Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to the range last Wednesday. Went by myself to get a little practice in. Went through about 130 rounds. That puts me up around 650 total since I have owned it (couple months). First handgun.

This first one is 1 mag iso stance and about 15 yrds. They are all there although it doesnt look like it.

second one is 1 mag at 25 yrds.

1 mag 35 yards. yeah there are only 15 holes... lol.

1 mag 15 yards right hand

1 mag 15 yards left handed. first time I have actually tried left handed. def was wierd. more practice on that to come for sure.

Well what do you think? any pointers? I feel really comfortable. It seems there are a few anticipations on some of these targets so I will work on that. Thanks for the tips!

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
That looks pretty good! I would spend more time at 7-15, instead of 15-35 yards. You won't find many real life situations past 3-7 yards. Overall, good shooting considering the distance.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I had that same thought, i just figured that since its even easier then 15 to 25 I should practice a little longer range. but I do both. How much tighter should I expect the groupings at 25 to 35 yards with a service after I get good?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can give some advice on shooting distances. As far as defensive shooting and what you should practice at to get all of your important things down like stance, grip, breathing you should probabaly shoot at 7 yards. Persoanlly I shoot almost always at 7-10 yards unless I am practicing to hunt with a handgun. Once you can put an entire magazine worth of ammunition through a 1-2 inch hole in the center of your target without flyers then you should move back. Personally that's what has worked for me and people I have helped teach.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the advice guys!

So I should be able to score 2 inch holes at 7 yards.... that will be my next range report then. How much will the service eventually hold me back?

can a really good shooter with a subby or service shoot 2 inch holes at 25 or 35?

excuse my noobness.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think the service will hold you back much. For a first handgun with only a few months of range time that's better than most i'd hazard. Practice with random snap caps in your mags to catch your flinch and you should be good to go.

Everyone has their own preferences on ranges, 7 yards being the generally recognized self defense range. I personally practice at 15 yards for accuracy, which translates into accurate draw-fire practice at 7. Ragged holes at 25 yards is good braggin rights imo ;)

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Very good shooting. Other than those 3 that dipped down out of the black on the 25 yd it looks like a better group than your 15 yd. Keep up the practice. Good job.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That's pretty darn good. All those are COM groups. I would suggest shooting from no more than 10 yds for at least 80% of your shooting. Shooting no more than 100 round a session. 50 slow fire. Take time to notice what you are doing. The second 50 I would shoot double taps from the draw at 5 to 7 yds if the range allows this. Slow is fast. Get your hits with out trying for speed from the holster. That will come on its own.

If you ever are going to have to go guns on BG you want that hammer to put em down. If your taking long shot you very well be outside a justifiable shoot depending on what state you live in.

Enjoy shooting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts