Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my Hellcat yesterday and was able to get to the range today. I was pleasantly surprised. All of the videos I watched had me overly concerned about the snappiness of the little gun. Well it is snappier than larger pistols but it was no big deal. I put about 40 rounds through it. I took 100 rounds but wanted to compare the recoil with my XDe which I sometimes carry. I also took my CZ P07.

I had no issues at all with the Hellcat. I wasn't shooting very well with it, but I'm not a great shot even with larger guns that I am already familiar with. But I got better with the Hellcat as I went along. I got the model with the safety and it works well for me, as compared with the Shield Plus. The safety is large enough to move easily.

I do wish that the slide serrations were a little deeper. They taper down in depth from the top of the slide to the bottom. Most of my gripping is done towards the bottom so sometimes I was slipping off the slide.

I probably ran 15 to 20 rounds one handed since the real world may not present perfect scenarios for me. One handed was fun. Of course the gun moved more but I expected that.

I've got an IWB holster ordered already from CYA Supplies. I think the Hellcat will be a keeper, even though I've only had it out once. My plan is to use it in warmer weather when I'm wearing less, or use it anytime the clothing situation calls for something smaller than the XDe. I still do like my XDe hammer fired DA/SA with de-cocker and safety. I shoot better with it because it's a little larger and heavier. And I'm used to it.

I had been interested in the Ruger Max-9 for a while but decided that the quality may be a little 'iffy'. If you shake the empty gun in your hand it rattles quite a bit. Some folks on the videos question the quality of the slide coating. I can't really tell one from another, so maybe it's ok, maybe it's a cheaper finish. Except for the Taurus GX4 (which I wasn't really considering) the Ruger was the least expensive. Maybe there is a reason for that. But the grip and sights on the Ruger suited me. The grip and sights on the Hellcat are good for me. I would have preferred fiber optics though.

The Sig 365 seems to be very well liked but that grip just feels too small for me. I just couldn't deal with it. The Shield Plus felt ok, and the sights were just ok for me. The safety was small and didn't move easily. Maybe it would have loosened up, but the Hellcat was already working well. So the combination of the grip, the sights and the safety were the deciding factors in picking the Hellcat over the others.

I almost forgot. The gun store did have a Kimber R7 Mako on hand which I really liked. But it had a red dot on it which pushed the price beyond what I wanted to pay and there is no safety. But a Mako could possibly be in my future.

So overall I'm quite happy so far with my Hellcat. I have two other Springfield pistols (XDm and XDe) and am impressed with their build quality and performance. That also helped push me towards the Hellcat from the others.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Congrats on your new Hellcat. They are a great pistol. Springfield hit a home run with it. I really like mine. I have the osp model without a safety. Have yet to put a red dot on it, probably won’t, the sights on the hellcat are great. I carry mine in the summer months iwb mostly. Quite comfortable in a muddy River tactical leather iwb holster. Will be picking up another hellcat soon. I think there are other good subcompact pistols but I liked the hellcat the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
288 Posts
I picked up my Hellcat yesterday and was able to get to the range today. I was pleasantly surprised. All of the videos I watched had me overly concerned about the snappiness of the little gun. Well it is snappier than larger pistols but it was no big deal. I put about 40 rounds through it. I took 100 rounds but wanted to compare the recoil with my XDe which I sometimes carry. I also took my CZ P07.

I had no issues at all with the Hellcat. I wasn't shooting very well with it, but I'm not a great shot even with larger guns that I am already familiar with. But I got better with the Hellcat as I went along. I got the model with the safety and it works well for me, as compared with the Shield Plus. The safety is large enough to move easily.

I do wish that the slide serrations were a little deeper. They taper down in depth from the top of the slide to the bottom. Most of my gripping is done towards the bottom so sometimes I was slipping off the slide.

I probably ran 15 to 20 rounds one handed since the real world may not present perfect scenarios for me. One handed was fun. Of course the gun moved more but I expected that.

I've got an IWB holster ordered already from CYA Supplies. I think the Hellcat will be a keeper, even though I've only had it out once. My plan is to use it in warmer weather when I'm wearing less, or use it anytime the clothing situation calls for something smaller than the XDe. I still do like my XDe hammer fired DA/SA with de-cocker and safety. I shoot better with it because it's a little larger and heavier. And I'm used to it.

I had been interested in the Ruger Max-9 for a while but decided that the quality may be a little 'iffy'. If you shake the empty gun in your hand it rattles quite a bit. Some folks on the videos question the quality of the slide coating. I can't really tell one from another, so maybe it's ok, maybe it's a cheaper finish. Except for the Taurus GX4 (which I wasn't really considering) the Ruger was the least expensive. Maybe there is a reason for that. But the grip and sights on the Ruger suited me. The grip and sights on the Hellcat are good for me. I would have preferred fiber optics though.

The Sig 365 seems to be very well liked but that grip just feels too small for me. I just couldn't deal with it. The Shield Plus felt ok, and the sights were just ok for me. The safety was small and didn't move easily. Maybe it would have loosened up, but the Hellcat was already working well. So the combination of the grip, the sights and the safety were the deciding factors in picking the Hellcat over the others.

I almost forgot. The gun store did have a Kimber R7 Mako on hand which I really liked. But it had a red dot on it which pushed the price beyond what I wanted to pay and there is no safety. But a Mako could possibly be in my future.

So overall I'm quite happy so far with my Hellcat. I have two other Springfield pistols (XDm and XDe) and am impressed with their build quality and performance. That also helped push me towards the Hellcat from the others.
Make sure you register your Hell Cat on Springfield Armory Web site you get a discount on gear like extra Mags.I purchased two extra 15 Round Mags for $25 each.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear.
The above link it was just an example of what I was expecting from Springfield. An easy website that I can pick and choose parts, with the associated diagram.
Not calling over the phone and ordering something "in dark", not really knowing what I ordered.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear.
The above link it was just an example of what I was expecting from Springfield. An easy website that I can pick and choose parts, with the associated diagram.
Not calling over the phone and ordering something "in dark", not really knowing what I ordered.
Not sure why you'd "expect" that from Springfield, as it's very well known they have limited aftermarket support and typically doesn't sell parts, but requires you to send the firearm back to them to get parts replaced / it repaired.

The springs cost a buck or two a piece. Not really a big deal or ordering it in the "dark", IMO. You tell them what you want, they send it out. I received exactly what I ordered.

What did we ever do before the internet?

I can also say I've own multiple Springfields for 10+ years and the only ones that have been back to Springfield are the recalled XDS.

·
Registered
606 Posts
So... let's go back to mailed catalogs? That's your argument?
OK, fine, you win.
Never said that.

If you want great aftermarket and parts support, buy a Glock. Springfield has never been known for that. But it's funny, for all the Glock fanboys that trash them, they've never seen a failure .

I was able to get all the spares I was looking for, by calling. No wrong parts were sent.

Good luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Never said that.

If you want great aftermarket and parts support, buy a Glock. Springfield has never been known for that. But it's funny, for all the Glock fanboys that trash them, they've never seen a failure .

I was able to get all the spares I was looking for, by calling. No wrong parts were sent.

Good luck.
I want two Glocks one to take a dump on and another to cover it up with!:poop: Springfield Armory customer service is second to none.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If I wanted a Glock, I would had bought one instead of the Hellcat. Anyway, thank you for you permission.
You're a trip. Not sure what the issue is. What permission? You wanted parts. I offered a solution. Not to difficult to pickup a phone.

It is WELL KNOWN about Springfield's unwillingness to sell parts. I found by being cordial, polite and honest, you can get parts.

Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts