Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got over 3000 rounds (lost count but it's probably around 3,500rds) through my XD9sc without issue...until today. I put another 100 rounds through it today, 124gr WWB and about half-way through, I put 8 or so rounds in a magazine and on the 3rd or so round, I pulled the trigger and it just went click. I ejected the round and kept firing without issue. I picked up the round and it looked like the striker barely dented the shell. The other casings all were solid dents...so I put the round back in and it fired without issue. So gun/striker or a hard primer?? That one round was the only issue today.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Is the gun stock?
Reloads?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock gun, Winchester White Box.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Might be a bad round, slightly out of spec didn't quite go into battery, or a dirty striker channel.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
How often do you take the slide apart, remove the striker and clean it and the channel. Not just hose it off with spray and call it good, but take it all apart?

Oil mixed with residue is the leading cause of light strikes. Many will go thousands of rounds with no issue then discover the problem - so don't feel too bad if that's the cause. Either use a dry lube like 100% silicone spray (or equivalent) or just run the striker channel bone dry. For the striker, no lube at all is better than too much oil.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not lubed the striker channel as of yet. I clean the gun after each shooting but it's your basic field strip.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Bad round. I have seen a few of these lately at the range where the primer is not seated all the way and the first strike is a light dent and it finishes the seat and the second strike fires it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
How often do you take the slide apart, remove the striker and clean it and the channel. Not just hose it off with spray and call it good, but take it all apart?

Oil mixed with residue is the leading cause of light strikes. Many will go thousands of rounds with no issue then discover the problem - so don't feel too bad if that's the cause. Either use a dry lube like 100% silicone spray (or equivalent) or just run the striker channel bone dry. For the striker, no lube at all is better than too much oil.
+1 to this.

it could very well have been a bad round, no need to freak out after 1 misfire but if more light strikes come up, then i would venture to say your striker channel is a little dirty. it has a tendency to happen on these guns so its a good practice to clean the striker channel once in a while.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bad round. I have seen a few of these lately at the range where the primer is not seated all the way and the first strike is a light dent and it finishes the seat and the second strike fires it.
I have no doubt this was it...light dent and the second strike fired it. My little XDsc is a bulldog, it eats everything :D

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another 100 rounds of Federal 115gr today, no issues. I have no doubt it was just a bad round. The majority (at least 90%) of my 3,500 or so rounds are Federal and WWB, cheap rounds and so running into a bad one was bound to happen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts