Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally made it to the range today. New XD-9 sevice with M3 to test. Fired 100 rds of WWB 115gr FMJ, 50 rds of WWB 115gr JHP, and lastly 40 rds of 100gr PowRball. Not one single hiccup. No malfunctions of any kind. Even had my fiance (rookie shooter) fire half of the ammo. I figured she would maybe limp wrist into a jam...NO CHANCE!!! The XD performed perfectly. At 15yds we kept all hits in an area the size of a softball. If you've never tried the PowRball...WOW!!!!!!!! Suddenly I thought I was shooting a 10mm!!! :shock: At 1500fps this stuff is very, very hot. Quite snappy on the recoil, but not uncontrollable. I truthfully thought it was a bit more accurate than the Win. ammo too. I would of loved to shoot more...the XD was a true joy, except my range doesn't understand the AC concept and the sweat was fogging my glasses! :cry:
On top of that GI Joe commando wannabe gun store moron would not even allow double taps...WTF? Single, slow fire he said was all that was allowed. Kind of hard to function test a new weapon like that. Funny how a glock on the hip can make a 4'8" moron think he owns the earth...at least that part the range was built on. After telling me to stop, he even had the nerve to come up to me and say "what did you say to me"? All I could do not to slap the glock off his scrawny butt!!! Never had this problem before. Funny how having a gorgeous woman with you makes the idiots try to flex their muscles. Next time I'll drive the extra 20 minutes to the better range!!! Hope he sells plenty of his $575 XD's & $600 glocks....IDIOT!!! :x

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Packin'Plastic said:
Well I finally made it to the range today. my range doesn't understand the AC concept and the sweat was fogging my glasses!
It's not possible to air condition an indoor range because of the ventilation requirments. Same with a restaurant kitchen (I owned a restaurant/bar and believe me, the kitchen is worse than a shooting range). No matter how much cold air you pump in it all gets sucked out by the overhead exhaust fans. WAY faster than any A/C unit can keep up with.

Congrats on your new XD!!

Now you got me curious about the "Powerball" ammo. Guess I'll have to go sweat for a while at my range soon and give it a try!

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Find another range, and stay away from Glock toting morons. . Yeah, I like to test my new guns and ammo in a similiar manner. Do some slow shooting to test accuracy down to 25 yards and then run the gun as fast one can for function testing, say 15 round in 8 seconds, LOL. Luckily my range let me get away with that, the joys of life membership. Also most the guys there know I am well trained, safety conscious and a pretty good shot. Yeah, the XD is a great gun.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Delija said:
Packin'Plastic said:
Well I finally made it to the range today. my range doesn't understand the AC concept and the sweat was fogging my glasses!
It's not possible to air condition an indoor range because of the ventilation requirments. Same with a restaurant kitchen (I owned a restaurant/bar and believe me, the kitchen is worse than a shooting range). No matter how much cold air you pump in it all gets sucked out by the overhead exhaust fans. WAY faster than any A/C unit can keep up with.
Not quite true Delija. I know my indoor range here is A/C equiped and also has ventilation. One of the perks of having rich MicroSoft millionaires shoot there I guess.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yep, gotta back up manygunner on the AC statement. I go to two indoor ranges here in the Middle Tennessee area and both are air conditioned and have superb ventilation to carry away the smoke from the guns. It's all in the design. And no, neither one of these ranges is the one on Murfreesboro Road in Nashville. Heaven forbid I should have to go in there!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Delija said:
It's not possible to air condition an indoor range because of the ventilation requirments.

we have an indoor range here in houston that circulates all of the air every 10 minutes and keeps at at 70 degrees. there are 3 bays, all with 10 shooting lanes that go out to about 30yrds.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Packin'Plastic said:
Even had my fiance (rookie shooter) fire half of the ammo. I figured she would maybe limp wrist into a jam...NO CHANCE!!! The XD performed perfectly. At 15yds we kept all hits in an area the size of a softball.
Not wanting to flame anyone but a rookie shooter keeping ALL hits in a softball size group at 45 ft.!!! I find that VERY hard to swallow, I know the gun can do it but I've never seen a rookie shooter get anywhere near that good, I've let at least 10 good shooters fire my XD9 service and nobody can get all shots that close together at 15 yds, they might get a few in that size circle but mostly keep it in a basketball size group with a few flyers way out in left field. Maybe we are just bad shots.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
manygunner said:
Delija said:
Not quite true Delija. I know my indoor range here is A/C equiped and also has ventilation. One of the perks of having rich MicroSoft millionaires shoot there I guess.
Well, I guess anything is possible. Maybe I'm just too used to Florida where at this time of the year the outside temps are in the mid 90s 24/7 and the humidity is so high you need to use your windshield wipers when the skies are clear.

Cuda said:
Not wanting to flame anyone but a rookie shooter keeping ALL hits in a softball size group at 45 ft.!!! I find that VERY hard to swallow, .
Yeah, I agree that's pretty darn impressive for a rookie shooter. I had to read it twice when I first saw it. Maybe they were shooting from a rest?

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep...shocked me too. She did the same thing with my Sig 220ST a few weeks ago. Actually shot tighter groups than me, with my own pistol, and it was the very FIRST time she'd ever fired any gun!
We were shooting freehand, unsupported. I explained stance, aiming, importance of a firm wrist...presto...a champion!
Truthfully we were shooting at the black human torso (don't know the proper name) targets. They have a little 3in x 3in target in the upper left hand corner. After the X rings was punched out and a big hole in the head area...she shocked me by firing at the tiny (I guess its for scoring) target. And hit it 3 times with 2 more holes on the edge. Good grief...now we are talking golf ball size groups...with a stock XD. :shock:
Must be something to do with God given hand/eye coordination!
Now she insist I give her the combo to my safe...YIKES!!!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Delija said:
manygunner said:
Delija said:
Well, I guess anything is possible. Maybe I'm just too used to Florida where at this time of the year the outside temps are in the mid 90s 24/7 and the humidity is so high you need to use your windshield wipers when the skies are clear.

Cuda said:
Not wanting to flame anyone but a rookie shooter keeping ALL hits in a softball size group at 45 ft.!!! I find that VERY hard to swallow, .
Yeah, I agree that's pretty darn impressive for a rookie shooter. I had to read it twice when I first saw it. Maybe they were shooting from a rest?

Peace,
D.
I think that group should have been tighter, off hand. Even for a rookie. Well, I am sure he will get better with practice.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I just fired 150 rounds through my XD at my indoor range in Virginia. I was dripping in sweat the whole time. It was like a friggin sauna in the place. Afterwards, I half jokingly mentioned this to the store manager (its a gun store with a member range in the back) and he said, if they had a/c, think what the membership fee would be. Yeah right. :x Like they're not charging enough already for a range with poor lighting and mediocre ventilation. Shoot lead bullets in the place and you could choke a horse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Packin'Plastic said:
Yep...shocked me too. She did the same thing with my Sig 220ST a few weeks ago. Actually shot tighter groups than me, with my own pistol, and it was the very FIRST time she'd ever fired any gun!
We were shooting freehand, unsupported. I explained stance, aiming, importance of a firm wrist...presto...a champion!
Truthfully we were shooting at the black human torso (don't know the proper name) targets. They have a little 3in x 3in target in the upper left hand corner. After the X rings was punched out and a big hole in the head area...she shocked me by firing at the tiny (I guess its for scoring) target. And hit it 3 times with 2 more holes on the edge. Good grief...now we are talking golf ball size groups...with a stock XD. :shock:
Must be something to do with God given hand/eye coordination!
Now she insist I give her the combo to my safe...YIKES!!!
I can back ya up on this one - I took a girl newbie shooter out to the range with me a few months back, and she impressed the hell out of me. She knew absolutely nothing about guns, and was even freaking out from everybody else firing there - but after I taught her the basics and a few practice rounds, she was chewing through the bullseye at 7y.

It just ain't fair.

·
Registered
212 Posts
As a Basic Pistol instructor it is quite common for new students who have never touched a gun before to shoot better than people who learned to shoot on their own. It is especially common for new women shooters to shoot tighter groups than some of the men. I think this may be because they are not trying to unlearn bad habits.

In Montana a basic pistol course is acceptable for application for a CCW permit and as a shall issue state the sheriff has 60 days to issue a permit provided you are not legally restricted. Fully 50% of our students have gone through the process even if they don't carry because the permit negates the NICS requirement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Tom Swift,

What are the "other" two indoor ranges in Mid Tenn that you mentioned? - You need to be armed just to make it to the front door of the M-boro Rd range. I hate going there!! 8)
Stove

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Hey Stovepipe, sorry it took so long to post the answer. On Target in Murfreesboro on North Thompson. It's about 2 1/2 years old, beautiful facility. The other one WAS at Uselton's Sporting Goods in Goodlettsville but Rick Uselton just closed that one and has opened a smaller store without the range. However, please stand by as there are plans for a new, huge range in Nashville. The building shell has been acquired, the permits have been pulled. Business plan is being written for investors to study. I'll let you know more as this progresses.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Delija said:
We have a couple indoor ranges in the Tampa area. I was shooting at one yesterday and it was nice and cool on the line (mid 70s.) I know the owner spent a lot of time and money designing an uber air system for this range.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts