Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, So I decided on the XD. GREAT! But there are so many choices. Let me first off tell you guys that I am very satisfied by reading all of the great topics. I was interested by the XD through several gun mag articles, but y'all took me over the edge and sold me on the XD. First off, let me give you a little past history before I ask you all the questions. I have very little handgun experiance, infact Ive only held two handguns in my life. The first was a buddies Taurus (only shot a few rounds), and the second was a Berreta M92F in Small arms qualification at my Air Force Field Training this past summer. I scored an expert (as did 25% of my flight), meaning I put more than 30 out of 36 center of mass (In various positions and between 10-25 yds). Needless to say I was completely hooked with the style of shooting. I do however have a wide breadth of rifle/shotgun experiance, so I do have some experiance with firearms.....Phew, now with that said here are my questions.

Needs: Mainly target/plinking shooting, not planning on using it for primarily self defense (I currently use my shotgun for home defense, and not looking to carry except when hunting or when outdoors (as in wilderness))

Would I go for the Service or Tatical?

I really do enjoy the feel of the service, it is lighter and almost seems more balanced with out the mag. But at the same time, I would imagine the Tactical being 1" longer would feel more balanced with a mag. Additionally the only reason why I am leaning towards the Tactical is due to accuracy. I dont know why, but I have this innate feeling as though accuarcy is better than power (then again I also own a .17 HMR rifle). Call me crazy if you may.

Second question is a hotly debated topic on this board:

9mm or .40 :?:

I ask because I was trained on a 9mm, and if the military uses it, then its obviously good enough for stopping power. Am I wrong as far as the thinking goes. Honestly, I see a lot of mocking of the 9mm by a crowd that is not well experianced with the round itself. And since I am actually not partial at all right now, I would definately like to hear the advice on this subject. Can the 9mm defend me as well as the .40 cal and/or can it shoot more accurately? I dont care about cost of ammo, or price of gun (irrelevant at my retailer). What choice would be wise for my type of shooting? I would appreciate any response. (keep in mind, I cant have both).

I really enjoy being here, and hope to post soon on the choice I made. Thanks for your answers. :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
congratulations on your decision. regardless of what you choose, i know you'll be happy with it.

i got a couple of things i'd like to share.

a) if money isn't a factor...get the 5" tactical. most people will tell you that the extra inch doesn't do much for accuracy...but being a hunter, i'm sure you recognize that any little bit...will help. besides why go smaller if you don't have to? honestly.

b) get the largest bullet you can control accurately. PLEASE don't think that simply because uncle sam says its good...its the best. i'm no shooting expert but i have shot the beretta m9's in the army. its good...but i won't go so far as to say the best. i think a lot of people overlook the fact that a valid part of "stopping power" is bullet construction. ball ammo parts tissue. hollow points (when not clogged with clothing, bone, wood, etc) expand well. i know jim cirrillo (NYPD shooting legend) made his own bullets for duty because of some of the information above. while i'd listen to everyone's opinion...i'd listen more closely to people who have been there and done that. you know?

something to think about...if you go .40 now and end up not liking it, or money for rounds becomes an issue, you can make a secondary purchase for the 9mm barrel (i think) and end up with 2 guns. :D

c)as with cars...take it for a test drive. grab one of each if you can. since you admitted most of your firearm knowledge is from long guns...handguns might be something of a mystery to you. they were to me. :) grab what you think you'll like...and fire 'em up. in my opinion that's the best way to decide. its kinda hard to argue holes in the paper, if you know what i'm sayin'!! :wink:

so to make a long story longer...get the biggest gun you can afford (for your specific usage) and get the biggest bullet you can control (for that usage).

and again...congratulations on your choice. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the 40 is the better choice for the simple fact that you can turn it into a 9 or 357sig.I have the service model in 40 and its more accurate than I am.

·
Registered
102 Posts
davidm767,

I've got two XD's, a service 357 Sig and a compact 9mm. Really, the compact is my wife's, but she lets me use it. Both are very accurate, especially the service 357 Sig.

I'm a bit confused about your question, though. You mention that the pistol is going to be for target/plinking shooting, but then you're concerned about which round is the best people stopper. If you're concerned with stopping power, then bigger is better, in most cases, though I have to admit I'm not a real fan of the .40. It's not because it's a bad round. I just think there are better rounds.

That said, I've personally seen people shot with many different calibers of handguns, due to being a retired cop. I've seen people killed with a .22 short, and with a .44 magnum and just about everything in between. They were all dead, but it took longer for the person shot with the .22 short to die. I've also seen many people shot with the 9mm and two shot with the .40. Whether they're stopped or not all depends on shot placement. A poor hit with a really big bullet won't do as well as a good hit with a smaller bullet. Construction of the bullet also has a lot to do with stopping power, though that's really not a good term. I've also seen people who were hit with what should have been a killing wound, but survived. There is no cut and dried answer to this question.

My suggestion is to get what you're going to be comfortable with. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the service model, as far as accuracy. At least not in my 357 Sig. It will cluster bullets into little tight groups, if I do my part. My Wife's compact 9mm is much more accurate than it has a right to be for it's size. At 15 yards, you can make happy faces on a humanoid target from point shoulder or Weaver stance, as long as you exercise a good sight picture and trigger control. If you like the 9mm, then go with it. For one thing, the magazine holds more rounds, if that's a concern for you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, pick what you're comfortable with. It's kind of like asking your neighbor which brand of car you should buy. You're the one that's going to be driving it, so you pick what you want to own and drive, or shoot in this case.

Good luck.

Fred

·
Registered
141 Posts
Reminds me of what my dad always said about high capacity 9mm's compaired to single stack 45's"If you cant hit them with the first seven then you aint going to hit them with the other ten".

·
Registered
813 Posts
caliber is not as important as ability to hit the target effectively and quickly reaquire your target for followup. In the past the larger is better theory was a legit argument due to the poor ammuniton technology, but nowadays with the new designs and materials, a good 9mm round will do the job just as well.
My experience I have seen 1 shot stops with .22s and 9mms and have also seen a person take 7 rounds of .45 and keep advancing. Does that mean the .45 is not as effective? Nope, it means that each situation is different and there are multiple factors involved.

On that note, I would recommend either the .40 service or tactical simply because you can swap barrels instead of buying a complete pistol.

"If you cant hit them with the first seven, you have 10 more chances to save your ass" :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Simply put, get the XD Service or Tactical in 9mm.

Shoot safe and most importantly, Enjoy! :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
If this is to be used strictly for target shooting/ plinking, go with the 9mm Tactical. Better balance, longer sight radius, cheaper ammo.
If any other use is a possibility,(self defense, bowling pin matches, etc) go with the largest caliber that you are comfortable with and can maintain control of in rapid fire situations.
Also keep in mind that the longer (read: heavier) the gun, the lower the percieved recoil.
Oh, and unless you are just going for WOW factor, stay away from the ported models.
Lots of variables. Good luck in making your choice.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome. It seems like your best bet would be to get the 9mm tactical. But of course, get what feels better in your hand. Plus, the 9mm is plenty for self-defense if needed. Self-defense is mostly about shot placement and attitude.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm fairly new to guns as well, but being that you want it only for target shooting from the many many things I've read here i would think the 9mm tactical would be your best bet,, cheaper ammo

as for the 9 vs 40 you will get a 50/50 split... shooting at blocks of gel, will only tell you so much,

the true test would be to take a guy who is dead set on his caliber of choice say the 40 "its got to be the 40 or nothing" then stand him against the wall and say ok I'm going to unload a mag of 9mm into you....im betting he changes his mind.. in then end 9 or 40 your going to get the same result,, i don't think i have ever heard anybody say I'd rather take 3 rounds of 9mm in the head or chest than 40

but thats just my newbie opinion

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not to drag on the 9mm v .40 debate, but in the personal protection course I took, the instructor touched on stopping power. He had some statistics of different ammo calibers and types and their statistical stopping power from one shot center mass. 9mm federal hydrashoks i believe were the highest 9mm on the study, at 89%. Corbon .40 was at 96%. With both one-shot stopping power sitting near or above 90%, I'd feel comfortable with either round for my carry gun. Plus, I'm sure stopping power increases dramatically with the second shot ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would recommend the 40 Tactical model. For one, you can buy a replacement barrel and convert to 357sig or 9mm, so you get 3 guns in one, and you can plink with the cheaper 9mm ammo.

But the main reason is I just love this gun. It feels good when you pick it up. As far as accuracy, it blows away all other handguns I have shot. I just point where I want to shoot and BOOM it goes right where I aimed. I have run about 1000 rounds thru mine and I am getting much better at drawing and firing multiple shots from different positions accurately and quickly like you would in a defensive situation. I have been practicing at much further distances and have been really surprised at how accurate I have become. I have fed it all kinds of bullets from different manufacturers and I have had ZERO problems with it despite hearing a few complaints about FTFs and FTEs, corrosion, etc. Every one of my friends that have shot it really like it and want one now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have owned a 9mm S&W for better than ten years, I like the 9mm. However, after firing the XD40 service for the first time I fell in love with it. It does not feel to "kick" any harder than my 9mm. I am very happy with it and it is a nice piece to my collection. I now use it for my protection weapon. My 2 cents, buy the 40.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the military general population uses the 9mm because it is cheaper, plain and simple(yes that is fact). Special forces units use larger caliber rounds, I.E. .45 cal Kimber, H&K MK23. These guys are in it up to there necks often and price is usually not an concern for these units. I think that about says it all. However if you are only using the weapon for target shooting than 9mm all the way.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just my .02...But don't get sold on the big bullet theory.....Get what you can afford..You won't go wrong with the XD in any aspect....The reason I say get what you can afford is the ability to shoot on a regular basis...9mm's are cheap 6.99 in my neck....and shoot often....a well placed round is better that 7 or 10 or 12 all over the place!

:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
True, NATO adopted the 9mm round as the std sidearm round, but they didn't do it because of stopping power issues. Most of the militaries involved in NATO at the time of the adoption already used 9mm as their standard round while we used .45 and a couple others used some bastard sizes. Popular opinion and issues of finance regarding the rearming smaller less well off countries led to the adoption of the 9mm round accross NATO so there would be less conflict of supply lines in a large scale military engagement as was the thinking of USSR invading Europe. This way we could ship our guys off to West Germany and utilise ammo that was already in country in battle rather than having to ship men, as well as the beans n bullets.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Qasoswat said:
the military general population uses the 9mm because it is cheaper, plain and simple(yes that is fact). Special forces units use larger caliber rounds, I.E. .45 cal Kimber, H&K MK23. These guys are in it up to there necks often and price is usually not an concern for these units. I think that about says it all. However if you are only using the weapon for target shooting than 9mm all the way.
a lot of SF operators use the M9.

also a lot of high-speed, teflon coated, wind tunnel tested SF units still are pretty happy with their MP5s last i checked. SWAT and counter terrorist police units seem to feel the same way.

the 9 v .40 argument is the stupidest thing ever and i just wish that it would die.

i know Qasoswat was actualy talking about the .45ACP, which is my favorite calliber....but 9 is great, .40 is great....it dosent matter.

a gun is a tool
you are the weapon

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Parabellum9x19mm said:
the 9 v .40 argument is the stupidest thing ever and i just wish that it would die.
I wouldn't say that; there's a reason both exist, and when one buys a gun, they have to choose between the two. When choosing, one ought to have a logical reason for choosing the one they did. Granted, both are fine rounds; however, there is no one "do all" caliber, and thus enters the 40/9 debate.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Qasoswat said:
Exactly! Most other countries also use the 9mm pistols. So you can always pick up a handgun from a fallen enemy for ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts