1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
+1 Agree 100%

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
I must be living in a cultural backwater... when did doctors start asking patients about their guns?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yea that is something wierd for a doctor to ask. But yes it shouldnt be something that affects the paitents care. The doctor doesnt need to be telling the parents about gun safety or making the patient seek other care due to there gun views. The person should already be practicing gun safety and should know proper safety with it around children. There are agencys for teaching gun safety.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
Who is a doctor to preach about gun safety. I agree with this 100%. The only exception might be if someone comes in with a gun shot wound, but even they why does it matter to the doctor who has the guns. That's for LE to figure out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Like others have mentioned, this question has never come up in one of my dr visits. If they are concerned about safety then they can give out informational packets. Refusing to see someone because of their gun ownership has nothing to do w safety though.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
From an article about the bill ...

State Rep. Jason Brodeur, a Republican, proposed the bill after a much-publicized incident in which an Ocala, Fla., pediatrician told the mother of a 4-month-old boy to find another doctor when she refused to answer questions about guns in her home. Similar legislation has been proposed in Virginia, West Virginia, Alabama and North Carolina.
My wife usually takes our son to the doctor for his checkups. She's never come back from a doctor visit and said the doctor asked questions about guns in the home. Where does it stop?

Do you have a dog? Is it a Pit Bull? Is it a Lab (more people are bitten by Labs than any other breed of dog)?

Do you have a pool?

Is your oven hot?

Is your bathtub deep enough for your child to drown in it?

Do you always buckle up your kids in the car?

Does your vehicle have front and side airbags?

Can I give you the business card of a friend of mine who sells new BMW's?

Doctors need to stick to medicine and people need to take responsibility for their own safety.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Wrong way to go about this. Such laws imply that you are entitled to your doctor's services. The government should have no say one way or the other in what you discuss with your physician.

As with all business relationships, both parties should have the right to terminate the relationship if they feel the need to do so.

·
Premium Member
127,282 Posts
Wrong way to go about this. Such laws imply that you are entitled to your doctor's services. The government should have no say one way or the other in what you discuss with your physician.

I don't think you understand the issue. You can discuss what you wish your physician, but the physicain should not have the right to terminate the relationship because you refuse to answer his/her anti-gun questions.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
I don't think you understand the issue. You can discuss what you wish your physician, but the physicain should not have the right to terminate the relationship because you refuse to answer his/her anti-gun questions.
Yes he or she absolutely should (legally, not ethically)

A physician, like any other businessman should be able to terminate any business relationship at any time for any reason he or she wishes.

If they've failed to provide a service that has been paid for they should be liable for it.

Like anyone else, my physician has the right to ask me any question he wants. I in turn have the right to tell him to pound sand if if feel he is prying into my personal business.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The way I understand it is with children's doctors. Filled forms with son when he was little. Asked why they were asking these questions the reply was that homes with guns were more likely to have injuries.:evil:

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Why shouldn't the doctor have the right to terminate the relationship if they see fit? I may find it offensive to be asked such a question, but the inquiry itself on the part of a private individual doesn't restrict my gun rights in any manner; nor is it a question I am coerced to answer by law.

The fact that the NRA was involved in supporting this legislation is one of the reasons why they're losing principled support among a lot of gun owners.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why shouldn't the doctor have the right to terminate the relationship if they see fit? I may find it offensive to be asked such a question, but the inquiry itself on the part of a private individual doesn't restrict my gun rights in any manner; nor is it a question I am coerced to answer by law.

The fact that the NRA was involved in supporting this legislation is one of the reasons why they're losing principled support among a lot of gun owners.
I agree 100%. If she wants to turn away patients because she doesn't agree with their views, I say she should be able to do so. It's her business. It's a bad business move, but it should be hers to make.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Any Legislation that interferes with the Doctor-Patient relationship is wrong. If you don't like the questions, then don't answer or get another Doc. Government needs to stay out of our homes, bedrooms, exam rooms, etc. Once again we have politicians sticking their noses where they don't belong.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Any Legislation that interferes with the Doctor-Patient relationship is wrong. If you don't like the questions, then don't answer or get another Doc. Government needs to stay out of our homes, bedrooms, exam rooms, etc. Once again we have politicians sticking their noses where they don't belong.
I agree. Well stated.

·
Registered
220 Posts

As with all business relationships, both parties should have the right to terminate the relationship if they feel the need to do so.
Under normal circumstances I agree with you... but when you take the questions and right to terminate along with the intention of the GREAT and GLORIOUS Leader to make a single payor system and put the government in charge of your healthcare... YOUR choices may become severely limited in selecting another doctor.

Then what happens when, as a requirement placed upon the doctor in order to secure the ability to provide services to the people, a mandate is issued to collect and report this information (for statistical purposes ONLY of course). This law may not in the end stop that level of intrusion... but it at least makes a point that is should not be tolerated.

Keep in mind... what we are seeing is a slow, steady creep of intrusion into our lives. Just call it "the camel's nose...."

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
what ever happened to "id prefer not to answer" or "thats really not your business"? i was unaware that doctors asking this stuff was even an issue but i would figure you could easily dismiss the questions without needing legislation. more importantly, if your doctor is allowing their anti-gun sentiments to interfere with them doing their job of treating patients then i think its time to find a new doctor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts