Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out today with the new
XDm 4.25 10mm

At this point I have owned the G 20 gen 4 and the Rock Island Commander size 1911 in 10mm.

I was going to warm up with it a bit on a silhouette target to get a feel for the gun and the trigger before I tried anything remotely target but I changed my mind.

I thought it might be more interesting if I just shot the damn target cold. I am not a super shot. I don't feign to be a bullseye competitor so this is what a regular old dude like me that goes to the range once or twice a month can expect. I am average at best.

The Target sheet is one with a circle in the center and 4 periphery targets. I dont know how big they are but there are 5 targets on a page.

I did break the gun down and oil it up before its first outing. This is the first 8 shots I made at 7 yds right from the box and having no familiarity with the gun. Ignore the flyer off to the left out of the target. I let the young RO try the gun out and he was shooting at the lettering in the middle of the target as not to waste my targets. He was drooling and I enjoy sharing guns at the range.
8 rds 7yds
http://www.boriqualeather.com/stuff/First 8 XDm.jpg

The Trigger is VERY different from the Glock. I didn't feel any sponge. There is some take up but the XDm has a very noticeable stiff break and the take up is pretty short. I have read over the years that many real target shooters prefer a trigger where they roll through the break but I prefer a pronounced trigger break and I enjoy my 1911's at no less than 5 lbs. For you glock shooters, that sponge might not be an issue but it destroyed my shooting. The only gun I enjoyed less ever was an LCP.

If you like a very light trigger .. Hmmm .. it would be close but you might not love this. Its not heavy at all but it is firm. It does however break so fugin clean that I was wondering how they managed in a relatively inexpensive plastic gun. I mean SNAP/crackle break.

The reset is like a fine machine. Nice solid CLACK into reset. I again found it was far more pronounced than the glock. Felt about as good as the reset on my 1911 .. maybe even a scootch better.

Here is about 30 rounds fired at 10 yds a touch more quickly as I got used to the reset and how best to use it

30rds 10yds
http://www.boriqualeather.com/stuff/30 at 10 yds XDm.jpg

The polymer must be different than that used in the Glocks. Good or bad regarding longevity .. This gun didnt have the noodle effect. I found the glock frame to be so flexible that after firing you had to kind of wait for the gun to settle down before shooting your next round. It was fractions of a second but if you shoot enough and have looked down the barrel and noticed flex you know what I am a talking about.

I would fire the glock and it would feel like it was waving around like a hose when you just turn on the water or one of those silly wiggly men at the gas stations.

None of that happened with the XDm. It felt solid and offered outstanding feedback. I dont worry to much about my next deadly encounter. I like sporting things and if you are focused you pick up on these things. Follow up shots were a breeze. Which leads me to

Reading about the gun prior to purchase everyone was advocating using a heavier recoil spring. I bought a 22# after reading about it in 12 different places but haven't received it yet but .. with the factory spring .. recoil was very very manageable. It fired straight back into my hand and the sights hardly moved. No readjusting grip no nothing. Point, shoot and shoot again. It was stout but not snappy. Felt remarkably similar to the many 45's I have shot.

I personally didnt experience any muzzle flip. I was going to try some one handed shooting but ran out of energy after playing some more.

The fiber optic sight was fine .. first thing I usually do is look for after market sights but these worked out just fine in Indoor fair lighting. Saves me a 100 bucks on new sights.

Here is 12 rounds at 15 yds
http://www.boriqualeather.com/stuff/12 at 15 yds XDm.jpg

Like every other XD I ever had it ran like clock work. I was shooting factory Magtech 180 gr and it ate it all without the slightest hesitation. I collected a fair bit of my brass and checked it out. Not the slightest bulge or bump. Brass looks freagin great!

Before I put it away I put a silhouette target at 25 yds and put 6 right in the forehead and 4 center mass.

Then

I broke out my 1911 in 10 mm ... was I as accurate with the XDm as I was with the 1911? No .. I wasnt. I was able at 7 yds to take out the little 1" circle in the middle of the small targets in 6 rounds and was better across the board at longer distances.

Having said that .. One .. I have spent alot more time behind 1911's and two .... I dont think you will ever get the same accuracy with a couple of frame tabs as you will a full length frame rail .. Its just math. No matter how nice a company makes a trigger set up .. its hard to beat the 1911.

In summation .. Without any brand loyalties and in MY experience .. the actual shooting of the XDm blew away the Glock 20 gen 4. Just no comparison, not even in the same league of shooting experience. Could it tolerate the abuse glocks are reported to be able to withstand or have the longevity .. I dont know but ....Just picking up two guns and shooting .. the shooting experience of the XDm was just far and away better. It felt fairly 1911ish but you get 15 rounds to play with before having to re-up. I have been shooting a while but for a newer shooter .. there is a lot less learning curve with the XDm. I really just picked it up and let it go and it played along.

As a walking the woods/desert gun I would feel completely at ease with this gun against any target. One spare mag giving you 30 rds of badassedness. Its fairly light weight, feels rigid when firing, has nice sights from the factory and at $555.00 with FFL transfer doesnt break the bank so you will cry less if you fall down and scratch it.

I love those .. "if you had to leave with one gun" threads. Well if I could bring ammo .. this might be the one. It does everything really well and bonus .. I shot it well enough and it hauls a nasty fast bullet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little follow up
Went out this morning with the XDm 10mm. I have since changed out the one major concern with the XD models and replaced the striker retaining pin for a coiled pin. Pin cost $2. I also installed a 22 lb recoil spring. Cost $7.50 ish

Guys .. this gun is bad ass. I know triggers are a very selective thing but "FOR ME" this is one of the finest out of the box striker fired triggers I have ever owned and at this point I must have had 15 at least. I saw on you tube someone threw a trigger pull scale on one and it comes in around 5.5 lbs but the take up is without sponge and the reset is awesome. The trigger pull weight alone doesnt tell the whole story.

I wasnt having trouble with the recoil with the stock spring but prevailing wisdom on the XD forum is to change it out for a heavier spring and it was nice not chasing brass 5 miles away. It did make the gun react a little differently and it was less "snappy" and more thud. I preferred the thud and had an AWESOME time shooting this thing today.

After about 12 rds at 7 yds to warm up after getting off the bike I moved the target out to 15 yds. That was the first shot

http://www.boriqualeather.com/stuff/15yd.jpg

I just do not get a lot of muzzle flip even when I purposely held it a little loose. The gun sits down deep in the hand so it doesnt want to flip. I did some shooting at the reset and I did some where I would lower the gun after each shot briefly and get off the trigger to raise the gun and fire and easy 3-4 inch at 10 yds shooting quickly.

Then just for giggles I brought the target back in to 7 yds and popped off 7 rds with one hand. Not totally aimed not to fast .. Imagine in your mind a metronome and that is about as fast I shot them.

http://www.boriqualeather.com/stuff/7yd one hand.jpg

The gun is a freagin keeper and I have found my walking in the desert gun. I feel pretty good with the round, the gun and my ability to hit something with it. Damn thing is so nice I might just might trade out my glock for an XDM in 9mm.

Now having said all that .. I am still more accurate naturally with the Rocky 10mm commander. Just a little easier to get straight up bullseyes with it and at 25 yds I am just better with the 1911. Trigger I think has a lot to do with it. Aint no thang like a 1911 trigger but having said that .. for a plastic fantastic .. this XDM has a really sweet "for me" trigger. Im lovin it.

Whats nice is I spent about 14 bucks with shipping to make a great gun a little better. I dont have to look at sights or triggers or anything .. its done.

Keep in mind .. those targets are made by me .. a nobody .. if your a real shooter imagine what you could do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the nice write up. I’ve been wanting one of these since I first heard about them. Couldn’t resist the urge anymore and have one in its way! I have had an XD9 service since they first came out and that thing has been incredible. It’s been my go to woods/ATV gun it’s whole life and has been muddy, dusty, frozen, bloody, submerged and has never once failed to fire through who knows how many thousands of rounds. If this new XDM10 is even have as good as my original XD has been I’ll be happy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
A little follow up
Went out this morning with the XDm 10mm. I have since changed out the one major concern with the XD models and replaced the striker retaining pin for a coiled pin. Pin cost $2. I also installed a 22 lb recoil spring. Cost $7.50 ish

Guys .. this gun is bad ass. I know triggers are a very selective thing but "FOR ME" this is one of the finest out of the box striker fired triggers I have ever owned and at this point I must have had 15 at least. I saw on you tube someone threw a trigger pull scale on one and it comes in around 5.5 lbs but the take up is without sponge and the reset is awesome. The trigger pull weight alone doesnt tell the whole story.

I wasnt having trouble with the recoil with the stock spring but prevailing wisdom on the XD forum is to change it out for a heavier spring and it was nice not chasing brass 5 miles away. It did make the gun react a little differently and it was less "snappy" and more thud. I preferred the thud and had an AWESOME time shooting this thing today.

After about 12 rds at 7 yds to warm up after getting off the bike I moved the target out to 15 yds. That was the first shot

http://www.boriqualeather.com/stuff/15yd.jpg

I just do not get a lot of muzzle flip even when I purposely held it a little loose. The gun sits down deep in the hand so it doesnt want to flip. I did some shooting at the reset and I did some where I would lower the gun after each shot briefly and get off the trigger to raise the gun and fire and easy 3-4 inch at 10 yds shooting quickly.

Then just for giggles I brought the target back in to 7 yds and popped off 7 rds with one hand. Not totally aimed not to fast .. Imagine in your mind a metronome and that is about as fast I shot them.

http://www.boriqualeather.com/stuff/7yd one hand.jpg

The gun is a freagin keeper and I have found my walking in the desert gun. I feel pretty good with the round, the gun and my ability to hit something with it. Damn thing is so nice I might just might trade out my glock for an XDM in 9mm.

Now having said all that .. I am still more accurate naturally with the Rocky 10mm commander. Just a little easier to get straight up bullseyes with it and at 25 yds I am just better with the 1911. Trigger I think has a lot to do with it. Aint no thang like a 1911 trigger but having said that .. for a plastic fantastic .. this XDM has a really sweet "for me" trigger. Im lovin it.

Whats nice is I spent about 14 bucks with shipping to make a great gun a little better. I dont have to look at sights or triggers or anything .. its done.

Keep in mind .. those targets are made by me .. a nobody .. if your a real shooter imagine what you could do.
similar experience and thoughts.
so impressed with the pistol I bought a second one and set it up the same way (solid guide rod and 22# springs).
my G20 and G29 are unlikely to see much outside the safe at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just took delivery my first ever SA product, the 5.25" XDm in 10. My other 10mm's are an EAA Witness Hunter, the G20, G29 and the RIA Ultra 1911 high-cap. My experience and reaction to the XDm is about the same as the op, and I doubt I'll ever shoot the G20 again. For me, there is no comparison as far as comfort, overall feel and general confidence. The XDm cycled everything I put in it, and in shooting it side-by-side with the 1911, I actually didn't have a huge preference for the 1911 trigger. Granted, the stock RIA trigger must be like 6 lbs, still, I find it to be a very decent trigger. The XDm trigger? No complaints here--I prefer it over the aftermarket ones I have in the G20 and 29 by a long shot.

Went to the range again today with the XDm, and shot more cast handloads and a box of 165 gr Gold Dot handloads...I love this gun. I must also say, I see no reason at all to change anything on the gun, not the trigger or the recoil spring or anything else. It shoots just fine, for me, the way it came from the factory. I love it. If they make a compact in 10, I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

but "FOR ME" this is one of the finest out of the box striker fired triggers I have ever owned
For me, it the best out-of-the-box OR aftermarket striker-fired trigger that I have experienced. But, I don't give a hoot about take-up, reset or anything else...I just care about getting accustomed to shooting with the control I need to get the shots I want, and there's nothing about this trigger that prevents me from getting the shots. Did I mention I love this gun? Not sure if I mentioned that already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Boriqua I just picked the 4.5 10mm as well. Love it. Was your 22lb spring shorter than the stock? I just picked one up and it's shorter, it does have smaller spacing on the coils and more but when installing the rod and spring back into the slide, the stock feels like it has more resistance. My stock spring is broke in as well.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I may do the 22 lb spring as well. Been loving my 4.5 10mm since June 2019.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts