Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all hello to every one... I am new to the site and new to Pistol ownership. (I just bought a XD-40SC with Trijicon Night sights). I am a prior Marine and have handled many rifles and pistols however this is my first Pistol that has belonged to me. I do have a solid experience handling pistols and rifles but my knowledge is limited to physical handling, shooting and safety so I have many questions. Also even tho I belong to many forums sites (Best way to get reliable info/opinions if you can decipher between the salesman) this is my first post and I know many sites have rules about how to post and where to post so if I have screwed up please let me know. As well as direct me as to how I can not repeat any mistakes I may make. Any how.
My most important question is. Which type of ammo should I buy for My newly aqquired pistol? I have been doing a lot of reading and have seen a lot of people like the HST and the Gold Dots but what grains should I go with. I was thinking about getting a box each of the 155 165 and the 180 of each of the 2 previously mentioned brands and feeling them out. Keep in mind it is a Subcompact if it makes a difference. :confused: But if you guys tell me to try some different weights I will take that into consideration. Also I do believe in practicing with what your going to keep in the gun so thats why I am not concerned with any FMJ for now. Till I am running out of Chedda that is. THanks in advance.:cool:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service. There is a lot of good info to be had on this site. Read and post. Most of the people on this site are cool and very willing to help. Welcome from Minnesota.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service.

The 40sc is my favorite pistol.

I just shot a box of WWB 165 and several mags of Federal EFMJ 165 and Golden Sabre 180 last Saturday. Honestly, from 10 yards the difference was not noticeable to me. Though I had more bulls with the Federal (which I keep in it) all the groups were decent.

To date, I've found no ammo gives any of my XD's trouble.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Welcome from FL. the 40 sc was my first xd also, you're goona love it.

·
Premium Member
127,171 Posts
Welcome from Ohio.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Welcome from Indiana!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pistol.

As for ammo, I shoot 180gr FMJ WWB for target practice, and 180gr HP Federal as carry ammo. Of course I practice with carry ammo as well, but since it is more expensive, I don't use as much. Just a mag every month or so to make sure it feeds well and I can still hit the bull.

Whatever you go with, I suggest staying with one bullet weight with both carry ammo and practice ammo. And practice using both. And practice on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum from CT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments and info. I ended up buying a box (50 rounds) each of 155,165, and 180 of both the HST and the Gold Dots. Also a box of 165 speer lawmen. Hopefully I will get a chance this weekend to make it to the range to try them out.

·
Registered
937 Posts
welcome aboard, check out federals website for ballistics info, thats what id do. Also box of truth is a good website.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Welcome to the forum from VA...I use 180gr for both range and carry

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Winchester Rangers 155gr Hollowpoints in both my XD's (a .40 full size and a .40 subcompact.) I shoot for practice 155 FP Raniers (reloading) I have had good result with both from an accuracy standpoint.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Welcome Xwildonex. Conratulations on your purchase. I carry the same pistol for back-up. For range practice I shoot either Remington Golden Sabre Bonded JHP 165 grain. For carry I use either Hornady TAP 180 grain or Federal Hydra-Shok 180 grain. I have never had any feed issues with any of them.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts