Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 3250 trigger pulls that resulted in a bang, I finally pulled the trigger today with no result. It made me a little sad. I'm not sure if it was a problem with the gun or the ammo. I was using the USA reloaded ammo.

The culprit was a light primer strike.

It was in a Friday night IPSC style league. I was moving to a shooting position while doing a reload. There was already a round in the chamber. When I fired at the next target the striker went forward and nothing happened. I thought at first that I must have run the gun dry with my thumb on the slide release so that it didn't lock back, and there wasn't a bullet in the chamber. I racked the slide and a live round popped out. I continued to finish the course and went back and grabbed the round afterward. There was a nice little dent in the primer.

How often is something like this the guns fault, and how often the ammo's fault? Or is it a tossup?

As a side note, one of the shooters on my squad today (and the RO for all of my runs) was Mark from this season of Top Shot :). He's a local guy and I heard he was a regular at this club, although I had never met him until tonight. Mark and Cliff (also on this season of Top Shot) were both at the IDPA event this past Sunday, but were on a different squad and didn't get to see either of them shoot.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If all your other shots were fine it probably was ammo.

Do you have the reduced power striker spring?

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Probably ammo related...the loudest sounds are a click when there should be a bang and a bang when there should be a click! ;)

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Is there anyone on this forum that wouldn't be extremely happy if they shot 3250 bullets before their first failure to fire? :D Doesn't matter what caused.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've had a few go "click" and they weren't even light strikes. Sometimes a primer just isn't prime.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anyone on this forum that wouldn't be extremely happy if they shot 3250 bullets before their first failure to fire? :D Doesn't matter what caused.

Haha, I'm still extremely happy with this gun. I figured it was probably a problem with the ammo, bad primer or something. It just made me a little sad to hear that click when I had only ever heard bangs when pulling the trigger.

I was just thinking about it a little more, and if it continues to happen I might already know what the problem was. I've heard that you don't want to put any lube or anything in the striker channel. I just started using froglube, and for the first few coats I set the slide out in the sun and then just slathered froglube over the entire slide. I'm wondering if some of the froglube creeped into that striker channel. If it happens another time I'll probably give it a little cleaning to clear that out and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Haha, I'm still extremely happy with this gun. I figured it was probably a problem with the ammo, bad primer or something. It just made me a little sad to hear that click when I had only ever heard bangs when pulling the trigger.

I was just thinking about it a little more, and if it continues to happen I might already know what the problem was. I've heard that you don't want to put any lube or anything in the striker channel. I just started using froglube, and for the first few coats I set the slide out in the sun and then just slathered froglube over the entire slide. I'm wondering if some of the froglube creeped into that striker channel. If it happens another time I'll probably give it a little cleaning to clear that out and see if that helps.
I have HEARD the same, lube accumulating and gumming up in the striker channel. Have not experienced it myself yet.

·
Premium Member
21,761 Posts
Have you done your oil change for your XD?

Remove the striker roll pin to clean out the fire pin area and replace the roll pin with a new one.

·
Registered
667 Posts
There are 3 possible culprits here: 1. Primer on the reloaded round was not properly "seated", feel the round or set it on a flat surface, if it wobbles, the primer is not seated like it should be. 2. Striker channel is dirty, very little gunk can affect the striker from impacting the primer like it should, especially if the gunk is accumulated down at the end of the channel next to the hole where the firing pin goes thru the slide to hit the round. 3. Lastly, if your striker retainer pin is broken, it will inpede the striker enough to cast light primer strikes. Sometimes the pin will "split" at the end of the pin that holds the striker, thus "flaring or widening" a little. Inspect, clean and replace, you will be ok!!:)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you done your oil change for your XD?

Remove the striker roll pin to clean out the fire pin area and replace the roll pin with a new one.

Yep, did this fairly shortly after getting the gun. Put in a PRP roll pin in it.

There are 3 possible culprits here: 1. Primer on the reloaded round was not properly "seated", feel the round or set it on a flat surface, if it wobbles, the primer is not seated like it should be. 2. Striker channel is dirty, very little gunk can affect the striker from impacting the primer like it should, especially if the gunk is accumulated down at the end of the channel next to the hole where the firing pin goes thru the slide to hit the round. 3. Lastly, if your striker retainer pin is broken, it will inpede the striker enough to cast light primer strikes. Sometimes the pin will "split" at the end of the pin that holds the striker, thus "flaring or widening" a little. Inspect, clean and replace, you will be ok!!:smile:
I'm going to wait until I shoot it this next Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday. If it happens again I'll investigate a little deeper. Right now I think I'll just hope it was a problem with the ammo. Unfortunately didn't keep the problem round so I can't look at the primer right now. I just picked it up, glanced at the primer, then got rid of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts