Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the stippling I have done so far I have never done it before but like the way its turned out so far. Here they are let me know what you think

This next one is after my first pass it was a little ruff as it was my first time went back over later and cleaned it up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the way the stippling feels and looks it feels way better than any grip tape or any other options. The stippling is kinda love or hate it a lot of people don't like it I know

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks like you pressed the tip of the iron in too deep. However, you may have been going for a much more aggressive stippling job.

I've never attempted this before, what are your thoughts on the job. Any advice for others thinking of doing this?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went through once with really small dots but didn't really like the feel of it and it looked to uniform so i went back and went a little bigger on the stipples and liked the way it was. It really wasn't that hard just takes a little patience and tinkering to find the way you like it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IWB doesn't bother my skin like you think it would Im a thinner guy 5'10 170lb so it might rub enough to irritate on some of you bigger guys.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dc,

As long as it works, that's what matters. I am more concerned with functionality over form. I word of caution, though. You said you went through once. It seems that your pattern is pretty deep. Just remember, these polymer frames flex and warp some during recoil. I would keep an eye on yours for the next couple hundred rounds or so. Especially the one where you went through. basically, you just don't want that to act as a catalyst for a crack to begin.

I like where you chose to do the borders, however.

That's one reason I keep my patterns shallow. These are probably less than 1/32" deep.

-Tim

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Forget all the haters DC. Looks good. You have bigger balls than I. Glad you are happy with it as you only really get one shot at stippling lol.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
not my thing but its the improved grip that counts.

·
Registered
276 Posts
One of the worst stipple jobs Ive seen, but you are a brave man. As long as you like it. Thank you for sharing, cuz seeing this makes me want to leave a job like this to someone with more experience.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
IWB doesn't bother my skin like you think it would Im a thinner guy 5'10 170lb so it might rub enough to irritate on some of you bigger guys.
Give it time... I stippled just the backstrap on my M&P to make sure it was comfortable when carrying IWB. I had it on for a month until it drove me crazy. Luckily it was removable... I would be a little worried about the integrity of the frame with such deep holes in it too. Ported barrel on a carry gun? You better hope you never have to shoot in the dark, from the hip, or close to your body if ever needed. Its your gun though...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Smitty908, that's a sweet looking bitone!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dc,

As long as it works, that's what matters. I am more concerned with functionality over form. I word of caution, though. You said you went through once. It seems that your pattern is pretty deep. Just remember, these polymer frames flex and warp some during recoil. I would keep an eye on yours for the next couple hundred rounds or so. Especially the one where you went through. basically, you just don't want that to act as a catalyst for a crack to begin.

I like where you chose to do the borders, however.

That's one reason I keep my patterns shallow. These are probably less than 1/32" deep.
sorry have not been online in a few days moving and such. but no smitty(Whats up in B'ham from Nashville grew up in Birmingham)I never went through it I dont like the way it looks in the pictures looks much better holding it in your hand and looking at it also the grip is perfect. But no the holes really are not that deep just large in diameter making the plastic push out and raise up and look kinda deep.the polymer is all still there not much smoked off while doing it also used a really thick tip w a dulled point. If i though about it I would have mic'd out the grip before and after to see the diff but i didnt. When i did it instead of just touching it w/ the iron and pulling back I would touch it and just hold it there for a sec w/ really no pressure using a really thick pointed tip none the less I dont feel the durability of the frame has been affected at all but ill be putting a lot of rounds through it again soon and test it out. but when holding it and looking at it from an angle its raised up a lot which brings me to mention
Looks kinda like this...

...Sorry
thats pretty funny

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to each his own, as long as you like it, hows the ported barrel model? i'm more interested in that.
Man I love it kinda loud but it feels like nothing when shooting it almost no muzzle flip when I shoot it I can shoot a entire mag very fast while keeping a good grouping which is why I like it

Give it time... I stippled just the backstrap on my M&P to make sure it was comfortable when carrying IWB. I had it on for a month until it drove me crazy. Luckily it was removable... I would be a little worried about the integrity of the frame with such deep holes in it too. Ported barrel on a carry gun? You better hope you never have to shoot in the dark, from the hip, or close to your body if ever needed. Its your gun though...
Yes ported barrel on a carry gun I have heard and read all the opinions and debates on ported carry guns out there and I still choose to go ported because if I pull my gun I am pulling it to put someone down and IMO lets face it to do this your going to want to make a lot of good hits at center mass quickly and the faster you can send out 3,4 or even 5 rounds that hit center mass the better off you are and I can do that fastest w/ the ported barrel as for retention shooting flash is not bad at night for me as for the exhaust its more uncomfortable than anything but really can be avoided by being aware of the ports and training accordingly tilting the ports away from you, or tilting your head or keeping pistol back along my side and train like this so in a real situation its natural and not a issue that is what works well for me and my list of advantages out weighs the cons.

·
Registered
532 Posts
After you cleaned it up, it looks much better. That one pic with the dust and hair on it was kinda scary.

Some people are going to tell you you ruined it, but that means you only ruined your chance of selling it for fair market value. Its worth more to you now, any non standard modification will draw scorn and make people say why.

You have to be commended, you have one under your belt, and your next one will be cleaner from the get go. Maybe pick up some scrap plastic and practice different patterns until you find one that looks hot.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Kudos to you! +1 to disregarding people who simply have a one-line "looks bad" response. It's a fair bet they don't have the cojones to attempt what you did. All that matters is what it is to you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts