Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, after much research and internal debate, I bought my first XD (XDM-40 BI-TONE) yesterday and took it to the range today. It's the best shooting gun I've ever had or shot! The accuracy, trigger pull, grip feel, everything about it I LOVE! And the case and the accessories, plus 2 free mags and a mag holder from Springfield Armory will soon be on their way! Not to mention it's a nice, futuristic, slick looking gun (especially with the stainless slide). All for $650!

Except...there is one serious problem I don't know what to do about. In 150 rounds there were countless failures to feed! Sometimes it was every-other round! There wasn't a single time a magazine's worth of rounds ran through the gun without a FTF. It happened about 4-5 times stripping the first round from a full magazine from a locked-open slide by pressing the slide release, and the others happened with various numbers of rounds in the magazine. It got to the point where I went to the counter and protested that my new gun with its match barrel is likely not tolerant of their stupid, crummy, newly-mandatory Blazer ammo, and they should allow me to shoot my own. The guy said maybe my gun wasn't oiled enough (even though last night I stripped it, cleaned it, and lubricated it with some really good lube I still have from the army) but I let him put more oil on it anyway, in the hopes that if the problem continued, I would get to shoot my own ammo. Then he came over to watch me shoot, and still get FTF after FTF. Then of course the guy shot a few rounds through my gun with no FTFs (although I did experience a few short runs with no FTFs myself, so maybe coincidence?). He said just put a death grip on it and it will not do that. This might have made sense except for the FTFs from a locked-open slide after pressing the slide catch. Limp-wrist or no, the slide should have been back far enough at that point. And besides that, limp-wristed shooting normally results in stovepipes, and it was not stovepiping...and anyway, I know how to shoot just fine, thank you. This is my first XD, but DEFINITELY not my first gun :rolleyes:

Out of all the guns I've ever owned or shot, I've never even HAD a FTF like this. The slide strips the round just fine with plenty of force, but then it abbruptly stops as the leading edge of the brass catches on the top of the chamber opposite the feed ramp. Applying forward pressure doesn't help because it's forcefully wedged in there. The immedate action that worked was to pull the slide back a tiny bit to let the round fall onto the feed ramp, then release the slide and let it feed. After that, the round fires fine. Maybe it's the ammo, but I ran that same ammo through my Glock 27 (which has a very tight spring and would probably be more prone to limp-wrist and poor ammo issues) with no problems at all. Ever. Not even a single stovepipe. Every time I've pulled the trigger, it's done what it's supposed to do, regardless of the ammo.

If I don't figure out what to do about this, I'll sadly have to sell it and buy something I can depend on. Glocks are ugly as hell and the triggers suck, but at least I know from experience they go bang and dutifully feed the next round no matter what I ask them to shoot, which sucks because I'm in love with everything about my new XDM except that it doesn't shoot bullets very well in succession...which, to me at least, is an important feature of a pistol.

Can anyone save me? I'm a new member of xdtalk, and I'd like to hang out talking about how cool my XD is with all the rest of you!

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
check the extractor (small clip on the side of slide) for proper gap. I'm not talking about the extractor pin (contained in the grip), but the clip near the face and firing pin. If it's not allowing the cartridges to slide in between, it could allow the round to advance at much too high an angle thus resulting in a FTF (case hangs). That has to be the problem.

Regardless, It's Springfield's flagship XD, and I know their warranty is exceptional. Best of luck, and don't go to the glock side!

I don't know about yall but this story surely hasn't deterred me! The Springfield XD-M will be my next handgun.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check the extractor (small clip on the side of slide) for proper gap. I'm not talking about the extractor pin (contained in the grip), but the clip near the face and firing pin. If it's not allowing the cartridges to slide in between, it could allow the round to advance at much too high an angle thus resulting in a FTF (case hangs). That has to be the problem.

Regardless, It's Springfield's flagship XD, and I know their warranty is exceptional. Best of luck, and don't go to the glock side!

I don't know about yall but this story surely hasn't deterred me! The Springfield XD-M will be my next handgun.
I don't have anything to measure it with, nor do I know the tolerances, but I took a picture of a round being held by the extractor while applying upward pressure. Is this too much angle?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
id try a different brand ammo. Does this happen with both mags?
I would love to try different ammo, but the range I go to adopted the lame policy of not letting people shoot their own ammo out of their own guns so they can make more money selling ammo. I should probably look for a new range...

And yes, both magazines, same problem.

·
Registered
353 Posts
MachRon
Was it Blazer Brass? I have pounded nothing but Blazer Brass through my XDm 500 rounds and counting with no FTFs.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Springfield will fix it for free and pay shipping both ways.
Very unusual to have an XD that does this, but yours sounds so extreme there must be something really wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Springfield will fix it for free and pay shipping both ways.
Very unusual to have an XD that does this, but yours sounds so extreme there must be something really wrong with it.
Yeah considering how rare people here think this is, and the success story of the same ammo without a single problem, I'm thinking I'll run a few hundred more rounds through her to see if she loosens up. If not, I'm going to send it back to SA. If one of them can run on Blazer Brass, mine should too one way or another, so there is hope! :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't assume additional rounds will cure anything. I have 800 rounds of Canned Heat and Sperry Lawman through mine and still get failures.
3 rounds out of the first 30 failed to feed on my last trip. Then 200 rounds until the next failure.

If you send yours back, please tell us what they fix if they tell you. I'd be curious.

My ejector is definitely taking a beating. The barb is now visible.

I'm not sending mine back for now since it is just a range gun for me and will serve as a reminder of what I already knew about buying new guns.

And I am still of the opinion if you absolutely positively have to shoot, it had better be a Glock.

Ken

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Maybe the XDM is having problems, everyone I know (in person) has zero problems with their XD in all calibers.

Of course, the XD is combat tupperware and the XDM is supposedly a competition gun (tighter, more accurate) which usually means less reliable, but by that I mean jams once in 500 rounds max.

I'm still waiting for a jam in both my XD .40 Service and XD .45ACP Tactical (with reloads) after thousands of rounds each. This is typical after a 200 round break-in period (mine didn't jam then, either).

SO, we are all interested in what happens here.

·
Registered
383 Posts
the range I go to adopted the lame policy of not letting people shoot their own ammo out of their own guns so they can make more money selling ammo.
WHAT??? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I think it's bad enough that you have to shoot range ammo with a rental but I can somewhat understand that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would love to try different ammo, but the range I go to adopted the lame policy of not letting people shoot their own ammo out of their own guns so they can make more money selling ammo. I should probably look for a new range...

And yes, both magazines, same problem.
Why don't you buy ammo and load ur mag's before you go to the range? Or put some ammo in your pocket before you go in? What are they gonna do, strip search you before you go in for outside ammo?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My XDM 40 did the same thing I sent it back to SA it will be back on tuesday, call SA and they will email you a shipping label. Good Luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Call SA now. If you shoot it more you will just get aggravated.
My XD .357 worked fine with the Clinton mags. Then I got the 12 round mags.
I had FTFs all the time. Also the first cartridge would nose dive and stop.

When it came back it was 100% reliable.

They re-contoured and polished the feed ramp.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Send it back, It should'nt do that with any ammo. I've ran blazer and Fiocchi through my XDM with no problems. They have a great cost service dept. I called them about mine shooting high at 25 yards and they sent me a Fedx lable to sent it back so they can install a POA sight.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Alrighty, so I called the range and asked how in the world I could shoot my own ammo there, because I wanted to just try different ammo, try different grips, and break in my gun, to see if anything fixed the problem before I sent it back to SA. The guy was convinced it was just my grip and was very condescending (I guess he's an instructor or something :rolleyes:). I told him, poor grip or not, it still didn't explain why I had 4 FTF's when chambering the first round from a magazine using the full travel of the slide. So, they said I could do it, but there is a "service fee" of $9.00 per box of my own ammo. So I said ok, fair enough, and showed up with a box of 250 rounds of PMC. They said it would be $9 per 50 rounds, and that ammo was crappy and really bad for my gun (even though they sell PMC 9mm :rolleyes:) and I'm like "that's not what you said, you said $9.00 per box. This is 1 box". But, they wouldn't budge, so I told them I'm never coming back to the range again and I wanted to cancel my membership. They canceled it, refunded me $75, and that was that. The guy gave me lip as I was walking out like "have fun with whatever outdoor range blah blah" and made sure to ask "How do I cancel this membership!?!?" really loud to someone else working there, as if to say "good riddance." But whatever, screw 'em. I've been going there since 2000, but if they don't want my business oh well.

I then went and bought some snap-caps and attempted to reproduce the FTF. To my amazement, no such FTFs occurred no matter how hard I tried (and I tried A LOT of different things).

So...I went to another indoor range, same mandatory ammo policy, different mandatory crappy ammo (can't remember the brand), but at least it was different. Ran 200 rounds through it with no FTF, no stovepipe, no problems whatsoever! This was with full mags every time except the leftovers. They were even nice enough to let me run 1 box of my Federal Hydro-Shok defense ammo with no additional fees! I put them all inside the 9 ring on a police qualifying man-sized target at 50 feet (even with it shooting a lot higher with the zippy hollowpoints...with the crappy ammo it was hitting point of aim...).

Long story short, I'm happy with my gun now!!!!!! I may send it back to get it tuned up as some suggested, possibly get point of aim sights and have them fix the sticky mag release, and I'm definitely going to find some place to shoot where they let me use my own ammo...but I LOVE MY XDM NOW!!!!! SHE'S A KEEPER!!!! :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts