Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, long time no see. I havn't been on in a long time due to moving from Arizona, to Illinois, to Virginia, to California in less than a year (yay Navy!) but somewhere during that time period I bought my XD9! I got the stainless version for about $440 from some big sports store in AZ. Anyway, I'm now in California, so I had to order some "special" mags, but I'm pretty much good to go. I've shot approximately 800 rounds of WWB through it now, with a couple cleanings in between, and on about round 797 I had a FTE. It was no big deal, just had to lock the slide back, pop the mag out, and the spent brass fell out. Now, I could have limp wristed it, because I just shot my friend's S&W 500 (that gun is a BEAST) and after that the XD felt like shooting a water pistol, but ever since I got my XD I've noticed that it doesn't throw brass very far at all. I throws it right next to my right shoulder, so about 1' out and 1' back. I was thinking of getting Don's guide rod, and a #22 spring for it, but I always thought a weaker spring threw brass farther, and a stronger spring threw it closer. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have experienced the same thing. I have noticed that when shooting "plinking" ammo, that the pistol ejects the spent round irregularaly...

but... my "carry" round.. (federal hydra-shock 147gr) ejects consistently. I think that it is one of those "my gun likes to eat these" kind of issues. Last time I went shooting, I put two boxes of the federal rounds through the pistol, and found all but two of the casings inside a two foot circle just to my right.

My latest "plinking" round is Remington UMC.. but I have shot a lot of WWB as well.. and those rounds fly all over the place! Some over my head, some seem to fall straight down, some kick over my right shoulder... I don't really know why this is.. but it is.

Raymond

·
Registered
443 Posts
I would venture to say, since you had no others, that you would be correct on the possible "limp wrist".....anyways! Thanks for serving.....
I was also stationed in San Diego....onboard the USS Constellation CV-64.

Man I had some good times at NASNI.......

USN: June 1986 to June 1991

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
uggg.. West Coast sailors! I bet you don't even have to shine your shoes that far away from D.C.! LOL..

Norfolk NAVSTA for me... where dog's and sailors have to stay off the grass!

USS McCandless (ff-1084)

Raymond

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input guys, makes sense. I went to C-school in Virginia, and then came here after. I was amazed by how different everyone acts. It's all good times though :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have to say it might be the ammo you are using. The "Institution" I used to work for changed over from the Beretta 92F 9mm to a Beretta 92F 40 cal. They purchased crap ammo that did not have a powerful enough load to "rack the slide" back. In essence, it failed to eject the casing. They opted to go back to the 9mm because they did not want to spend the extra money to train us with a better weapon (which they subsequently got for free from Beretta to promote the gun). Cheap ass bastards....anyway, try ammo that is rated a bit higher and see what happens. More than likely, the slide may not be racking back far enough for the casing to properly eject. Good luck and hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts