Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a few shots through my new XD40 this afternoon. I shot some "Starefire" 180 grain JHP ammo hat my dealer gave me at purchase from a bench and sandbag at 25 yards. I shot a four shot group of 2 1/2". The shots hit about 2 1/2 inches high using a 6 o'clock hold. I shot a few more using my buddy's plinking ammo (copper coated bullets?) at 15 yards, standing using a 2 hand hold and that group was 3 inches with a flier. At 15 yards, the group was pretty much on target. I didn't shoot too much because it was around 20 degrees with a wind. Had a hard time seeing the sights through the tears and my hands got pretty cold.

My buddy, who has a 40cal Clock, fired my gun and thought it shot pretty good. I liked the XD better than the Glock, of course. His Glock was pretty accurate at 25 yards and I think it's because he has a longer barrel and sight radius.

I did a search on "ammo" and didn't come up with anything. Just general stuff. What are everyone's recommendations for defense loads and target loads. I figured on shooting Winchester, Federal or other good quality so I have good brass to reload.

Was I corredt in assuming his copper colored bullets were "coated" as opposed to jacketed? Are these OK to shoot, won't lead the barrel?
Also, where's the cheapset place to order online?

WyoBob

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. You're sure to love it.

The ammo thing has been gone around and around and around...

The general consensus is that pretty much any modern, quality jacketed hollowpoint will be satisfactory. I personally carry 180gr Federal Hydrashoks because that's what the local LEO carries (a legal CYA). I've heard good things about Speer Gold Dots, and what, Ranger T SXT was it?

Basically, a good quality JHP that shoots well out of your gun every time you pull the trigger is a good defense load.

As far as target loads goes, shoot what's cheap. I shoot WWB. Some have problems with it. But like I said, if it works and it's cheap, shoot it. :)

Anyway, enjoy your new gun!

·
Registered
443 Posts
As far as the cheapest ammo, I can say that in most case's the shipping cost will out do the price....I hate to say this, considering my wife spends the majority of her free time in this place....."wallyworld"....will have great deals on the winchester white box...it will come in 100 round containers...at least in my neck of the woods it will be the cheapest...If you have any gun shows in your area, try that also....sometimes you can get a good deal on a case.... :roll:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought myself an xd40 about three days ago. I took it out to the range yesterday. The gun shot alot nicer than my ruger p-series. I was ahooting at about 15 yards. Took them out like nothing. The guys and I went for 150 yards. Using a bowling pin as a target, we got it on every single shot. Nice gun, I like it.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
ringo said:
I just bought myself an xd40 about three days ago. I took it out to the range yesterday. The gun shot alot nicer than my ruger p-series. I was ahooting at about 15 yards. Took them out like nothing. The guys and I went for 150 yards. Using a bowling pin as a target, we got it on every single shot. Nice gun, I like it.
Dude! :shock:

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
The guys and I went for 150 yards. Using a bowling pin as a target, we got it on every single shot. Nice gun, I like it.
Hell Ya! I believe ya. Just like everyone believes me when I tell them I caught a whale with a 10 pound line. :wink:

·
Registered
17 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
The guys and I went for 150 yards. Using a bowling pin as a target, we got it on every single shot. Nice gun, I like it.
Hell Ya! I believe ya. Just like everyone believes me when I tell them I caught a whale with a 10 pound line. :wink:
LMAO!!! I almost fell out of my chair. But I tend to agree, that seems like an awfully big "fish story".

·
Registered
467 Posts
one-eyed-fatman said:
Caught whale on 10 pound line. Sounds like fishing to me. Oh, I know, trolling, right? :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am new to the whole Handgun seen but I have spent my fair share of days with both rimfire and high powered rifle stocks stuck to my shoulder.
Now thats going to take some practice to hit a bowling pin w/ EVERY shot.

I am going to need alot more practice.

Ringo,
Do you guys give lessons???

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
UP ST NY TRANSPLANT said:
I am new to the whole Handgun seen but I have spent my fair share of days with both rimfire and high powered rifle stocks stuck to my shoulder.
Now thats going to take some practice to hit a bowling pin w/ EVERY shot.

I am going to need alot more practice.

Ringo,
Do you guys give lessons???
I'm sure they do.... In story telling. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
XD40sc and XD40 bi-tone tactical w/Tru-glo sights

The tactical 5" shot with less snap with older single
recoil spring using Rem UMC 250 rnd bulk pack wad
cutter ammo. Those Truglo sights are great outside
and really aid my old eyes.

That sub handles well points and shoots similar to the
tactical BUT the sharp SNAP; dispite that new dual
recoil spring (even on this non "M" version), has my
trigger finger being pinched between the trigger and
trigger guard! Never happens on the tactical.
I had Trijicon SP01Y sights installed and they shoot just
Like the sub's originals. Very happy except for that
Snap!
Ruger Mark I
Glock G20
Mini-14 5.56
Had: TZ75, Bersa 380,.22, Colt Mustang, Astra A70,
Norinco 9mm, Taurus 357 3",6"

·
Registered
15 Posts
For target ammo it pretty much comes down to what I see first when I enter the store. I've been using Blazer FMJ 115gr lately. I've also gone through a few boxes of Winchester white box ammo I got a good deal on at another shop.

At home I keep a mag ready to go with Federal Premium Hydrashoks. A hollow point is a hollow point, IMO, especially if SHTF and I've got to put it to good use.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I get Federal FMJ for my XD40sc, Walmart around KCMO has them for $28/100 pack, down south in NW Ark they are only $26. All the Walmarts have Federal less than WWB.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts