Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the range a couple of times this week with my new XDS and a handful of boxes of Federal Aluminium 9mm FMJ. I jumped on the ammo after reading all the positive reviews and seeing the cost of 20 cents a round. My first day at the range I went through 70 rounds and had a misfire on the 2nd mag. Striker hit the primer but no bang.. Yesterday at the range I went through roughly 150 rounds and had 4 more misfires.. 2 of them myself and 2 of them my buddy. I would have said it could have been me limp wristing or something, but my friend is a state trooper who is much more experienced with guns than I and he had 2 himself with my gun/ammo. With that said, I'm clearly going to try and switch up ammo, but is this something to be concerned of with my gun? I've read nothing but good things about the ammo and wasn't expecting issues myself like this. The gun wasn't dirty as it was never used previously. I cleaned it up good with seal 1 after the last 150 rounds and will try some brass this week, but I just wanted to know if others had similar experiences or if its something I should be concerned about with the gun?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
240 Posts
I think UGADawgs is correct , give the striker channel a real good cleaning and do not oil it . Not sure but mine was dirty and had a bit of oil or grease of some kind in there when I bought it. I cleaned entire gun real well before shooting it and never had a problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I would think a brand new gun would be clean... but I guess you never know. I cleaned it up well with Seal 1 after shooting, its a cleaner/lube in one.. I'm hoping to go again this week and I have a few boxes of ammo left. I'll see if I can mix it up with some brass and better diagnose the issue.

Thanks again

·
Registered
472 Posts
If it is a lube, you don't want it in the striker channel. I would take the striker out and clean with brake cleaner or alcohol.

No lube at all in striker channel, needs to be dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thanks, I would think a brand new gun would be clean... but I guess you never know. I cleaned it up well with Seal 1 after shooting, its a cleaner/lube in one.
New guns are shipped from the factory with a coating of preservative. They should be stripped, cleaned, and properly lubed before use - it generally isn't a problem but upon ocasion it can be.

In the case of the XDs, you need to do slightly more than what SA recommends for a field strip to do the initial cleaning - that is, you need to clean the striker channel and to do so you have to remove the striker assembly. James has a nice guide on his website at Springfield Armory XDS Detail Disassembly Pt. 3 of 6 Tacti-Cool.com

Don't forget, when you reassemble the striker, leave it bone dry, no lube at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks I just did a typical field strip and clean, I didn't remove the striker.. I'll try again this week and see what happens, if I still have issues I'll try cleaning the striker.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also, these guns need break-in use--everything is moving and sliding against newly machined surfaces. Your job is to finish the machining process by running a few hundred rounds through it. Even the beloved Glocks need this break-in time. . . .I have a Glock 27 that was jamming, FTF, light strikes etc. for about the first 300 rounds and then one day it just started running perfectly with no problems since.

My 3.3 XD-S .45 has had a single jam in about 300 rounds that occurred when I was doing a weak-hand drill when I more than likely limp-wristed it. I've run four different types of ammo through it so far with no other issues and it seems to have settled in nicely. I haven't tried the Aluminum Federal yet, although I picked up a few boxes last weekend.

My recommendation as others have stated is to clean it good and don't spare the lube for the next few hundred rounds. It will get better with use. . . . --Rob

·
Registered
350 Posts
Next time it doesn't go bang, check to see if it is fully in battery. You will probably find that the slide did not fully return.

Shooting it more may help, cleaning the striker channel may help, or it may need to actually get fixed.

This is apparently a common problem (my xds45 had it). It took a trip to SA for mine to get fixed. The good news is, they did fix it. Once the gun is running right, you will love shooting it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Thanks I just did a typical field strip and clean, I didn't remove the striker.. I'll try again this week and see what happens, if I still have issues I'll try cleaning the striker.
o_O I do not understand your reasoning.

If you spend a few minutes to clean the striker assy & channel before you go to the range, and you still experience the issues you will immediately be able to rule out striker channel goo as the culprit and focus on other possibilities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
o_O I do not understand your reasoning.

If you spend a few minutes to clean the striker assy & channel before you go to the range, and you still experience the issues you will immediately be able to rule out striker channel goo as the culprit and focus on other possibilities.
Because the directions posted above clearly state Springfield does not recommend doing it. I would rather try and follow sprinfields instructions on the typical cleaning and see if the issue re-occurs. If it doesn't my options are to either try and clean the striker myself and/or send the gun to SA to resolve. If I disassemble the striker myself, does that void any warranty?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Because the directions posted above clearly state Springfield does not recommend doing it. I would rather try and follow sprinfields instructions on the typical cleaning and see if the issue re-occurs. If it doesn't my options are to either try and clean the striker myself and/or send the gun to SA to resolve. If I disassemble the striker myself, does that void any warranty?

Thanks,

Chris

No.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
You seem like you may be a bit timid about cleaning the striker channel just I was about doing the PRP spring kit. I'll be honest, cleaning the striker channel is not as challenging as it sounds. Just watch the videos and you'll see that it really isn't that intimidating. Once you do more on these sweet little pistols you'll gain confidence and see that the only thing to fear is fear itself. ;):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You seem like you may be a bit timid about cleaning the striker channel just I was about doing the PRP spring kit. I'll be honest, cleaning the striker channel is not as challenging as it sounds. Just watch the videos and you'll see that it really isn't that intimidating. Once you do more on these sweet little pistols you'll gain confidence and see that the only thing to fear is fear itself. ;):)
I absolutely am... I'm rather new to guns in general and don't want to pull it apart further than needed if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I completely understand. :) I've had my XDS for about 2 months and its the first gun I'd owned. I am not that mechanically inclined other than changing the oil and spark plugs in my car. I just tackled the PRP kit on Sunday and Dude, let me tell you, I was sweating with it in pieces on my work bench, hah! But I did it and now I feel that I really know this piece and can work on it when needed. :cool:

Watch these:

·
Registered
264 Posts
... I'm rather new to guns in general and don't want to pull it apart further than needed if I didn't have to.
Sorry, Chris! I guess that I am so used to being comfortable working on Things Mechanical (and surrounded by people of like mind/experience) that I sometimes forget that we all had to start somewhere. :wink:

Two little tricks for future reference in your mental toolkit:

(1) When dis-/assembling components that are spring-loaded (that if mishandled might shoot parts into space) a BIG zip lock bag can be very handy. With the assembly and your hands in the bag, if things fly, there is a good chance that they will be captured in the bag.

(2) When starting a machine screw, slowly & with light pressure, rotate it backwards until you feel/hear the thread click down and then go forwards. That will keep you from ever cross-threading a machine screw.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I love my xds 4.0! As UGADAWG said just watch a video about it its really easy. I wiped mine with a Qtip and some alcohol to make it nice and clean. Or you could use some CPL just make sue to get the excess oil out so it doesn't get gummed up. Check out this link to get the striker assembly out.

Oops just realized it was already posted lol. Must show its a good VID!

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
I love my xds 4.0! As UGADAWG said just watch a video about it its really easy. I wiped mine with a Qtip and some alcohol to make it nice and clean. Or you could use some CPL just make sue to get the excess oil out so it doesn't get gummed up. Check out this link to get the striker assembly out.

Oops just realized it was already posted lol. Must show its a good VID!

Agree on using alcohol, using a CLP---not so much.

·
Registered
207 Posts
agreed alcohol really cleans things up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts