Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my XDm 9 4.5 on Saturday and went to the range with my brother and my wife on Sunday. Between the two of us, the wife and I shot 500 rounds through the weapon with no problems at all. I'll still extremely new to shooting, so I was working a lot on my grip, my stance, all that stuff. Even so, my groupings started to get tighter through the day. My brother and I got another trip to the range scheduled for Wednesday night, and I can't wait.

·
Registered
408 Posts
One word. Photos. A must have here.

Congrats on the new 9! I have the 3.8" version of it, and it is my favorite gun...at least so far.

RJ

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I don't know where the targets ended up, but I'll make sure to get some pics on Wednesday.

·
Premium Member
127,175 Posts
Pics or it didn't happen! ;)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll bet your wife loves it as much as you do. Now you'll have to get one for her too!
Oh, yeah, definitely. She's living in California for work right now, but when she's done I think we're going to have a matching set.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on the new acquisition and the new hobby!

Good shooting, btw, your groups have gotten much tighter over the last 2 outings.

I picked up an XDM 9mm 3.8 compact for carry. I have an XDM 4.5 in .40, but it's a bit big for IWB carry. The .40 has a carry trigger job from Powder River Precision and shoots very nicely.

I took the 9mm compact to the range to get a feel for the stock trigger. Overall, I'm very happy with the 9mm compact. The trigger still feels very good (though obviously not as good as the .40 with the trigger job), and I was great groupings when slow firing off-hand at 5 and 7 yards and decent groupings when drawing from an OWB holster. As an added plus, I do like the concealability of the smaller frame and 13+1 with a backup magazine (or two) of 19 is more than plenty, imho.

In any case, here's a pic of the target I was using. I was practicing 2 shots to CM and 1 to head from about 5 yards, drawing from an OWB holster (sometimes from concealment). I should've taken a picture of my first string; the 2 shots to the chest hit top-center heart and were actually touching each other. Looks like I need to work on my 3rd shot to the head; the group is a bit low to me. As I get more comfortable with the new platform, I hope to get tighter groups from 7 and then 10 yards out.

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics from Wednesday's session.

This was the first mag, which was from about three yards away:

And this was the third mag, from about five yards away:

I think my trigger finger is pushing the gun to the left during firing. I did some dry fire after this range trip and noticed some of that, and I'm working on getting a neutral trigger press.

I still have a long way to go, of course, but all in all, I'm feeling okay about how I'm progressing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts