Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished my first shooting competition of any kind ever yesterday. I went out to Texas Tactical's IDPA match at the new range southwest of Austin. I'm a new gun owner (I owned a Taurus about 15 years ago, but almost never went to the range). I had about 500 rounds through my XD9 before yesterday.

I'm definitely hooked on the IDPA matches. I got a G-Code paddle holster and dual mag pouch that both worked great for me. I definitely need to pick up some mags, since I only have the two that came with the gun. I shot WWB for the match without a hitch.

I'm anxious to see the results posted. I know I didn't do great, but I think I did okay. Well, except for shooting the non-threat in the head.....twice! Fortunately only one of them counts. My score on that stage was zero, so I would have nailed it except for that. I know I did well on the final stage. I was pretty amazed when I took down the spilt popper with just 2 shots on the move. The 4 people who did the stage before me all did it and I was sure I'd be the first in the group that didn't.

The match was well attended and very well run. The range was pretty good, but it's new and should only get better. I'm looking forward to next month!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I shot my first match with my XD-40 last Saturday. I'm hooked as well. I've competed in several different disciplines over the years-- shooting wasn't one of them. In everything else I was always nervous, in the first IDPA match I was not. I attribute this to the great, friendly people at the match and to the fact that it was so damn fun, I forgot to be nervoous! :D Plus, I was the only one there with an XD and everyone was fawning over it!

C

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I got some good comments on my XD as well.

I checked the results yesterday and learned that, out of 46, I came in 3rd on one of the stages. Consdering I had 600 rounds through my XD and two Air Force 9mm qualification courses to my credit before that, I was pretty pleased. Heck, that was the first time I'd ever even fired on the move!

Cant' wait until next month!

·
Registered
308 Posts
IDPA is a lot of fun 8) - - - you learn lots of skills that cold come in hand in a real gunfight. I tell new shooters at our matches we let them shoot free the first time to get them hooked! :wink:

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
IDPA is a great time. The trick is to find enough clubs to where you shoot one match per week. At this point, I do 2-3 matches a month. I am still looking for number 4, however please don't tell the "Mrs." :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts