the gun, and one in the hand. Problem solved.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Or just have a suppressed SBR and this on your hip :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
The M9 Bayonets I've seen around have been going for about 100 bucks or there abouts.

I've got an M7 that was passed to me by a family friend it's fun to mount on there. I've had my eye out for a low priced used M9 bayonet though. It's what we are issued now.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
For a great bayonet and all purpose knife I would advise the Ontario Knife OKC3S Marine Bayonet Welcome to Ontario Knife Company! I've seen them for an average of $110.00 and I've carried one in Iraq. It started out as my backup and quickly became my primary combat knife because of how sturdy and reliable it was and how comfortable it was to hold in my hand.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
If someone stabs themself with their own bayonet, I'm betting it won't be long before they "accidently" shoot themself. Stabbing yourself with your own bayonet is one of the most idiotic things I can think of for a person to do.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I just recieved the M7 bayonet and M10 scabard from ebay for 25.00 shipped.

I wanted one for awhile but finally broke down and ordered.

·
Premium Member
2,690 Posts
If you accidentally cut yourself while messing around with a knife...well, we all do that once in a while. But accidentally hitting yourself with it fixed to a rifle? Are they playing soccer with them or something?

·
Registered
522 Posts
That's funny,

anyway, I have a bayonet for everything but the Sig 556. Sure comes in handy for the last resort Zombie attack, dead fall bear defense, lakeside fishing, or just scratching that place you can't quite reach!!!!!!

Really, If it has a lug, fill it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
For a great bayonet and all purpose knife I would advise the Ontario Knife OKC3S Marine Bayonet Welcome to Ontario Knife Company! I've seen them for an average of $110.00 and I've carried one in Iraq. It started out as my backup and quickly became my primary combat knife because of how sturdy and reliable it was and how comfortable it was to hold in my hand.
It's a great knife, I agree.

A banonet only sticks out so far in front of your barrel. It should not be a problem. If the muzzle end of your weapon is that close to someone, I would hope it is not accidental. Although I would probably agree that in the civilian world there is little use for one, being that it is very unlikely that you're going to overrun the enemy. Fortunately, if you buy a bayonet like the Ontario, you have a great tool that is dual purpose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts