Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up my bi tone XD9 from my LGS and took it directly up stairs to the indoor range. I field striped the weapon, cleaned it, then set up on my assigned lane for some goodol XD fun. I loaded the three hicap mags with Magatech and went to work on the bad guy target with some nice groups and not a failure through the whole box of fifty. Out of ammo, I went to the desk to buy some more and the guy gave me some out of the box, just in the tray, and said that they were Magatech. They didn't look like Magatech, but I took them any way. With full mags I went back to work on my bad guy, well, I tried to anyhow. With all three mags I had at least a quarter or the rounds FTF but mostly FTE's. The FTF were caused mostly by the FTE's. It really sucked. These were some awefull reloads. Some blasted like crazy plus P plus ammo, and the others didn't even produce a noticible recoil. The failures happened with the week rounds. This ammo also produced some nasty gunk all over the bore and breach areas.
Well, with the crud rounds finally spent, I bought some White box Winchester, the gun ate these like candy. I then moved to a box of twenty, of some Corbon plus P carry ammo. These were flawless, but produced a very noticeable elevated recoil and a nasty muzzle flash. These bad little daddys punched some nice clean holes in my bad guy compared to the ballpoint stuff.
All in all it was a good outing with the new XD with flawless performance aside from the dud box of crap. My bad guy didn't give much of a fight, come to think of it, the range did smell a little funny, I think he may have soiled his pants when he saw me whip out my spankin new XD.
Be safe and give those paper bad guys, (and maybe the real ones if the time comes), some XD hell. :D

·
Registered
889 Posts
I wouldn't take the word of that joker again, sounds like he sold you a box of floor sweepings. When they clean up the range they find misc. rounds that fall out of reach of the firing line, and rebox them and resell them. That would be fine if they only had one kind of ammo and nothing from the outside, but they get all the crap ammo that people reloaded themselves, and dropped on the floor. You'er real lucky that you didn't end up with a squib load, or something real hot that someone loaded.
If you ever go back I'd bring my owen ammo if they let you, or at the very least never let them sell you a box that looks like it has been opened, and dosen't look like all the ammo is new.
It sounds like everything else went fine, and you failuers where just the crappy ammo, and that Corbon is some hot stuff, aint it, I use some Corbon 45acp 200gr+Ps in my 1911 carrygun.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Corbon stuff was hot but it was fun(expensive) to shoot. I couldn't believe how many failures I had with the range stuff, but none with the boxed ammo. I think I'll go back to the range on Sun and put a couple hundred more through it. Hopefully my cpl will come in the mail soon so I can start packing that bad boy. As for the "squib" rounds, I don't really know what that is but I did have five or six rounds that didn't want to chamber fully like they were to fat or something. Go figure. :?

·
Registered
889 Posts
A squib is when you get a round that for whatever reason dose not push the bullet all the way out of the barrel. If this happens now you have a bullet stuck in the barrel, and if you don't know it and fire another round, will lets just say it's not a good thing :cry: .
Some times when people are relaoding, maybe they forget to put powder in the case, or the powder is bad, and the primer dose have enough power to push the bullet out of the case, but not all the way out of the barrel. I have seen it when the bullet stops right at the rifling,and not going into the barrel, and then you can not chamber the next round, and you know something is wrong, and I have also seen with a light powder charge that the bullet will go part way up the barrel, and then you can chamber another round and fire, well lets just say some guns can take it, and some turn into bombs :shock: .
I have had spiders lay egg sacks in empty cases :? , and then the primer can not ignite the powder fully. I had this happen one time, and the bullet left the barrel and bounced off a cardboard target, had it just left a dent.
Now I keep all my empty brass in a bucket with a cover :wink:
Hope this doesn't scare you away from shooting, but if you ever hear people say that thay will not shoot other peoples reloads, you will know why.
Reloading is perfectly safe if done right, I have been reloading for about 20 years (man I feel old), and have my share of squibs, maybe 8 or 10, but thats out of about 150,000 rounds. I haven't blown any thing up either :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats interesting about squibs. I wouldn't want to see what happens when a round is chambered and fired in a squib situation.
I won't be scared away from shooting and I think other peoples reloads work just fine, but I didn't think it was possible to get so much variation from one box of ammo. The range reloads also left a very large grain residue inside of the chamber and the spent powder didn't smell like what I am used to. They had racks and racks of this stuff in all calibers, I feel sorry for the guys who buy that stuff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome from a fellow WAtonian. My XD9 likes WWB too, best practice round IMO. Corbon seems to be popular for carry. You draw a smily face on that BG target? ;) I would have been tempted to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts