Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I don't have much time behind hand guns, but after talking to many people and spending time on this sight, I bought my first carry weapon, the XD .40 4" service model last Friday night. I didn't have a chance to shoot it until Tuesday night at the local gun club where I put the first 150 rounds through it. With the target at about 21' I set up some sand bags and decided to try and sight it in to see where she would shoot. After about 50 rounds it seems like it's shooting low. I put the bull’s-eye right on top of the sights and I'm at least 6" low consistently. Then I covered the bull’s-eye with the front sight and it was still low. Is this normal? I guess I don't exactly know what some people mean when they exclaim their XD is accurate right out of the box. How should I be measuring the accuracy and what if anything can be done if it is actually shooting low and it's not just the Newbie operator?
I'll be heading back to the range with another 100 rounds and I'll try to get the pics of the targets so I can get some advice.

Thanks, great site!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
First welcome to the forum.
The shooting low could be the operator, or the ammo, or a little of both. I had trouble with mine too as far as elevation goes, and I ended up changing the sights to a set of adjustables (Fiber Optitic on one and night sights on the other), but you may be able to just switch ammo. The diffrent weight bullets can impact at diffrent points.
If it is the operator, then some dry fire practice could help.
Which gun club where you shooting at?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not too proud to admit the problem is probably all with the operator. I was useing some cheap ammo (CCI Blazer) and that could have played a roll as well.

I was shooting at the Metro Gun Club in Blaine. It's right off of 35w and Radison Rd, not too far from Bill's Gun Shop in Circle Pines if you know were that is. For non-members, it's $8/half hour on the range, unlimited # of guns. They also have some good shotgun fields there.

As far as dry-fire goes... I' guess that I've always been under the impression that dry firing a gun was bad for it? Am I mistaken? and if so, how should I be practicing using dryfire?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think you should try a couple diffrent types of ammo, and maybe a little dryfire practice might help.
Well as far as dryfiring goes, most guns you can dryfire forever without hurting them, you should go to www.brianenos.com and check out Technical and Gun Specific Discussions , Stock/Production/Limited Gun Technical, and look on the 2nd page, there is a posting by Steve Anderson about dryfiring the XDs, and it should answer all your questions about dryfiring.

I haven't shot a Metro since I joined out at The Oakdale Gun Club, and that was almost 20 years ago. We should get together some time and shoot. I will PM you with some info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dry firing is an integral aspect of pistol craft.

My practice regimen consists of 75-80% dry fire versus live fire. Trigger control is perhaps the most essential [and least mastered] task in the gun firing sequence. I just learned that the XD models might have an issue with heavy dry firing....a snap cap might be in order if you think you might want to do allot.

Try this next time you are at the range...

With a firm grip on the pistol, line the dots up just below your desired point of impact . Pull the trigger so slowly that it is a surprise to you when the pistol fires. Take a long breath and relax. Repeat the sequence a couple of times and look at your target. Now see where the point of impact is.

If it is consistently low, you can try a couple of things.... the easiest is to try different ammo as others have recommended. It has been my experience that a heavier bullet will generally have a higher point of impact at shorter distances.

If that doesn't work you might have to invest in a shorter front sight or adjustable sights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I made it back to the range on Saturday morning. Again, I was the only one on the pistol range. Kind of nice, no distractions and no one there cares if I practice my newbie frantic rapid fire. I tried Eor's advice on the slow trigger pull and the accuracy came up considerably. I'm sure that the gun works just fine, and that I need a lot more practice.
I'll have to invest in a couple of snap-caps for dry firing practice. That should also keep me happy as it will be a while before I can afford more ammo for the range. The wife just doesn't understand it when I burn up $30 - $50 in an hour at the range. I'm seriously considering investing in some reloading equipment, but that will stay a consideration until I learn what kind of savings it would really be.
40swxdshooter, I'll give you a call when I'm ready to get back to the range. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are some great online ammo suppliers that can help keep your costs down before you begin reloading. Try out Ammoman.com and outdoormarksman.com. You can save quite a bit of $$ by ordering in quantities >500.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Wal-Marts in my area have WWB 100 rnd "Value Packs."
$15.97 for .40 S&W
$16.50 for 38 special

Yes thats $8 per 50!!!

RedZX9R...

The way you describe your 'point of aim' and 'point of impact' in your first post is exactly how my XD40 and 2 other's are hitting. Too low. Sure you could say it's operator error but it's not doing it with the other 3 pistols I'm shooting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts