Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first gun last week (xd40 service) and went shooting for the first time today. For some reason I kept shooting low and right. I got a little better as I kept shooting but not much better. I never expected the would would have that much kick. Anyway, I guess I will get better with practice. I can tell that I am already addicted and can't wait to go shooting again.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
You need to dry fire. I would say you are pushing the trigger and flinching. Dry fire is the only cure. The .40 is a bad round to learn with, too much recoil impulse for a new shooter, you probably should have gotten a 9mm first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what I am doing. Several times I did the the trigger out the whole way, so that it could reset, and when I would pull the trigger I would flinch even though nothing happened.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Infidel#1, you beat me to it as I was going to post the same thing. Good job.

Also, re your sig. Waxman is just another one of the idiot liberals we have to suffer in this state, along with Maxine Waters, who thinks it's ok for a cop killer to do what he did and flee the country.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
wgnzlz said:
I bought my first gun last week (xd40 service) and went shooting for the first time today. For some reason I kept shooting low and right. I got a little better as I kept shooting but not much better. I never expected the would would have that much kick. Anyway, I guess I will get better with practice. I can tell that I am already addicted and can't wait to go shooting again.
Next time out get a big silhouette target and just shoot at it for fun. Don't worry about your groups, just have some fun filling it full of holes. Get used to how the pistol feels and go with it. Just like anything, a new sport takes time, so have fun and shoot.

Take a training course if you can, learn from others, read books and magazines and learn some more. Enjoy the shooting sport and don't worry about any minor details. (for now)

When I first started offroad motorcycling, I bought a 1981 Suzuki DR-500.

a really big bike for a beginner, but I did OK
anyways, yeah I agree that a .40 for a beginner is a big bite, but you'll do OK. It takes time.

Most importantly have fun and shoot safely.

·
Registered
527 Posts
wgnzlz said:
Welcome! Be warned though, for some reason guns get lonely and soon you will have thoughts about another one, then another one...it never stops :D !

·
Registered
146 Posts
retired said:
Infidel#1, you beat me to it as I was going to post the same thing. Good job.

Also, re your sig. Waxman is just another one of the idiot liberals we have to suffer in this state, along with Maxine Waters, who thinks it's ok for a cop killer to do what he did and flee the country.
Sadly, he is just one of several worthless idiot reps in your state. The most sickening ones are in NY and MA though.

·
Registered
603 Posts
My first gun was a XD-40 service too. The 40 has some kick to it but it's not unmanageable, even for a new shooter. Try not to get discouraged; take your time and have fun. As mentioned earlier, do some practice dry firing -- make sure gun is unloaded! When dry firing, try focusing on the front sight while squeezing the trigger. Make sure it stays in the same place through your pull. Also, try to make sure that you are 'seperating' your index finger from the rest of your hand... when that moves and squeezes, try to make sure that you don't move or squeeze the rest of your grip as well.

It'll take some practice, but hey, 40 WWB isn't that expensive. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other thing, I was shooting at 25yds. The range that I go to doesn't have the targets on an automatic rail system or anything like that, so if there are other people shooting you have to shoot at 25yds. If possible,
should I move in closer until I get used to shooting. I spoke to a buddy of mine that shoots a kahr mk40 elite and he said he isn't very accurrate outside of 10yds either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
wgnzlz said:
One other thing, I was shooting at 25yds. The range that I go to doesn't have the targets on an automatic rail system or anything like that, so if there are other people shooting you have to shoot at 25yds. If possible,
should I move in closer until I get used to shooting. I spoke to a buddy of mine that shoots a kahr mk40 elite and he said he isn't very accurrate outside of 10yds either.
You're not allowed to place the target closer? There is no reason to shoot out that far, unless just doing it for fun. I shoot between 3 and 10 yards.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Print this out and shoot at it.
God, I wish every problem was that simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Infidel#1 said:
wgnzlz said:
You're not allowed to place the target closer? There is no reason to shoot out that far, unless just doing it for fun. I shoot between 3 and 10 yards.
The target get tacked to the wall and you shoot from 25yds. If you want to shoot closer, you have to walk up closer to the target. All of the ranges nearby are the same way. Now I don't feel too bad. I thought everyone shot at 25yds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
manygunner said:
You need to dry fire. I would say you are pushing the trigger and flinching. Dry fire is the only cure. The .40 is a bad round to learn with, too much recoil impulse for a new shooter, you probably should have gotten a 9mm first.
I think you misspelled ".22" :wink:

But seriously... A 22 is a great learning gun. Ammo is dirt cheap and they are easy to shoot.

I generally go through about 200 rounds on a range trip. For .22 ammo that is $9 for decent ammo. The same amount of .40 is $23 for the cheapest reloads I can find.

I think your XD needs a "little friend" :D

Dan

PS Make sure you have good hearing protection. I flinch as much from noise as I do from recoil. I double up (plugs and muffs) but I still jump when the guy in the next lane lets off something big.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Custard said:
manygunner said:
I think you misspelled ".22" :wink:

But seriously... A 22 is a great learning gun. Ammo is dirt cheap and they are easy to shoot.

I generally go through about 200 rounds on a range trip. For .22 ammo that is $9 for decent ammo. The same amount of .40 is $23 for the cheapest reloads I can find.

I think your XD needs a "little friend" :D

Dan

PS Make sure you have good hearing protection. I flinch as much from noise as I do from recoil. I double up (plugs and muffs) but I still jump when the guy in the next lane lets off something big.
My XD will get a little friend the moment someone makes a .22 Conversion for a XD. I have one for my CZ so I can practice with the same trigger and grip. I agree with you as far as .22 beign a great learnign gun and fun, but sooner or late one has to shoot something with recoil and muzzle blast and the .22 does not do much to help there. Even an experienced .22 shooter will develop a flinck if he suddenly switches to a .40. They are two different animals.

·
Registered
778 Posts
plain white paper plate for the win.

focus on the front sight until its the size of a golf ball

·
Registered
146 Posts
wgnzlz said:
Infidel#1 said:
wgnzlz said:
The target get tacked to the wall and you shoot from 25yds. If you want to shoot closer, you have to walk up closer to the target. All of the ranges nearby are the same way. Now I don't feel too bad. I thought everyone shot at 25yds.
Oh my, that sucks. The outdoor ranges i go to, i can stick the target in the ground anywhere. My local indoor range has the target hanging on a cable that can be at any distance i want up to 25 yrds.

two different ranges

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The XD seems to be really sensitive to finger placement. Try placing the fingertip centered on the trigger (or thereabouts) and keeping/re-placing it in the same spot at each shot. That helps with me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have to say that I agree that a XD 40 isn't a bad beginner handgun. It was my first gun, and I have pretty good groups at 7, 15, and 25 yards for being a beginner I'm told. I have however had a lot of experience with high powered rifles, so I knew to expect the recoil and just to stay through the shot. I think the main thing is just practice. I have a buddy who is military, shot for many years, and has worse groups than I do now that I've got my XD broken in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts