Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking into getting my CCW for my should-be-here-soon XDS (*does the happy dance*) and now I'm thinking holsters.

For someone who's never done CC before, what would you recommend? My thoughts are that I'd want to do IWB since it gives me more options clothing-wise, especially since women's clothing is often much more formfitting than mens. My thoughts are kind of all over the place: a Remora holster to sit maybe at the 5-5:30 position, a Firearms Holster (kinda like a Crossbreed), or the Flashbang bra holster. Yeah, like I said, all over the place.

Heh, :roll::cool: I'll probably end up having a dresser drawer full of all different kinds by the end, but where would you recommend I start?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I really like my Alien Gear which is very similar to the two you have already mentioned. You might also look into a one piece kydex holster that is molded like a taco around the gun. This is a thinner holster that is not nearly as wide as a dual clip hybrid. Another good option might be a single clip hybrid holster.

A good place to start your search might be in the Gear section and then the vendor section. All three hybrid holsters that have been mentioned so far are supporting vendors. Just be prepared to wait a few weeks for a good custom molded holster.

I have only been carrying for a few months and have already accumulated 4 holsters plus an extra shell for my Alien Gear, 3 spare mag carriers, 2 guns along with the Springfield standard holsters and mag carriers. Yes you will quickly accumulate a drawer of holsters. As a lady this might not be such a bad thing as it will give you more carry options. For me I always carry about 4:30 IWB or 3:00 OWB but I am also always wearing a belt...

Good luck in your search. Stay safe and carry on...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'd probally try something like this, you can move it around till you find a spot you like ,then go from there, $image.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
My wife prefers thinness more than anything else.

For causal wear, she uses a basic iwb kydex rig with a belt clip.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And yes, no matter how much thought and research you put in to it... You'll end up with a minimum of 3-4 holsters per gun..

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
OP - you're in central CA and you've got a permit? I'm going to take a wild guess that you're in Bakersfield County, since anywhere else in the state you just about have to become a victim of a violent crime before they'll issue a permit.

Anyhow, take a look at the DeSantis Tuck This II. It's got a very strong clip that will hold fast without the use of a belt, and it's nylon so it won't wear as much against the finish, as is the case with a kydex holster.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Buy once, cry once: Crossbreed Mini-tuck. I cannot stress how much I love mine. I also have the matching IWB magazine pouch.

Don't forget that you're probably going to need to buy a couple pairs of new pants a size or two bigger than your normal size when carrying IWB. I'm a size 34 waist but I need a 36 to carry comfortably.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
You may want to try a hybrid style IWB first, like a Crossbreed, Tommy Theiss, Alien Gear (I'm not a fan), or my favorite the Black Mamba from Concealment Solutions. All of these companies offer a free 30-day trial period, so you really have nothing to lose. These style holsters are adjustable for both ride height and cant, and are very stable because they use 2 offset belt loops rather than one.

Also, don't go buying all new pants just yet, I have never needed to do this for IWB carry, I find that the pants will stretch a little bit to accommodate the holster. Of course it also depends on the holster and gun thickness.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
And another vote for the Crossbreed Supertuck........

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have tried a few and love mu alien gear. I will say this, i like my comp tac minotaur as well as my alien gear, but for the price, silly not to go with the alien gear. My opinion only.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have tried a few and love mu alien gear. I will say this, i like my comp tac minotaur as well as my alien gear, but for the price, silly not to go with the alien gear. My opinion only.
Alien Gear uses way too thick kydex and leather IMO, especially for a compact single stack gun like the XDs.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I think an IWB with a clip would be the best bet. Kinda depends on what you wear though. If you live on a ranch and wear jeans and a belt all the time then a regular holster with loops would work well. Pants and skirts that you wear without an appropriate gun belt would be better with a clip-type device. The clip also allows for easier repositioning and on/off for restroom breaks (having your gun fall out of your holster and bounce into the next stall can be, uh...awkward). You can also use the clip ons as a purse-holster too because they tend to be smaller and have less "apparatus" involved than even the most minimalist hybrid.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think an IWB with a clip would be the best bet. Kinda depends on what you wear though. If you live on a ranch and wear jeans and a belt all the time then a regular holster with loops would work well. Pants and skirts that you wear without an appropriate gun belt would be better with a clip-type device. The clip also allows for easier repositioning and on/off for restroom breaks (having your gun fall out of your holster and bounce into the next stall can be, uh...awkward). You can also use the clip ons as a purse-holster too because they tend to be smaller and have less "apparatus" involved than even the most minimalist hybrid.
The problem with single clip holsters is they are not nearly as stable as those with two attachment points.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
The problem with single clip holsters is they are not nearly as stable as those with two attachment points.
Absolutely true, which is why I no longer have any. All of my holsters use loops, slots, or a tunnel. Just like the boys, Ladyeclectic will learn to dress around the gun. As for me, I started wearing sport coats which not only help hide my piece, and give me greater latitude with holster and carry options, it gained me the reputation as being " the guy who always dresses nice".

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also love my crossbreed holster. I've used it to carry many xd and xdm pistols of different sizes and calibers. It is always the most comfortable. Especially when paired with a good gun belt. I chose the 5.11 leather belt and love it.
My dad carries his xds in a white hat holster. Very similar to the crossbreed but you can take the kydex off and put another on. In case you want to carry a different pistol.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Galco's King Tuk is every bit as good as a Crossbreed with a smaller pricepoint--its the only holster I have ever bought for my XDsc and same for my Glock...takes awhile to break in but its been durable, comfortable and reliable...

Alien Gear is my runner-up...same basic design but overbuilt for longevity...

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
1) welcome to the forum
2) love my Crossbreed Supertuck
3) yes, you will end up with a closet or drawer full of holsters
4) if you think you are receiving a lot of differing opinions, just post asking which gun lube you should use! :)

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
1) welcome to the forum
2) love my Crossbreed Supertuck
3) yes, you will end up with a closet or drawer full of holsters
4) if you think you are receiving a lot of differing opinions, just post asking which gun lube you should use! :)
LMAO...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts