Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

yup absolute first time at a range. I rented a USP 9mm and my friend had his glock in 40SW. I had my sillouete at 25 feet. I really need to start shooting more. I know its really scattered but thats what practice is for right? I had a couple that just missed my sillouete. I wasnt doin very well with the USP. As a matter of fact I wasnt really a fan of it. But my buddy let me shoot his glock and I absolutly fell in love with it. It was love making in my hand. I was able to put a decent group in the middle with 2 in the center then I aimed for the neck and put 4 in the jug lol. all in all I think it was a good first time. Il get a better pic up of the sillouete later:)

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
ya know... they are scattered but its on target. a bad guy wouldn't laugh about scattered groups in his chest. thats what matters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mission accomplished!

Perhaps a suggestion or two. You live in Chicago, where (if I'm not mistaken) concealed carry is currently prohibited, and your sig states that you believe in the Castle Doctrine. This leads me to believe that you are probably primarily interested in the handgun as a means of home defense.

If so, bring that target in closer, 15ft or less. I think (and the forum veterans can loudly agree/disagree) that you should start close for marksmanship OR self-defense, and then move out for marksmanship and in for (point-shooting) self-defense.

For self-defense, realistically, look at your residence. By the time you've ascertained a threat, have weapon in hand (not to discount home-carry but most people don't do it...) and are ready to fire, where will you be and where will the threat be? Take a tape measure and check it out. 25ft? It's just not gonna happen at that distance in most instances.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
  • Mission accomplished!

[*]Perhaps a suggestion or two. You live in Chicago, where (if I'm not mistaken) concealed carry is currently prohibited, and your sig states that you believe in the Castle Doctrine. This leads me to believe that you are probably primarily interested in the handgun as a means of home defense.

[*]If so, bring that target in closer, 15ft or less. I think (and the forum veterans can loudly agree/disagree) that you should start close for marksmanship OR self-defense, and then move out for marksmanship and in for (point-shooting) self-defense.

[*]For self-defense, realistically, look at your residence. By the time you've ascertained a threat, have weapon in hand (not to discount home-carry but most people don't do it...) and are ready to fire, where will you be and where will the threat be? Take a tape measure and check it out. 25ft? It's just not gonna happen at that distance in most instances.

Yea next week when I go back to the range I'm gonna bring it in to 15 feet. And actually I was talking to a few people at the range an cc is lookin really good to get passed. So man o man I hope that does but yea for now I just a HDW

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Thanks for posting good shooting for a first timer. Next time you go, get some pictures of your shooting form and we can address some of the basics. A head to toe sideways view of you about to fire and a close up of your hands holding the gun will tell the tale. If you don't know how to stand when shooting, one popular way is to think that you are a boxer. Get into a boxers stance. weak side foot in the front with about 60-65% of your weight on the front foot and both knees slightly flexed. Hands up about to lip level, back straight with good posture. Now imagine the gun into your hands, extend arms and you're there ready to fire.

Here's the hot tip. Focus your attention on the front sight post then with your peripheral vision bring the rear sight and target into frame around the all important front sight. When it's all there -->SLOWLY<-- bring the trigger back and let the gun fire, all the while keeping that front sight from moving at all. Many people will lower their head rather than raise the pistol. That makes it hard to shoot accurately and comfortably so don't get into that habit.

Don't let anybody bamboozle you. Glocks are fine weapons. They hold differently than a 1911 or XD so some people don't like them but others do. Try and get trigger time on as many brands and types of pistols as you can and see what YOU like best. Having a gun that feels good in the hand, points naturally and operates intuitively is the most important thing. WAY above brand, popularity or price. A gun can last 100 years, so a difference of a couple hundred bucks is nothing. Better to save up longer and get the best gun for you than it is to buy the wrong one now, sell it at a loss then buy the right gun later!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all this great in fo guys. I really appreciate it! I will for sure get some more picks up when I go back to the range so you guys can help me out with everything on what Im doing wrong.:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
It was love making in my hand. :)
What happens at the range...stays at the range! :shock:

Thanks for posting. Be sure to try out an XDm if you can, and then let us know how you feel. All in all, just great to see a new shooter on the forums!

RJ

·
Registered
82 Posts
Congratulations on your first range trip, I hope you know you have just taken you first steps to a new addiction. I don't know anything about a Glock but my XD-40 is a lot of fun. The last time we went to the range together just for fun. The targets we had were just like those, we made a friendly wager I could out do his Ruger 40 with my XD. The little guy in the corner was my part of the target and I gave him the big part. I almost shot the square out with mine.lol Yep practice makes perfect, now go get that XD you know you want.:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
With some practice and some good coaching, you will be surprised at how fast you will be able to bring all of those shots into a three inch circle even at 25 feet. Jon_bud gave you the basic advice, but I would add to pay attention to how you squeeze the trigger. A lot of new shooters go low and left of the aimpoint because they jerk the trigger. You want to contact it in the middle of the first finger pad and slowly squeeze it straight back in a line parallel to the barrel. The first two joints of the finger are all that moves on the whole hand. Good shooting.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Glocks are good guns, better stock trigger than the XD line IMHO..
Since you're a new shooter, you might as well get it over with and try a 1911.
Rock Island Armory Tactical is a good one start with, in either 9mm or 45ACP.
You're going to end up with 1911 eventually anyway...;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts