Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL;DR Version: I was sloppy at first but after some practice I got a little better.

I'll start off by saying that I am not a great shooter; and I have had problems shooting low/left with all the pistols I have owned including Glock, Sig, and HK. The XDS is my first SA pistol and I bought it used based solely for its size and caliber (.45ACP) to use for concealed carry.

When I first got it I put 100 rounds through it and I was all over the place.

I then found a small backstrap and installed a PRP kit right before my CHL class. This was my target, consistently low/left. This was my second time to fire my XDS. The farther the distance the worse it got. 50 rounds fired at the target from 3,7, and 15 yards. My CHL instructor was one-holing his target with his Glock 34 which made me realize I need to focus on the basics.

So yesterday I fired 100 more rounds on my third range trip and really tried to have more front sight focus and consistent grip without squeezing harder. I found I was flinching even while dry firing so I tried to relax more. I only had one each of my 5 and 7 round mags with me so that helped slow me down and not get too trigger happy. This is also my first time shooting after LASIK so I don't know if they corrected an eye dominance or if it's just a coincidence.

First 12 rounds, 7 yards.

Second 12 rounds, 7 yards.

Third 12 rounds, 7 yards.

Fourth 12 rounds, 7 yards.

The last 52 rounds were fired as fast as I could acquire a sight picture at the head and center of mass. I'm surprised I stayed on target, I think I'm starting to get a feel for this pistol. Obviously I have a long way to go but it's nice to see improvements.

So far 250 rounds with zero issues, I can safely say this XDS will make a nice reliable carry piece.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Nice shooting. I had cataract surgery on both eyes and they screwed up and left me left eye dominant. Went to another doc and got right eye LASIK . Right is now 20/15. Good stuff !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Very nice.
I had LASIK without ever thinking about shooting, and they left my dominant eye with reading (close) vision and my other eye for distance. I can see the front sight fairly clearly, but trouble with rifle iron sights on a distant target.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
Big improvement. You appear to have developed a good thought process for improving your accuracy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. The Dr. asked me which eye was dominant and I honestly had no idea. I may have been shooting with the wrong eye all these years. I was born left handed but taught to be right handed early on in school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts