Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my first handgun in the near future, primarily for range use. I have been eyeing the XDm in .40 for quite a while now. Recently I went out to a couple shops and handled several different guns. I found that I like the XDm, HK USP40, and the HK45.

Here is what I liked about each gun:

SAI XDm .40S&W
Price: About $100 cheaper than the USP and $200+ cheaper than the HK45
Control setup: Controls are laid out in a scheme I like, and can easily manipulate one handed
Capacity: 16+1 2mags in the box, 2 more through SAIs promo
Takedown: very simple, doesnt not involve trigger pull (trigger pull not that big of a deal)
Barrell: Hammer forged, "Match"
Trigger guard: More comfortable for 2 handed hold
Slide: Front serrations

HK USP .40S&W
Rifling: Polygonal = more accurate
Mechanism: Hammer, not striker
Safety: external safety (not a huge deal), decocking lever (nice touch)

HK45 .45ACP
Rifling: Polygonal (cant use lead?)
Mechanism: Hammer
Safety: Same as USP
Grip: Very secure grip texture
Controls: better mag release than USP, not better than XDm
Recoil: Uses a version of the MK23 recoil system (advertised as 30% less felt recoil)
Cal.: .45ACP but loose capacity
Slide: front serrations

I am curious does anyone have experience with the USP40 or the HK45? And if you do would you mind chiming in with how you feel it compares to the XDm. Do you feel that they are worth the extra price over the SAI XDm?

·
Registered
29,767 Posts
Of the 3? HK45, with USP40 coming in second.

The poly rifling won't be a big deal, unless you plan to reload and cast your own bullets.

The HK45 has a o-ringed barrel--similar to the Mk23, USP Tactical/Match/Elite series. I have a USP Tactical, and it is a tack driver.

Well, for range use, I guess capacity will mean that you won't have to reload your magazines as often...but, beyond that, big deal.

A USP is one of the softest-shooting .45's out there (It has the same recoil syste as the Mk23/HK45). The USP .40 is also a soft shooting .40.

The HK45's single-action trigger is pretty good; double action is heavy. It's pretty much the same, however, as the USP. I prefer the HK45's safety over the bulky USP safety.

I'm also one of the few people who like the USP/HK45 style safety. It seems a lot more natural to me, and I've found that if I use my trigger finger to drop a mag, I don't need to change my grip like I do on traditional-style mag releases.

German vs. Croation craftmanship. While the XD-M is not a bad pistol...the HK is a better one. Think Mercedes vs. Yugo.

To sum up--I've never gotten rid of any HK pistol I've owned. I had a XD-M for a little over a month before I traded it off.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have the HK45 and its overall the best 45 ive shot. I also have the XDM in 9mm. I do love the XDM. But i have not shot the XDM 40 so i cant really compare. If you want more capacity then the XDM would be the choice as it holds 6 rounds more than the HK. I have shot a 40 caliber Sig and i slightly prefer the recoil of the 45 ACP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have done some more thinking and it comes down to the HK45 or the XDm. I am most likely going to head out to the local gun shop today and take another look, and check the prices.

I think I would be happy with either, and eventually might own both. I will see what wants to come home with me tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts