Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm turning 21 in August and plan on buying an XD(M) 9mm. So far I have done a lot of research on XD's and XD(M)'s and feel that the best gun for home defense would be the 4.5 9mm. Anyone have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you can go rent and shoot some, see what feels best, that is good.

Otherwise, just have to jump in. Your choice would be good.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If it is strictly home defense I would go with a .45 but it is all preference and shot placement so shoot what you want to buy, before you buy.

And side note... the best Home Defense gun is generally thought of as a 12g. The sound of racking the slide alone will have them running for the hills.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it is strictly home defense I would go with a .45 but it is all preference and shot placement so shoot what you want to buy, before you buy.

And side note... the best Home Defense gun is generally thought of as a 12g. The sound of racking the slide alone will have them running for the hills.
Very true, but I already have a 12 gauge so right now I'm looking for something that i can keep in my nightstand drawer and that is much more easily accessible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would go with the 9 if you have not shot handguns much. It is cheaper to shoot, and therefore you can shoot more. My first was an xd-9 sc I bought in 2005, and I have never regretted a thing. The only recommendation I can make is if you are ever going to CCW this pistol, I would think about getting a short grip. Other than that, try not to think about it too hard as I doubt you will be disappointed with any of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go with the 9 if you have not shot handguns much. It is cheaper to shoot, and therefore you can shoot more. My first was an xd-9 sc I bought in 2005, and I have never regretted a thing. The only recommendation I can make is if you are ever going to CCW this pistol, I would think about getting a short grip. Other than that, try not to think about it too hard as I doubt you will be disappointed with any of them.
Glad to hear that you're still enjoying your'e xd! And one of the reasons i was thinking about the 9mm was its affordability especially since I'm a poor college student. haha

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
So far I have done a lot of research on XD's and XD(M)'s and feel that the best gun for home defense would be the 4.5 9mm. Anyone have any other suggestions?
No suggestions, but some advice. Carry what you shoot best. ANY caliber can be an adequate SD/HD weapon. Shot placement is king.

This list was originated for CC, but some of it can be applied to HD, also:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.

4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, you won't practice with it like you should.

FWIW, I carry an XD9SC daily when I'm out. I carry a Ruger LCR when working in the outside shop or yard. My HD weapons include my carry piece (stored by my bed), my wife's Taurus Judge, and a 5 round, 12 ga/ shotty. Also, a good alarm system, good locks, and 5 loud dogs.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
No suggestions, but some advice. Carry what you shoot best. ANY caliber can be an adequate SD/HD weapon. Shot placement is king.

This list was originated for CC, but some of it can be applied to HD, also:

The "best" gun is the one YOU like, not anyone else. It will be a compromise of:

1. Fit - It should fit in your hand like you were born with it there.
2. Reliability - It should go BANG about 99.8% of the time you pull the trigger.
3. Accuracy - In YOUR hand. It's how well YOU shoot it.

4. Concealability - It should be comfortable enough to wear and easy enough to conceal so you won't leave it laying on the dresser at home.
5. Cost - You don't want to scrimp on your "life protector" weapon, but you probably don't need a $1,000 Kimber, either.
6. Enjoyment - The caliber and gun should be fun to shoot. If it isn't, you won't practice with it like you should.
^^ This ^^

XDM is an excellent choice. But if you're planning to conceal carry later, I suggest getting the XDM compact. You may also consider putting night sights or a laser/light attachment.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I purchased my first handgun just before the new year and chose the XDM 3.8 9mm. primarily used for home defense but will conceal carry when i get my ccw.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My friend turned me onto xd's when he let me shoot his xd40 4.5 Shot a few other types of pistols and figured out how much I wanted to spend and bought an xdm40 compact bitone and I was in love. Need to buy more though...I have an itch that needs to be scratched.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Good choice but check CZ 75 SP01 and 75B as well. If you can rent/try your top 5 choices before buying, I urge you to do so.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The full size 4.5 will give you more to hold on to and with the longer sight radius will be easier to shoot accurately. The down side is it will be harder to CC than the XDm compact or a XDsc. For a drawer gun, the 4.5 is a great choice.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Wife has a XDM 3.8 compact 9mm with the changlable mag extensions. It's concelalbe(?), accutate, and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good choice but check CZ 75 SP01 and 75B as well. If you can rent/try your top 5 choices before buying, I urge you to do so.
Thanks for the extra suggestions! The CZ 75 SPO1 looks really good and the price is comparable to the XDM so now I'll definitely have to try it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
HS2000 (Hrvatski Samokres (Croatian Pistol)) is also a good gun for safety. It is a series of semi-automatic pistal and it was adopted by Carotian military.

·
Registered
403 Posts
HS2000 (Hrvatski Samokres (Croatian Pistol)) is also a good gun for safety. It is a series of semi-automatic pistal and it was adopted by Carotian military.
Uh, seriously?

The HS2000 just happens to be known here under its import name, the Springfield Armory XD.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Excellent choice for a first gun. I have about 5k rounds through my XDM9. The changeable backstrap will allow a custom fit. I can consistantly shoot one inch groups at 7 yards with it two handed. Ammo is $ 10.47 per box at Walmart. Be sure to budget at least what ever you pay for the gun on ammo and range fees for the first six months. A professional lesson or two is a good idea as well. It will probably take you that much time to become proficient.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Enjoy your first handgun and be safe.

I just picked up - today - my first semi-auto handgun (own a few revolvers, 12 gauge, and .223 rifle) - an XD40 4.08" bi-tone. I can't wait til I get off work so I can go drop 100 rounds through that bad boy!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
good choice! we can't buy here in connecticut until we have a permit- so, i'm awaiting approval. when i get it, i'm getting an XDm 9mm 3.8. I'd suggest night sights for a home defense gun. that's what i'll be getting!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts