Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question about my first shotgun. It's a Hawk model 982 which is a Chinese copy of a Remington 870. It has a slide lock release just in front of the trigger guard. The instructions are not super clear as to it's function. It appears to be used for dis-assembly and for loading a last round after chambering a round from a full magazine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any pics?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, no pics. Pulled up the Remington 870 manual. On the 870 this button/lever is called the "action bar lock". You supposed push on it when opening the action. The part I'm confused about is the action opens whether you push on it or not. It's not used during firing. Does it lock the action bars during loading for some reason unknown to me? This is my first pump action shotgun and just trying to understand how and why it works.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I just tried to open the action without depressing the "action bar lock and it would not open, conversely depressing it allowed the action to open. Yesterday when I attempted to open the action without depressing it , it opened. It must not have been all the way closed. I'm guessing when it's loaded you don't have to use it. Haven't even bought any shells yet. Will go over this with the Range Officer at the range before firing it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After working the action and dry firing I think I've got it figured out. It prevents the forearm from inadvertently moving when the gun is loaded and the trigger is cocked. Making more sense now. Duh!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
After working the action and dry firing I think I've got it figured out. It prevents the forearm from inadvertently moving when the gun is loaded and the trigger is cocked. Making more sense now. Duh!
I believe that is the purpose. The slide should move freely without the lever once the trigger has been pulled.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Yup. It locks the action so it doesn't fire out of battery.

Pull the trigger and the action will unlock.

Go out and shoot it and enjoy it. They're suppose to be a pretty well built copy.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I've never heard of Hawk. Is it a pretty nice gun? Where do they sell them? I'm in the market for a bargain priced scattergun....the prices for used 870s and Mossberg 500/590s on Armslist is, well...a little inflated.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I think they're Norinco built. Can't remember for sure. The Stevens pump is a nice one too. Copy of the Winchester 1200 action. Really fast to cycle pump gun.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i'm a little late here but i just picked up a interstate arms company IAC HAWK 981r which is a remington 870 clone with a bead sight and receiver mounted top picatiny rail. the 982 has ghost ring sights. My reading indicates a relatively nice shotgun at a bargain entry level price. plus i just picked mine up on 09/16/2014 from cdnnsports.com for $155 shipped to my ffl. if i don't like it i put it up for sale and move on.

·
Registered
248 Posts
due to my research they do take most of everything although i have saw a couple posts and videos that say some forends do not fit but everyone i've read about says the stocks interchange properly.

side saddles and magazine tube extensions also work although the clones come with a longer magazine tube than a 870 so the barrels do not match up . Some say a spacer sleeve makes an 870 barrel fit however i would probably not test this myself.

Most of my research indicates that the finish is thin and of poorer quality than the remmington 870 but that the shotguns contain parts comparable to the more expensive 870 police. The notable difference being a plastic magazine follower and weak spring.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i picked up my hawk from my local ffl yesterday. The finish is fine and appears to be parkerized rather than blued. it comes liberally coated with a thick oil on the inside of the receiver and magazine tube. That oil picked up some bits of metal from the factory. The follower is plastic and so is the spring retainer at the front of the magazine but the spring pressure seems good as compared to my mossberg 500s.

I put around 50 rounds downrange last night from my bucket of mismatched shells. birdshot, buckshot, slugs, and some long range high brass no5 shot. initially the first round did not want to feed from the magazine into the chamber. it would not release from the magazine tube. I attribute this to my error. once i started pumping the pump normally instead of going easy because it was new then i had no other trouble.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
i picked up my hawk from my local ffl yesterday. The finish is fine and appears to be parkerized rather than blued. it comes liberally coated with a thick oil on the inside of the receiver and magazine tube. That oil picked up some bits of metal from the factory. The follower is plastic and so is the spring retainer at the front of the magazine but the spring pressure seems good as compared to my mossberg 500s.

I put around 50 rounds downrange last night from my bucket of mismatched shells. birdshot, buckshot, slugs, and some long range high brass no5 shot. initially the first round did not want to feed from the magazine into the chamber. it would not release from the magazine tube. I attribute this to my error. once i started pumping the pump normally instead of going easy because it was new then i had no other trouble.
Good to hear.... As with any pump, the more you shoot it the smoother the pump will become. There are some things you can do, like polish the feed elevator, forend action arms and the chamber. I also like to polish the inside of the MAgazine tube and follower(if metal)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Last month (seems like the least expensive time of year to buy!), I picked up an 18.5" H&R Pardner Pump, which is another 870 (Norinco) clone. I've read it'll will take most 870 parts, less the barrels. And I added some of Palmetto's $6.99 Estate 00 buck!

·
Registered
248 Posts
i am going to revisit my comments on this shotgun now after a few months and a few more rounds and getting the opportunity to see a brand new 870 express. The chamber on the hawk 981r that i purchased from cdnn sports was far smoother and better feeling than the rough inner texture of a friends 870 express.

Here we come to a point both the recoil spring and the recoil spring on a guy i know who bought at the same time i did have gone bad under being loaded with shells as a home defense gun. both would push the last round in the magazine half way out jamming the gun on last round. we both repaced with wolf tube springs and now both are working great.

i've shot birdshot slugs and buckshot in 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch loads through mine and its cycled and shot everything.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My first S/G was a Hawk 982 (that has the ghost ring sights, the 981 has bead sight). I do enjoy shooting close range slugs and buckshot with it, but with the 18.5" bbl it's not much good for trap shooting or skeet. Make sure you pattern your Hawk, as mine tended to pattern a bit low. I also bought a limbsaver pad for it, which helps considerably. The Hawk is one of my HD guns, but have to admit since I wanted to shoot trap and skeet I broke down and bought a Citori Crossover O/U. What a difference!
Citori Crossover Target O/U, Moss 91, Hawk 982 - all 12G

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
The question I have is, can I use a hawk 18.5 inch barrel on a 870? If so ima buy a hawk instead of a short barrel and have 2 shotty instead of 1 gun and 2 barrels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts