Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First post - great forum - I recently purchased an SA-XD 9mm (4" barrel). I took the gun to the range the other day and ran a hundred or so rounds through it without any problems. The only thing I found surprising was that the factory sights on my pistol seem to be fairly far off - I was shooting decent groups but they were centered about 2 inches to the left and 3 inches high at 15 yards (sighting point of aim).

I think that it is "typical" for this particular pistol to shoot high at this distance when sighting point of aim. Does anyone know for what distance the factory sights are "zeroed"? It appears that they must use a zero that is 50 yards or more - something that I find strange for a handgun since most use would be well inside 50 yards. I really dislike this and would like to change it without having to go to adjustable sights.

As for shooting to the left, I am pretty certain that the problem is the pistol and not me. I tried shooting well supported from a bench rest as well as standing and the results were pretty much the same. I do not have this problem with my Sig 226ST also in 9mm.

I ordered a set of Truglo sights from XDpistols.com (waitinig for them to arrive). I was planning to install myself, however, I am having second thoughts reading about the difficulties others on this forum have had trying to change sights themselves and after trying to adjust the factory sights myself (no luck). Does anyone have recommendations where to send my gun to have the sights installed or should most gunsmiths be up to the task. FWIW, I am a pretty handy do-it-yourselfer and I tried to removing the sights today and they would not budge one bit. I was hammering fairly hard with a brass punch - I dare not try any harder than I did. I may try once more after freezing the slide as I found recommended elsewhere in this forum. Any advice would be appreciated.

Getting back to the gun shooting high, anyone know if Truglo makes different height front sights that would fit an SA-XD. If I could add about 1/16" to the front sight I think the thing would shoot close to point of aim at 15 - 25 yards.

Thanks again for a great forum!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Page 32 of the XD manual shows point of aim. Says they're designed to use the 6 o'clock sight picture at 25 yards, which means you can expect to be just a very little bit high at 15 yds. You'll be a little higher than that if you're using the point of aim sight picture.

25 yards is 75 feet. I don't think I have ever shot a target that far away with my XD. Impractical IMHO. I generally shoot 21 feet (7 yds) or 39 feet (13 yrds) and it shoots prettywhere I aim (using 6 o'clock) as described in the manual at those distances.

You might have a pro put a few rds through your XD and see what his/her opinion is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts