Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am performing in my first IDPA match on the 11th in Roanoke. I'm pretty nervous even though I consider myself an avg. to just above avg. shooter. My brother in law is going with me for his second. After his first, we made up some targets they use, and brought the dueling tree into it (6" plates). We have been practicing almost every weekend and I have even had a few clean runs although time i know needs improvement just from watching videos. What should I expect and prepare for in the match? ANy help or advice on how to go about this would be great. thanks

L

·
0 Posts
For your first few matches, just focus on accuracy. Speed will come just like anything else. The clock really messes with your head, especially when you see some of the times others are putting up and the competitive spirit takes hold of you. But don't let that pressure get to you. You really want to focus on things like your trigger finger, proper reloads, following the rules, and safety concerns when you're new because the IDPA way is not always the most natural.

Other than that, do your best, tell a lot of lies while you're not shooting, and have fun.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Need:
- 3 (can have more to make turn around faster) mag every stage (most of the time 5 stages)
- two mag mag holster and your gun holster with belt.
- A cover. Can be a vest/cut or unbutton shirt
- eyes and ears

Thats it! Have fun and Shoot 0's!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. Ya im thinking more of my button down flannels instead of a vest. Any reason to use a vest instead? I just figured I wouldn't be wearing a vest out in the real world and i know this is not real life defensive shooting, but i want to treat it as so as much as possible with what I am going to be wearing and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oic. hmmmmm. well I have a week to figure out what I want. I practice with mostly my flannals right now so that's probably what ill use at least for this first one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It has rules and scoring, it's a game. That being said, use what you feel comfortable with. I usually shoot IDPA wearing a flannel shirt unbuttoned since I don't shoot IDPA all that often. During the summer months when it is 100+ deg and 90% humidity the club doesn't require cover since we sweat standing in the shade. Have fun and concentrate on accuracy, as you improve speed will come. If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know I will have fun. I have fun just shooting in my back yard at paper all day haha doing it as competition? heck yes haha

·
Registered
74 Posts
"You move and shoot fast, and handle your weapon as well as anybody...but are you using your sights?" LOL, that was an experienced competitor mentoring me during my first IDPA match in which I placed DEAD LAST. Most fun ever with a handgun.
Go slow, be accurate and safe, and have fun. You'll be impressed how fast you improve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts