Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For fathers day I treated myself to my first handgun and bought the 3.3 XDS .45. I have put 200 rounds of factory loads through it without ANY issues. I love this gun. I cleaned it as soon as I got it home for the store and after every time its been to the range. Now my question. After I went through the factory loads a buddy of mine reloads .45, 380, and 9mm. He shoots competition here and there and has been reloading for a long time, plus its cheaper to buy his. Now with the reloads ive "tried" to put 75 round down range and i would say 2 outa 5 round per clip I will pull the trigger with no boom. Eject the round out and try the round again and it might fire, had 3 yesterday that I hit 3 times and it didnt fire. I did compare the strikes on the factory ammo and the reloads, the reloads look ALOT lighter than the strikes on the factory loads. Ok nowww the question, is it the gun or the reloads?
Thanks

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, love my xds 45 but it will not shoot any rounds with the 7 rounds mags worth a darn. 5 rounders work no problem and this has been well documented on this site. SA even sent me new mags and still same problem. I love the gun but not reliable to carry every day except with 5 round mags. I would have really been upset if the 5 rounders caused problems but they dont

·
Registered
350 Posts
Next time it goes click instead of bang, check and make sure the round fully went into battery (i.e. the slide fully closed on the newly loaded round). I (and several others) had this issue. My fix was to send it into SA, where they adjusted the extractor.

FWIW, since I got my gun back, I've been shooting my reloads and they work fine.

·
Banned
0 Posts
I don't trust anybody's reloads but mine. You should really look into doing it your self. The primer may not have been seated all the way. The first time may have pushed it in and the second one may have fired it. However 2 out of every 5 is a lot. The round might need to be tailored to the smaller tolerances of the gun. Also another thing is the gun doesn't use clips, it uses magazines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad on the mags! I was questioning if I should put reloads through it because of stuff like this. Thanks for the info. Other than the reloads issue I love this gun and im very happy with this buy!

·
Registered
20 Posts
For fathers day I treated myself to my first handgun and bought the 3.3 XDS .45. I have put 200 rounds of factory loads through it without ANY issues. I love this gun. I cleaned it as soon as I got it home for the store and after every time its been to the range. Now my question. After I went through the factory loads a buddy of mine reloads .45, 380, and 9mm. He shoots competition here and there and has been reloading for a long time, plus its cheaper to buy his. Now with the reloads ive "tried" to put 75 round down range and i would say 2 outa 5 round per clip I will pull the trigger with no boom. Eject the round out and try the round again and it might fire, had 3 yesterday that I hit 3 times and it didnt fire. I did compare the strikes on the factory ammo and the reloads, the reloads look ALOT lighter than the strikes on the factory loads. Ok nowww the question, is it the gun or the reloads?
Thanks
Reloaded ammunition introduces so many variables to your misfire situation it isn't even funny.

.45 ACP head-spaces on the mouth of the case. Incorrect head-space can prevent the slide from closing completely or cause there to be a gap between the head of the chambered round and the slide. Either situation can cause misfires. If the case is not trimmed to the correct length, or the bullet not seated at the correct depth, or the bullet not crimped correctly, or the case not sized correctly, or the overall length of the assembled bullet is too long or too short, or the primer pocket is too deep, or the primer is seated too deeply, or the primer material is too hard...all these can cause misfires (or other feed or accuracy problems - why I only carry factory ammo for CCW and make certain the ammo performs flawlessly in my gun!).

Look to other XD Talk threads for information on using reloads; there is a lot of information available. One COMMON solution to feed and head-space issues that I have seen in the threads is that, in the XDs, overall length of .45 reloads needs to be no more than 1.20".

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, love my xds 45 but it will not shoot any rounds with the 7 rounds mags worth a darn. 5 rounders work no problem and this has been well documented on this site. SA even sent me new mags and still same problem. I love the gun but not reliable to carry every day except with 5 round mags. I would have really been upset if the 5 rounders caused problems but they dont

Funny been shooting the 7 round mags for better than a year ( 4 of them ) never had a problem at all with them?

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
The fact that your XD/S works perfectly with factory ammo points clearly to a problem with your friends reloads, not a pistol problem. Even though the friend has successfully reloaded for years, and used ammo sometimes in competition, remember that he is loading for, and using this ammo in a much larger, heavier, and even tuned competition guns. You, on the other hand are using an ultra small, light weight defensive pistol with an entirely different set of characteristics and tolerances. You have no way of knowing just how the reloaded case was sized, whether it is properly trimmed and loaded to factory lengths, how deep your friend seats the primer, and so forth. Any of these areas can cause the primer to be just beyond the reach of the light weight firing pin used in the XD/S, causing the appearance of light primer hits and consequent failure to ignite/fire. I would discontinue use of such reloads and stick to factory ammo in a a small pistol that is designed for, and will be used for defensive purposes.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
1) I also do not trust anybody to reload my ammo but me...there are far too many things that can go wrong and not only damage your handgun, but also be dangerous--I calibrate my loads for the individual weapon I am cycling them through...barrel size, feedramps geometry and overall size all factor into the load I workup...Does he have an XDS .45 he is doing these loads for as well?

2) Purchasing reloads from a non-FFL2 holder is technically illegal; Not saying I agree with that particular statute, but its a concern--who else is this person loading for? Any chance somebody is gonna run their mouth and stir up some heat? Is the risk worth the few $ you saved?

3) Are you involved in the process? Would your buddy be willing to teach you the process to be able to run your own loads? This is how I save my shooting buds some coin and not have to worry about liability or ATF BS...they procure their own components, I walk them through the process and they come run their own loads on my equipment...and in return, I am never out of brass or projectiles...they accept their own liability and learn a think or three too

your call to make, but some food for thought

·
Registered
114 Posts
My experience is somewhat different. I've shot over 4,000 rounds through my XDs 45mm, 98% of them standard 230gr reloads done by a close friend who has been reloading for over 15 years. He does not reload for competition and they are the same reloads I've used successfully in my H&K, FNX and Colt 45's - all successfully.

I buy all the components, collect, sort and clean the brass - he does the reloading.

I also have never had an issue with either the 5 round or 7 round mags. Aside from having the double fire issue prior to the recall and breaking the recoil spring assembly after 1500 rounds the gun has run pretty flawlessly.

And, since there seem to be some experienced re-loaders any idea where I can get Winchester 231 or Hodgdon HP-38 powder? Have tried everywhere for months and can't find. As much as I shoot I hate buying - paying for - regular ammo outside of defensive rounds. Thanks

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
My experience is somewhat different. I've shot over 4,000 rounds through my XDs 45mm, 98% of them standard 230gr reloads done by a close friend who has been reloading for over 15 years. He does not reload for competition and they are the same reloads I've used successfully in my H&K, FNX and Colt 45's - all successfully.

I buy all the components, collect, sort and clean the brass - he does the reloading.

I also have never had an issue with either the 5 round or 7 round mags. Aside from having the double fire issue prior to the recall and breaking the recoil spring assembly after 1500 rounds the gun has run pretty flawlessly.

And, since there seem to be some experienced re-loaders any idea where I can get Winchester 231 or Hodgdon HP-38 powder? Have tried everywhere for months and can't find. As much as I shoot I hate buying - paying for - regular ammo outside of defensive rounds. Thanks

there is a nationwide powder shortage...its not something that will be ending anytime soon...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts