Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I am a new member of this forum and so far I have found some useful information. I am also new to firearms as well. I recently went to Las Vegas for vacation and went to the Clark County shooting complex and had a blast. It was my first time shooting as well. My friend had an XDS 9mm. I fell in love with the gun. So this weekend I am attending my first gun show in hopes to buy one. I am in Virginia by the way. Would this be a smart purchase for a first time owner? Or should I go another route? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to reading the responses. I have small hands, that is why I prefer the XDS as well.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Welcome from Pa. .
Try a number of guns to be sure before you by.
You don't want to find after a better shooting and a gun that fits your hand better after you buy .

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Welcome to the forum, from S.E. Wisconsin. If the shoe fits... I mean gun, there is no reason not to purchase.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome from Illinois!
I agree, if you like it and you shoot it well, there is no reason why you should not buy it.
If after you purchase it and you find something else you like better, buy that too... This is how we start our collection :)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Georgia.

·
Premium Member
127,988 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Welcome from Louisiana!

Soak up alllll the info you can and cross check it to make sure you get good info. Get any and all formal training that you can and be safe and never get complacent. And never been in a hurry when handling a firearm.

That said i hope you have gun and get many years of fun and enjoyment with shooting.

On the the gun , if its what you want. Get it. Don't Settle! And if you find you want something else even more then have the patience to save up that extra money, it will be worth it. Usually i don't recommend a new shooter get a small gun like the XDS(unless the gun just fits in the hand better than a larger one)

If its just going to be a home defense and range gun check out the XD and XDm line they will be easier to practice your fundamentals with and for home defense they have a larger capacity. But dont let me persuade you into one, if you have handled them all and the XDS is calling your name go for it. They are all great guns.

Good luck!

Also, even if just at home and the range, get you a decent holster and pick up an extra 2 magazines for it whenever you can spare the $.

And keep in mind, the money you spend on ammo will far out weigh the initial purchase cost in the long run so get the essentials early on, makes life much easier.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Welcome from Florida. You definitely have to try different guns, never buy a gun that doesn't fit your hand. Good Luck in your future purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the warm welcoming! I managed to buy an XDS 4.0 9mm at the gun show this weekend. Most of the vendors there were selling them between $550-$650. Except one! I got it for $400. I was floored. I absolutely love it. I took it to the range that afternoon. I want to get a new holster though. The plastic one that came with it has already scratched the slide slightly. Any suggestions? I also want to get some night sights and perhaps a laser sight. Thanks again for all the responses!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new XDS! Lots of holster vendors in the vendor section, depends what you want.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Welcome aboard from Texas! :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts