Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an XDS 4.0 in 9mm about a week ago and finally got a chance to take it to the range today. Simply put , I love it. Put about 300 rounds threw it, Federal, Remington , Winchester white box. Not a single problem all day, even toward the end when the thing was pig dirty. Every round fed, fired and ejected. I sent about 50 down range nice and slow then put it threw the paces. Double taps, triples , rapid fire both clips , you name it. I was also impressed with how quickly it got back on target and how fast the front sight picks up. Glad I chose the XDS 4.0 over the shield , which my wife has and I do like it, but the xds 4.0 wins hands down IMO. A lot of fun to shoot, very happy with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Thanks for the range report, Gunlvr, I am really conflicted of whether to get a XDS 9mm 3.3 or the 4.0. I like the way my XDS 45 conceals, so I am wondering how you think the extra length will affect concealed carry.

Oh, and welcome and congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you got a real winner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the range report, Gunlvr, I am really conflicted of whether to get a XDS 9mm 3.3 or the 4.0. I like the way my XDS 45 conceals, so I am wondering how you think the extra length will affect concealed carry.

Oh, and welcome and congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you got a real winner.[/

I can't compare to a 3.3 cause I've never carried one but I can compare it to the shield which measures almost identical to the XDS 3.3. IMO with the 7 round mag there really isn't much , if any noticeable difference , of course some people are more sensitive and that opinion may vary. I also added a pinky extension on the 7 round clip and that made it very comfortable to grip & shoot.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Georgia and congrats

·
Registered
120 Posts
I picked up a 9mm XDS 4.0 on Saturday, and am planning to go to the range on Friday. Hope mine performs in a similar fashion. The more I examine the XDS 4.0 the more I like my decision to trade my Kahr P380.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a 9mm XDS 4.0 on Saturday, and am planning to go to the range on Friday. Hope mine performs in a similar fashion. The more I examine the XDS 4.0 the more I like my decision to trade my Kahr P380.
Congrats on a great buy, let us know how it goes

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm just curious why any of you chose the 4 inch barrel over the 3.3. It's not the choice I made, but the reasons a longer barrel is a negative for me - less comfortable to appendix carry, I can shoot as well with the shorter barrel, etc. - doesn't have to matter or apply to you. So why choose the 4?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm just curious why any of you chose the 4 inch barrel over the 3.3. It's not the choice I made, but the reasons a longer barrel is a negative for me - less comfortable to appendix carry, I can shoot as well with the shorter barrel, etc. - doesn't have to matter or apply to you. So why choose the 4?
For me it wasn't a head to head choice of the 4.0 over the 3.3 . I think the XDS 3.3 is a good gun and I would be happy to own one. I chose the 4.0 mainly to compliment the variety of guns I already own .

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would pick a 4.0 9mm as a target gun,,already has the XDS 45 for EDC...longer barrel more accuracy, and the bullet travels more FPS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My reasons were similar to Gunlvr. I have several guns, Kimber Solo, Beretta Nano, and Kahr PM9, that are approximately the same size of the 3.3. So, I too chose the 4.0 to compliment those, and I wanted a single stack with 9+1 capacity. The 3.3 is a good gun, but I didn't need another pistol of that size and capacity.

·
Registered
83 Posts
since we DONT appendix carry we now use the 4.0 barrel
there is a noticable difference on the muzzle flip if you shoot them side by side one round at a time.
NOT enough to say that the 3.3 isnt a good gun but if you have a choice and you are not worried about the length compared to the difference in feel the 4.0 is a better option in our opinion ( wife, self and 2 others we asked to do a single shot comparison )

·
Registered
300 Posts

I carry the XDM 4.5 9mm appendix carry with no problems at all. Same thing with my old XD 40 Commander. So if I get around to buying an XDS, it'll be the 4.0. I'm already used to the barrel length for appendix carry. Your mileage may vary, of course.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I carry the XDM 4.5 9mm appendix carry with no problems at all. Same thing with my old XD 40 Commander. So if I get around to buying an XDS, it'll be the 4.0. I'm already used to the barrel length for appendix carry. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I appendix carry my G32 in the woods. But if I know I'll be sitting or bending over a lot, I pick something else.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I picked up an XDS 4.0 in 9mm about a week ago and finally got a chance to take it to the range today. Simply put , I love it. Put about 300 rounds threw it, Federal, Remington , Winchester white box. Not a single problem all day, even toward the end when the thing was pig dirty. Every round fed, fired and ejected. I sent about 50 down range nice and slow then put it threw the paces. Double taps, triples , rapid fire both clips , you name it. I was also impressed with how quickly it got back on target and how fast the front sight picks up. Glad I chose the XDS 4.0 over the shield , which my wife has and I do like it, but the xds 4.0 wins hands down IMO. A lot of fun to shoot, very happy with my purchase.
Sounds like you made an excellent choice, congrats and happy shooting.

·
Registered
554 Posts
With appendix carry, I find that pistols with longer barrels ride and conceal better. They do not tend to "flip out" away from the belt line like the shorter subcompacts do. I also think they tend to be more comfortable and don't jab me mid-groin LOL

Of course, appendix carry is VERY body-specific so ... what works for you/me etc...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts