Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this last Saturday I took my new XD40 to a local IDPA event. Let me start by saying this is not my first handgun, but untill I got it I rarely ever shot handguns. And before this weekend I had never had to draw from a holster or engage multiple targets.

That said, I had more fun there than any other hobby I have. First, I love my XD!!! It made me look better than I actually am. It was sooooo easy to double tap and rapid fire I actually did FAR better than I expected. I went with my best friend Ernie. He uses a Para Ordinance P12, and had a huge problem with it on every stage. His mag release was so worn down that after 2-3 shots, it would simply unlatch and try to fall. My XD... NO PROBLEMS, ever. I love my gun. Anyways, The first stage they call my name and I walk up and get ready, stand where I am told and wait for the beep. I was not jumpy or anything, then the beep...... all of the sudden, I felt VERY panicy (sp?) as I drew from my holster and took aim at the first target. Thank God the targets did not shoot back as I am sure I would be dead. I was sooo jittery and nervous. I managed to eliminate all 8 targets in under 25 seconds with one reload and no missed shots, but man I felt really awkward. As the day went on, and I get to the sixth and final stage I was feeling very confident and the jitters were all gone. I even manged to finish 21 out of 32 total people. Not too bad I think.

To those especially with a CHL, and those without one, I highly reccomend seeking out your nearest IDPA and at least going once. It is the only place I have ever gone to shoot and not only was rapid fire allowed, but also encouraged. After that, I at the very least feel I have learned (and practiced) sound tactics that one day (as unlikely as it may be) could save my life (or yours).

After we were finished shooting I quickly joined not only my local idpa chapter, but also the IDPA it's self. I only wish next weekend was not the north texas regional event as I will have to wait another week to do what I am now addicted to. :cry:

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to share. BTW, for those of you in north texas check out http://www.ccidpa.org

·
Registered
823 Posts
Welcome to Collin County IDPA, Nick, I wish I had been there to meet you but I have been recovering from shoulder surgery and am unable to draw and hold my gun up to shoot yet. :evil:

See you there sometime.

Jim

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have been useing my xd40 tac also for idpa this year and it has never let me down. Idpa is a ton of fun i hope it just keeps getting bigger.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Glad you and such a good time. IDPA is next on my list of things to try. I've been shooting USPSA matches all this year with my XD40 Tac. I highly recommend giving USPSA a try, you can probably walk out and shoot in the production division with the same gear you're using for IDPA.

Good luck

Jw

·
Registered
196 Posts
I went to a USPSA match 2 weeks ago and loved it, then did IDPA this past week and thought it was even better. I'm definately addicted too.

I was in the same boat as you bird dog, before the first match I'd never drawn from a holster or shot rapid fire. Heck, I'd never even tried reloading quickly while moving. Those things came alot more naturally than I'd have thought though.

Word of warning though, don't stand on a fire anthill while waiting to shoot!! :oops:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice about the ant hill.... Thanks for the welcome Jim, maybe I will see you at the NTR event this weekend. I will not be compeeting as I am not classified yet, but I will be going out there. Hope your shoulder recovers quickly.

It did eventually come naturally, after I got over being nervous. Man, I can't wait to do it again!!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am sorry to say that I can't be there this weekend. I was scheduled to RO some stages, but I just returned to work and they changed my schedule to working Saturdays (they're punishing me for getting hurt on the job) and I don't have enough leave left to take off Saturday. I may drop by after work just to see how things are going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts