Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my XD-40 yesterday, and took it out to the range today. Put 50 rounds through between the girlfriend and I. Haven't had that much fun in a long time.:p

I was up until 2 am last night, browsing the forums and reading several different views on the cleaning of the pistol...some who field strip and clean after every shoot, some who completely strip the gun and clean after every shoot.....some that clean only some things and only sometimes...

Read an opinion that stated that you only really need to strip it down and clean it about every 3000 rounds or so (can't find the post exactly, but was convincing enough). Post was at the end of the thread, so I didn't see much debate on the merits of the information. So when we came home, I just bought a bore snake and some BreakFree CLP and went through the barrel 2-3 times.

Thoughts? Good enough, or should I field strip and clean after every trip to the range?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, you're going to get some different opinions on this, of course. First, don't detail strip the gun a lot. The polymer pins and frame holes for them will gradually loosen if removed/replaced too many times. Once in a while is fine. I don't think you need to field strip after every range trip, but there isn't a hard and fast rule. Personally, I field strip and clean after about every 200-300 rounds. My choice, and it makes me happy!

Chuck

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
I think the very fact that XD people have such a wide variety in our XD cleaning habits tells you that it don't matter much. Otherwise those of us ( like me ) who don't clean very often at all would be having problems all the time.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I field strip and clean after every range trip, regardless of rounds downrange which is at minimum 50. That's just me though, ingrained cleaning habits in the brain from the Marine Corps. lol I've not done a detailed strip and clean yet, only about 300-400 rounds through it so far and will wait to do that until around 1k I'd guess.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my XD was due to its ability to run dirty. I presume you've seen the 20,000-round torture test. It's a great SHTF weapon for that reason alone.

A field-strip and clean is likely all you'd need with a more detailed clean every so often (every 3k-4k rounds?). One thing that you can do if you have access and a place to do it is to spray down the inside with CLP, let it soak, spray it down again, then use compressed air to blow it clear (you need a compressor for this--canned air isn't enough).

Good on the boresnake--you might want to find a good bore cleaner like Montana Extreme to use with it.

As others have said, you'll get lots of opinions on this, but in the end, always remember one thing: It's an XD. That stands for eXtreme Duty. And it will stand up to that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I field strip and clean it after every time I fire it...I'm still under 1000 rounds (should hit 1k after another trip or two to the range). I don't plan on doing the detailed disassembly unless the gun (or an upgrade) gives me reason to...and based on the torture tests I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I field strip and clean every 100-200 rds. I take my gun to my local range and have their gunsmith do a throughout break down and cleaning every 3k rds or so as I don't trust myself with breaking down and reassembling the gun on my own...just my .02

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I field strip and clean every 100-200 rds. I take my gun to my local range and have their gunsmith do a throughout break down and cleaning every 3k rds or so as I don't trust myself with breaking down and reassembling the gun on my own...just my .02
This is my feeling other than my range gun is my carry gun so the only time its dirty is if I fall in a mud puddle or I am heading home from the range. Plus! I love cleaning day and all my beautiful weapons laid out on the table!
TexasXD40 how much does your Gun smith charge to do a full strip? I don't want risk goofing anything up till I buy a new XD compact 45 next year.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I just run a boresnake through mine after range use, then wipe down the insides real quick and remove the bulk of the residue. I usually field strip it to do this. Then once or twice a year (maybe more if I'm REALLY doing some shooting), I'll do a detail clean, WITHOUT detail stripping it. I only detail strip my guns if they are that dirty (which none of them are) or if I'm installing something that requires it.

I detail stripped my XD when I got my Powder River trigger, and it really wasn't that dirty. That was after 1000 rounds. I did clean it all up, but it wasn't necessary.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I used to field strip and clean my XD-9 after every other range visit. So that was 200-300 rounds between cleanings, on average anyway.

I enjoy cleaning it and it's very easy to do, and I'd rather have a clean gun while handling it/dry firing it (w/snap caps) at home between trips to the range, so I'm more likely to clean it after every range trip now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts