Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've pretty much made up my mind to purchase an XD as my first machine. I've been lurking around and reading everything I can get my hands on about the XD. I think I know what I want but I was looking for opinions before I purchase. What a great place to get opinions!

As I mentioned, this is my first pistol. It will be a range and personal defense weapon only, no duty, no CC. I really like the look and feel of the 5" tactical since I have no carry constraints and may have better accuracy with a longer barrel. I'm also leaning toward the .40cal for a bit more punch and the ability to install a 9mm slide for range economy.

I almost bought a 17 until I picked up an XD. This machine feels like it belongs in my hand. Thanks in advance for the views and comments.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Sounds like you made an excellent choice. I just bought my 3rd XD in .40 this week. Don't have the 5" yet, but maybe someday. :D

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've never shot the 5'', but do have the 4'' in the 40, and with the option of the conversion barrel, I'd 2nd that's the way to go. If ya get a chance shoot one in both the 5 and 4''.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Welcome to the HS/XD funhouse!! I have a couple 40 Tacticals. Fun to shoot and a versatile round for reloading bunny fart competition loads that shoot softer than 9mm. Of course I like my 9mms and 45 GAP also. I have a BarSto 9mm conversion barrel for the 40 Tactical and it works good. Don't use it much anymore since I'm trying the move away from 9mm in competition, but still use it for plinking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to the board, and I think your making the right choice with a .40 Tactical. Was my 1st XD also, then bought a 4" and then a Sub-compact. All shoot real nice, no FTF/FTE, no rust. Ammo a bit more expensive, but I like the bigger holes it punches in paper and a would-be perp if it ever comes to that. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just recently bought an XD 9mm SC. My main reason for it was as a carry gun. I have over 10 years experience with GLOCKs in competition. My competition gun was a stock Glock 24. It had over 100,000 rounds and took me to both OPEN and Limited Master in IPSC

Most of my Glocks were in 40 S&W. If you are going to use it as range gun, the longer slide should help accuracy. Not because of the longer barrel, but because the distance between the front sight and rear sight is greater. It allows for better sight alignment. Any errors in alignment are minimized.

I have been dry-firing my XD and have fired about 50 rounds thru it (Winchester White Box) WWB. It functions well.

General impressions of why I bought the XD 9mm SC.

1. The Glocks have a very low barrel. My shooting hand tends to get a very high grip. The web of my hand has scars from the Glock slide RIPPING skin off. My fix on my competition gun was to apply JB Weld and create a "beavertail" type effect. The XD does not have this effect, but because the barrel is higher it will "flip" a little more.

2. Due to recent financial issues, I have sold all my reloading equipment and most of my guns (the only one I have left is a 7" 1911 - not a good carry option). I chose the 9mm because for $4.50 I can shoot 50 rounds of factory ammo vs. 10.00 for 40 S&W. If I was reloading it would not be as much a concern.

3. I love the ambidextrous mag release of the XD. I shoot right handed and prefer to release the mag with my trigger finger. It is much faster and does not disturb my grip.

4. I like that the mags are metal and do not stick compare to the Glocks.

5. When I grip the Glock, I could compress the grip inward a little. Not a big deal, but on the XD the grip is thicker and doesn't compress inwards.

6. The XD9SC was about $100.00 less than a Glock 19.

7. From my experience the Glock has a much better trigger. When using the XD with two hands I don't notice the XD's trigger too much. But strong hand or weak hand will have the "front sight" jump off the target either before or after the striker releases. The XD stock trigger has a much longer reset than a Glock.

8. My XD is too new to discuss finish issues. But I have noticed on the threads that some folks believe the XD finish could be more durable.

9. Overall I am very happy with my XD and would recommend it. I plan on getting the trigger worked on in the future (or let dry firing break it in).

10. I would like to see a titanium striker for the XD. Maybe from Lighting Strike. In my Glock it was one of the only aftermarket items that I kept.

Hope this is helpful and not overly long.

Tim

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great feedback and the hearty welcome! I feel much more confident with my choices now. Keep it coming!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts