• springfield xd sub compact 9mm

• Springfield xd sub compact .40

• or just go all out and do the 45

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone this is my first post on here and looking to purchase my first handgun.I have shot a .380 before and a 22mag revolver. and i do own and shoot lots of rifles and shotguns.

however i am looking to get a ccw and buy a nice handgun to carry with me as my self defense concealed firearm. I have read up on the diff in caliber 9mm .40 .45 i figure i either want the 9mm or the .40 since this is my first handgun and dont want something with a lot of recoil to make follow up shots hard to be accurate. I will be doing lots of practice shooting with it to get good anyway and i figure the 9mm will do what i need since i doubt i will ever have to use the weapon on someone but will carry one just incase i ever need to use it i will have it.

The 3 guns i am looking at going with are the
baby glock 26 model, or the 27 .40 model
smith&wesson M&P compact 9mm or .40
springfield xd sub compact 9mm or .40

what would you suggest and why the only thing i dont like about the xd is the grip saftey is that a big factor and i think the 9mm will suit me best less recoil and more rounds

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My vote goes to the xd9 subcompact. The XD is a heck of a pistol, the 9mm is nicer to shoot than the .40 (per many reports), and the 45 is big... really big. Dozens of people will say they carry their .45 without any problems all day every day, and that it's all about the right belt and holster. I have a good belt and a decent holster and have carried my .45 for 2 years, and I currently carry it daily. However, there are still many times I wish I had something smaller.

The .45 is easy to conceal early on, but I assure you that as time goes on you'll wish it was smaller and you run the risk of just not wearing it sometimes. The SC packs plenty of punch and it'll make carrying much more comfortable.

9mm is also cheap and will allow you to shoot more than the other two. The grip safety is no big deal. You grip the pistol half-way normal and it's a non-issue.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks for your input i figured the 9mm will be easier to shoot and less recoil but i read that the 9mm does the least damage to a body out of the other calibers. What kind of grain and ammo should i use for carrying it with me. i read on here these is much bigger grain avaible than what walmart sells and online places like cabelas and such.

Also where is the best place to buy from for a gun to get the best price i am trying to stay 500 or under for budget. and what do you think about the other selections i am looking at

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
+1 on the 9mm over the .40. I carry a Compact .45, and I shoot it better than a 40 too. I don't mind carrying a .45 everyday, but I did buy a .380 for those certain occasions where a pocket pistol is needed. I looked at the sub-compacts, but for holster carry the smaller size wasn't better than the feeling of 11 230gr.'s on my side. It really comes down to personal preference, and what will suit your needs best. I would go handle a bunch, and see seems best for you. Happy gun hunting.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
You will hardly feel the grip safety. It has NEVER interfered with me firing my weapon.

I just bought the XD9sc. Fantastic gun. Once you get used to the short sight picture you will shoot it just as good as any of the longer XD models.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks for your guys suggestions.I want a gun that is small and easy to conceal and a good all around gun

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
i got the .45 because of peer pressure. there is no way i could go shooting w/ my brother or best friend with out taking a load of s#!& every time. i could not be happier with the gun. i'm 5'8 a buck sixty and have no trouble hiding my .45 service, even in a t-shirt. i use the supertuck, and its all you have or will read about. shoot em all, pick the one you like best. good luck. and if you get a pea shooter and not a forty five, you can't go to the range with me!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I always liked the look of the 1911's, had a friend who at the time was a reserve cop, he carried a sig 220 i shot it fell in love with it couldn't afford a sig at the time, bought a ruger, quickly traded that off for springfield micro, then bought a doublestack kimber. If i knew kimber would stop making them i'd a bought one more to have twins. my kimber is very light due to the polymer frame, and with it being very compact in size it is very easy to conceal comfortabley. my next choice and probably my next purchase will be an xdsc probably in 40, i already have reloading equipment for the 40, none for 9mm.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i got the .45 because of peer pressure. there is no way i could go shooting w/ my brother or best friend with out taking a load of s#!& every time. i could not be happier with the gun. i'm 5'8 a buck sixty and have no trouble hiding my .45 service, even in a t-shirt. i use the supertuck, and its all you have or will read about. shoot em all, pick the one you like best. good luck. and if you get a pea shooter and not a forty five, you can't go to the range with me!
well i dont think a 9mm is a pea shooter and its much cheaper to shoot if i am rembering the ammo prices and i will shoot this gun alot so a 9 is cheaper to shoot, also which has more recoil a 9 or 40 or 45 i want something thats easier to be accurate with quick follow up shots like a 3 or 4 shot burst within 5 seconds or so incase you are ever in a fire fight

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I have a XD9SC. I purchased it specifically for CCW two years ago. It turned out to be a better gun than I thought it would be, because it's not only easy and comfortable to conceal, but easy to shoot accurately, and has quick target reacquisition, too (due to the slight recoil).

I carried a .45 in Vietnam, and did use it several times in combat situations. The .45 is an excellent choice, if you go that way, but .45's run a few hundred dollars more than 9mm's (on average), and ammo is a tad pricey. I chose 9mm primarily due to availability and price of ammo. I want to be able to afford to shoot it a lot. However, excellent 9mm designer hollow point ammunition, with adequate stopping power is available as well. Thus, I have a pistol that I can practice with, and keep my shooting skills up, without sacrificing a whole lot in stopping power.

I usually carry my XD9SC in a tuckable IWB holster. With a 16 round magazine and grip extension. I can wear it all day without discomfort, or anyone noticing I'm packing. That gives me a nice, accurate little hand gun, with 17 total rounds, that will be a good self defense weapon in just about any situation that I might blunder into.

I also have a Taurus .38 Special revolver, that I recently purchased for CCW in situations where I want to have a decent smaller gun, but not quite as large as my XD. It actually has more kick than the XD, but it is so much smaller, lighter, and thinner, that it doesn't print at all.

Everybody has their preferences .... those be mine.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok yea the 45 i was looking at the compact version and isnt much bigger at all but i am worried about the recoil making it harder to shoot quickly and accurate and also the cost of the ammo and gun is more than a 9mm, how does the 9 compare to a short 3 or 4 inch barrel on a .380 or a 22 mag i have shot both of those before.as in the recoil

plus with 17 rounds in a 9 i should be able to take down anyone or anything just as good with a 45 with only 13 rounds

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
I have .32, and .22lr pistols that I shoot a lot. The .22lr is a mini revolver, and the .32 is a Tomcat with 2.5 inch barrel. Both have more recoil that the XD. My .38 special (2 inch barrel) has quite a bit more.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I voted xd9sc ,you mention you are a new shooter and have not owned or shot much......i think the 9 will give you the confidence you need much quicker than the bigger calibers with more recoil.....i just ordered a a xd sc in 40 caliber but i am used to shooting bigger calibers.........

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
Missing is:

• Springfield XD 9 Service (4")
You may want to hold the subcompact and fire it before going with it. It is the grip that is most important, IMO. It may work for you, but the full length grip of the "normal" XD does it for me.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Dude!

You have posted this at least twice. And it's a poll which has a specific area of the forum.

So far your manners really suck.

I hope one of the Mods will see this and either combine the two (or more posts since I've only been in two rooms so far) and them move it to the correct forum.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I can't vote on this. You have listed probably the three best guns for what you are looking for. Just feel them all and pick the one that fits you the best. I would also stick with 9mm if this is your first handgun.

If I had to put them in order, I would say Glock 26, M&P9c, XD9SC.

I'm not a hater, I think for a new guy those first two are probably a better buy. The XD requires a trigger job and a new guy just isn't going to pay for it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I picked the .45 because of my personal preference for the round over the others. Its got a fairly mild recoil impulse, and no ones gonna complain about its effectiveness as a carry round :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts