Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my brand new XD 9 to the range today. Put about 100 rounds through it on my lunch break. Shoots great very nice gun. Had one little issue that concerned me a little. The last two magazines I shot, the slide did not lock back on empty. I had this happen once before with a little pocket gun, but never with a full size gun. Anyone else ever have an issue like that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The most likely culprit seems to be how people place their thumbs. If you are riding the slide release lever it will not lock back when empty. If you are used to shooting 1911s or similar style guns the take down lever is nearly in the same spot as the XD slide release lever. Maybe have someone watch your hands as you shoot to see if this is the issue. If so it is an easy fix in repositioning your thumbs.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
The most likely culprit seems to be how people place their thumbs. If you are riding the slide release lever it will not lock back when empty. If you are used to shooting 1911s or similar style guns the take down lever is nearly in the same spot as the XD slide release lever. Maybe have someone watch your hands as you shoot to see if this is the issue. If so it is an easy fix in repositioning your thumbs.
+1 on this...happens to me all the time when I shoot 1911s and switch to my XD or XDsc....

easiest way to eliminate magazines is to test them empty---rack the slide on an empty mag and make sure the slide locks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. That was my thought too. I have that problem shooting my M&P shield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
You can try shooting it let-handed, this will also eliminate the thumb as a culprit.
It's a common problem, I started placing my right thumb on top of the base of the left thumb when shooting all of my pistols, that way it's never even close to any slide lock or safety on any gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts