Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my AR (Bushmaster M4gery) for quite a while now, but finally got around to taking it out to shoot.

It shot very well, and was extremely accurate. However, there was one issue that I have to address before I can consider it reliable. Most of the time, after a round was ejected, the bolt would return, but would NOT load a new round (it didn't jam, it just didn't want to push the round forward. Basically turned my AR into a single shot). I used 2 kinds of magazines- 1 Bushmaster factory mag with gray magpul follower, and a bunch of Cproducts mags with orange magpul followers. Most of the time, it would happen with the Bushmaster mag, but it did happen a few times with the Cproducts ones.

about 75% of the ammo was Wolf military classic .223, and the other 25% was that green-tipped igman stuff.

So with all the facts laid out there, does anybody have any ideas as to what it could be?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Also your mixing ammo and mags, ruins testing.

20 through one, 20 through the other. Record results.
20 of diff ammo through one, then the other. Record results and get back to us.

+100

It sounds like your gun is short-stroking. Is it just like you got it from the factory? Carbine length gas system I'm guessing? How much lube did you put on the rifle?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a few Pmags, I just forgot to take them with me. I didn't mix up ammo in the same magazine, but I get what you mean. Could the issue really boil down to a certain kind of magazine or ammo? I knew the AR platform could be finicky, but not to that extent. I'll have to see next time I go out...

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+100

It sounds like your gun is short-stroking. Is it just like you got it from the factory? Carbine length gas system I'm guessing? How much lube did you put on the rifle?
Sorry, didn't see this until after I already posted. As far as upgrades go, all of the internals are still factory original, and yes, it is a carbine-length gas system. The only thing I did to it was put a new grip and a quad rail on. The day before shooting, I applied some CLP to the high friction areas pretty liberally, but didn't drench it or anything. Certainly is strange though, has anybody heard of this happening to a new rifle?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Get that carrier and bolt dripping wet for the first few hundred rounds. Do not shoot Wolf or other lower powered ammo. Use mil-spec at first. Could be a bad magazine, but it appears to be just short stroking. You did not say if it short stroked with all the ammo, just the Wolf, or if the Igman did it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts