Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new XD 40 Sub Compact yesterday and got the opportunity to fire some rounds through it today. Bought 150 rounds of cheapo Winchester 155gr FMJ rounds from Wally World. Had some nice tight shot groups with the first 2 mags and after that all my shots were low and to the left.

I'm a lefty and the range target diagram thingy said it was due to me squeezing with my hole hand. Any advice?

My groups were decent but mostly down and to the left of where I was aiming.

Buddy brought his Taurus 45 sub compact and it shot about the same as my XD as far as recoil. We also had a little 22 pistol which was fun to blast some rounds through rapid fire style.

·
Registered
208 Posts
30% grip w/ your strong hand and 70% grip w/ other hand. Only the tip of your finger should be on the trigger. Relax your shoulders, and hold your head up straight, both eyes open, lean into your shot while shooting.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Agree with Stog.

Also buy some snap-caps and spend hours "shooting" your lightswitch. They're great for practice. Snapcaps show your sight-picture movement once the trigger breaks. Additionally, you can mix them in with real rounds AT THE RANGE (of course). You will have live fire, live fire, click - and you will see an embarassing amount of movement, for which you can attempt to correct when you get to the next round. I would recommend having a friend load the magazine so you don't know what to expect. It's excellent training. -Dane

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll be getting an XD .40 SC soon as well, can snap caps be found in most gun stores? I've never seen them, are they just like a regular round but a dummy?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. I'll try adjusting next time I hit the range. I'm already doing dry fires in the living room but I'll have to invest in some snap caps.

·
Registered
173 Posts
30% grip w/ your strong hand and 70% grip w/ other hand. Only the tip of your finger should be on the trigger. Relax your shoulders, and hold your head up straight, both eyes open, lean into your shot while shooting.
X2!!! Good suggestions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts