Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my new XD Compact to the range today, for the first time. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was hopeful. I had problems with my Kimber .45, and I hated to part with it, but I had no confidence in it, and I needed something reliable.

So today I put about 200 rds. through my XD, and not one single malfunction! Yay! I'm not used to that reliablillty f0r 200 rounds! I was very happy with the gun's performance as well. While I wasn't quite a Dead Eye Dick shooting-wise yet, I did very well with the gun for the first time out, much better than I did with my 1911 earlier this year.

I used several types of ammo, and all went through the gun without a single hiccup- Golden Sabre JHPs, Hydra Shok HPs, Winchester White Box ball, and Speer ball ammo. I shot magazines with mixed loads, and the XD didn't miss a beat.

The recoil wasn't quite as pronounced as my Kimber had been , I think the XD is balanced a little bit better. And as a side note, I was also shooting an old Walther PPK .380, and that thing was beating the crap out of me a lot worse than my .45 XD!

Trigger pull was very smooth, better than I had hoped or even expected. You always read about 1911s having the best triggers, well I have to say that I was very impressed with the XD's trigger.

My only complaint for the day was loading my magazines. The 10rd. was really difficult after say rd. #8. And the 13rd. mag basically became a 10-12 rd., there was no way you were getting the last round in! Maybe I was the culprit, I'm used to single stacks, maybe my angle was bad at times. I intend to get a couple more 10 rd. mags, they fit my hand perfectly, the 13 rd'er can be used just for the range or house. I think the 10rd. will be great for CC, I'd trust this XDc without a second thought.

Glad I'm now a member of the XD owners club!

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
My only complaint for the day was loading my magazines. The 10rd. was really difficult after say rd. #8. And the 13rd. mag basically became a 10-12 rd., there was no way you were getting the last round in! Maybe I was the culprit, I'm used to single stacks, maybe my angle was bad at times. I intend to get a couple more 10 rd. mags, they fit my hand perfectly, the 13 rd'er can be used just for the range or house. I think the 10rd. will be great for CC, I'd trust this XDc without a second thought.

Glad I'm now a member of the XD owners club!
Perhaps one of these would help with your mag loading.
maglula Ltd. - The world's #1 magazine loaders and unloaders !
I love mine........

Glad to hear everything went well.
Even though I did sell my XD45 compact, it was a great shooter.
Never a problem with her.
I had a Powder River Lever in mine and it dramatically improved the trigger for less than $45.....
Powder River Precision

I also liked having the Pearce extensions on the 10 rd mags.
Springfield Armory XD Series

·
Registered
329 Posts
congratulations on the new xd. i have a friend witha 1911 and my tactical has a way better trigger than his 1911. on the mag loading problem, mine were like that at first. i loaded them full and let them sit for a couple of days and then next range visit they were great. now no problem loading thru 2-300 rounds per outing with out a problem. good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Pro Carry II. I got it this past April, I researched my choices for a year and a half, so it wasn't a snap decision. Loved how that gun looked with some nice wood grips. But, just too many failures- FTF, FTE- just jamming, on every range visit. I didn't feel comfortable with that gun being my CC gun or for a home protection gun. I had bought 8 Wilson Combat mags ($30 a pop, but you have to, the mags Kimber gives you with the gun have metal followers and will gouge your breech). So, all I can tell you is that for the money, I don't feel like you should have to make upgrades to a gun right off the bat for it to function reliably, it isn't like this is a Kel-tec or cheap gun.

I do miss the 1911 look, but the XD Compact shot great today, I've already gained a confidence with it I never had with the Kimber. It is too bad, b/c I do like Kimbers, but the one I had just wasn't for me.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The XD45 Compact is a great all around gun and I'm really glad that you were willing to admit that 1911s and Kimbers in particular are not the perfect gun many talk about. They do take some extra work to make half way reliable. I would suggest you reconsider buying extra 10 round magazines for CCW, there is no reason to short yourself on ammo. I believe you want as many rounds as you can have in you backup magazines and the 13 round conceals just as easy as the 10 round. I carry a 10 round in the gun with 1 in the chamber and 2 13 round spare mags.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I second getta a Maglulla, those things are AWESOME. They save your thumbs a lot of pain and wear, the only downside to them is you'll find yourself shooting more because you load faster. :)

Another strong recommendation I would make would be for the Agrip, if you're interested in getting a grip for your XD. Tried mine out yesterday and man, it's the perfect grip. NO sliding around at all, the gun stays in your hand and allows you a much better and stable platform to shoot from.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same firearm and put about 500 rounds through it without a hiccup. I third the motion for getting an Uplula auto loader from Maglula. I use it with my 9mm Sig 239 as well as the XD. It is a better loader than the one that came from Springfield with my XD 45C. Enjoy the XD.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Yea, the loader that comes with the XD is nice if you don't have one but to be honest, once you try the UpLula, nothing can compare.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I did get the mag loader that comes stock with the XD, but mine doesn't work too well. I'll have to check out the other one you guys are mentioning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just ordered an Uplula loader, cool looking gadget- thanks for the tip!

Now, I need to find some 13 rd. mags, you guys have talked me into getting the higher capacity mags for my XD .45 compact. I've seen they're out of stock in a lot of places- any thoughts?

I also need to get a spare mag holder for carry use, and a good carry holster. I have a couple in mind I need to research more. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
937 Posts
the mags will get easier with time, load up as many as you can (within reason say 8 in the 10rd and 10 in the 13 rd, then leave em sit for a few days, they will be easier then.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I also had trouble working the slide on mine which was very stiff and hard for me to pull back all the way. Took to latching it back all night knowing that in case of need a touch on the catch would make the slide go forward feeding in a round...ready to go. After a few nights it became much easier to rack.
I carry mine in a SmartCarry quite successfully...even in shorts and t-shirt. They have a two-gun model for large guns that can even be had in a version with a pocket for cash, credit cards, even a passport. The gun goes on the right side with 10-round mag and the 13-round mag can go in the left.
You can adjust the SmartCarry to higher or lower positions, turn it to any "time" setting around your "clock" or even wear it high along a side as an IWB holster with no clip showing over your waistline and no belt at all if you want.
Another thing I'm thinking of adding is called an Outback something-or-other...can't remember the model name but it's like a little case worn on your belt that might contain some electrical gadget. It's really a holster. Almost like open carry with camouflage. Probably quick to draw from.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have the xd45 service model, and the last couple bullets are a bit harder to load than the rest but its not impossible by hand or by using the loader it came with. the loader does make it easier if you got one with yours its very easy to reload with. if its that hard for you to load it and you dont have one i would suggest buying a loader. but as long as you can shoot well 8 rounds is more than enough for concealed carry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered an Uplula loader, cool looking gadget- thanks for the tip!

Now, I need to find some 13 rd. mags, you guys have talked me into getting the higher capacity mags for my XD .45 compact. I've seen they're out of stock in a lot of places- any thoughts?

I also need to get a spare mag holder for carry use, and a good carry holster. I have a couple in mind I need to research more. Any thoughts?

you really dont need to carry that many rounds i never carry a spare mag, honestly if you need to shoot more than 10 or 13 rounds you are either going to get shot or you have enough time to get away. so unless there is an actual shoot out that you feel the need to risk your life then you should get more mags. i have 2 and i have though about buying more so i dont have to unload the hollow points every time i go to the range cause i go at least once a week if not more.
as far as holsters i like my tagua in waist holster
http://www.taguagunleather.com/web/v3/tagua_subcategorias.php?cod_cat=35&cod_subcat=
i had an uncle mikes holster but i didnt like how you cant turn the pistol any way you want. the tagua is an ambidextrous so if i carry it on my side i can have it facing back but if i carry it behind me the facing as if it was a left handed holster. i prefer carring it inside my pants just so i dont have to worry about people seeing the barrel. when im wearing a jacket i usually use the xd gear holster that came with it, i like the way it holds the gun. and you can tighten it or loosen its grip on the gun with the Allen wrench that came with it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I had the same problems with my 13 round magazines when they were new. they loosen up with use. Still I load only 12 because the 13th fits so tight that it makes the magazine release button hard to push.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I remember when mine was new, the mags were really tough to get them fully loaded without using the mag loader. They will loosen up enough over time that they'll get a lot easier to get fully loaded. I can get 13 in with just my hands with no problem. I will say that I forgot how tough it can be because when I got a couple new mags and loaded them up I though, "Oh yeah... that is tough!"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts