Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my XD40 a week ago and decide to go to the range with a friend. I have NEVER shot a handgun before, or ever been to a gun range.

I did a field strip and oil prior to the outing and the gun worked flawlessly! It really was a fun time.

I scanned some of my targets from today (I borrowed them from the online shooting competition, hope no one minds). The first one is from about 10 yards and the rest were at 21 yards. For my first time ever shooting I thought I did pretty well, but obviously lots of room for improvement.

I definitely had a shaky hand from the nerves, hopefully I have them all worked out for the next time I go. I'm a lefty btw.

7 for 7 rounds hit paper:

11 for 12 landed:

6 for 10:

9 for 10:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not bad at all for your first time out! Especially your first target.

If I could offer a little observation here, as your targets progressed the groups opened up. I think you are anticipating recoil a little bit. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little dry firing and more practice.

Keep up it up!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I got my XD40 a week ago and decide to go to the range with a friend. I have NEVER shot a handgun before, or ever been to a gun range.
I'm a lefty btw.
Not Bad for a newbie. :cool:

Notice however that all your groups are centered LOW and LEFT.

:grin:

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Pretty good shooting for your first time out. Being new, I wouldn't do any significant practice past 7-10 yards. Anything over that won't be beneficial until you get the fundamentals down. Best of luck, and keep it up!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips guys! That target with the tips on it helps alot. I really thought yesterday that I was starting to tighten my grip as I pulled the trigger.

I also read somewhere that it might help to put some snap caps in my mag when I'm shooting to see if I'm anticipating recoil. I might try this as well.

I really wanna go back out there today and shoot some more but I just don't have the time today :(

Anyways thanks again for the tips guys, I'm sure I'll be posting my targets for a while asking for advice from the experienced.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey, i'm a lefty too! Nice job for your first time! I shoot low to the right. I think I might need to make sure i'm not? tightening my fingers...

·
Registered
815 Posts
A .40 is a very snappy round that takes getting used to, especially for a new shooter. by the looks of ur doing just fine. i had a xd.40 service and at first i had wide groups but after about 3-4 range trips they were very tight. practice makes perfect. keeping shooting away!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ha I'm not the only one to get fooled by this forums weird format. 2008 post haha. Odd how they almost recommend posts that are super dead. I learned the hard way. :)

·
Registered
9,556 Posts
Hopefully he's still shooting 6 years later. We need all the noobs and converts we can get.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Impressive I start new shooters on 22s cause its easier to process. Starting with a 40 like that very good job. On phone can't post it but the xd45 subforum. There's a shoots low thread read up have fun.

Edit: stupid cell phones xd 45 shoots low XDTalk Forums

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey, i'm a lefty too! Nice job for your first time! I shoot low to the right. I think I might need to make sure i'm not? tightening my fingers...
Me too... Handy to retain this adjusted chart... My current misses are 4-5 o'clock to the Right. Thanks for sharing... To the OP good luck and nice shooting!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts