Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered it Monday from Russ Haydon's Shooters Supply, it arrived today via USPS Priority Mail.

The Kwick Case Trimmer works sort of like a pencil sharpener. Rather than determining depth based on total case length, the trimmer indexes off the shoulder of the case.

It only takes a second or two to trim a case. I'm actually shocked at how well it works.

I'm pretty tired of the Lee Zip Trim and cutter--the cases often don't stay centered on the arbor, and the depth changes on the case length gauge.

But this Kwick Trim seems to be the cat's pajamas.

There are a couple of caveats. One is that there are rub marks on the shoulder of a case where it bottoms in the trimmer, and there are rub marks on the body of the case as well. These aren't score marks on the case--they rub off.

Partway through, I put on a glove. That helped with hot spots on my hand where I held the case as I inserted it into the trimmer.

I checked the lengths of the cases by caliper, and they're fine. There were a few that were long, but it turns out I didn't quite get the cases trimmed all the way. The cutter is adjustable so if different headstamps produce different lengths, the cutter can be moved (though I tried some Lake City brass in addition to the RP brass I tested it on, and they worked fine too.)

Right now, I give this approach a thumbs-up. I can do 15 or more in a minute, which is pretty fast pace compared to almost anything else.

I've got about 600 more cases to trim, and this makes the task more bearable by far.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've had the chance to do some more trimming with the Kwick Case Trimmer, and I'm still happy with it.

I still have about 410 Lake City cases to size and trim, and I'm glad I don't need to use the zip-trim to do them.

One thing I figured out is that the scuff marks on the shoulder and on the wall of the case--these from where the trimmer rubs when you're trimming a case--come off quite well if I put them in the vibratory for an hour. For some, there still are barely-visible marks on the walls of the cases, but they don't compromise the case integrity. No different than other stray scratches and marks, and after they were polished again, virtually un-noticeable.

I'm still trying to figure out a better way of chamfering and deburring the case mouths, other than by hand, but that's a minor nuisance. Maybe at some point I'll get the RCBS unit.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I chamfer my cases by running my chamfer tools either in my drill press at home or my lathe at work. Makes quick work of them!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Speaking of chamfering, I just ordered the Possum Hollow power drill adapter that works with the case trimmer as well as the RCBS or Wilson chamfering/deburring tool. MidwayUSA had special pricing for less than $10. I've seen them used before and decided I can't live without it now.

I may try the case trimmer based on your review since I'll already have the power adapter.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speaking of chamfering, I just ordered the Possum Hollow power drill adapter that works with the case trimmer as well as the RCBS or Wilson chamfering/deburring tool. MidwayUSA had special pricing for less than $10. I've seen them used before and decided I can't live without it now.

I may try the case trimmer based on your review since I'll already have the power adapter.
I'm fairly impressed with it, given the price. I loaded 100 rounds of .223 yesterday with cases trimmed with the KCT, and they all seem to be just fine.

It's not as elegant as some of the other solutions such as the trimmers from Giraud or Dillon, but the price is darned good. I don't expect to be trimming so much brass that I'd have to upgrade to a several-hundred-dollar trimmer to get the time down.

I did have to use a leather glove to hold the cases when I did this, otherwise I'd develop hot spots on my hand from holding it. I also found that it seemed to work better/faster when I kept the drill running rather than start/stop each time.

At some point, I'll probably see if I can rig some sort of cradle or strap system to hold the drill down so I can just push the cases into the trimmer without having to hold the drill. If I can figure that out, I'll post a pic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts