Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all! I am 1st time gun owner and purchased the XD9 4" service model.

Felt like a kid at Christmas -- disassembled it on the kitchen table, looking over every square inch, reassembled, re-disassembled, etc. =-) The wife just rolls her eyes. =-)

I do have a question. The slide stop lever is sooo hard to push after cocking. Is that normal? Do i just need to take it to the range and put some ammo through it? Is it due to it not being broken in yet?

I have only fired friend's guns that were well broken in. So again, not use to a brand new gun.

Thanks!

PAUL

·
Registered
57 Posts
A new gun means new parts. After a few hundred rounds, that slide stop lever should definitely break in. Otherwise just messing with it at home will bring in that spring.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Welcome to XDTalk prduke!

What your doing is great. You are familiarizing yourself with your gun's features and interior components. This will help you distinguish any malfunctioning part when you encounter problems in the future. Read your gun's manual and familiarize yourself with it's safety features by dry firing your weapon.

The XD9 is a great gun. I shot mine close to 1000 rounds without any problem.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Use this forum to your advantage since you are a new gun owner. Ask any questions that you have. Even if they seem simple, ask anyway.

·
Premium Member
127,279 Posts
Congratulations and welcome.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Slide stop hard to push after cocking....

huh? Could you explain what you are doing and why you are doing it because I honestly am not getting what you are up to!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I cock the slide all the way back and it locks open, you then push the slide lever with your thumb to release it. That lever you use your thumb on is hard to push to release the slide.

I may not be using the correct verbage or terminology.

PAUL

·
Registered
616 Posts
when I cock the slide all the way back and it locks open, you then push the slide lever with your thumb to release it. That lever you use your thumb on is hard to push to release the slide.

PAUL
It shouldn't lock open if you are chambering a round...

Instead of pushing the slide release with your finger, just pull back on the slide and let it go, the release should just drop and the slide should go forward.

·
Registered
144 Posts

PAUL
The notch in the slide is being pushed against the stop by the recoil spring. Going to be a pretty stiff spring when new, will loosen up over time, but shouldnt be too loose either.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The lever is hard to press if the magazine is empty. If you try that with a full mag it's easy. I've heard not to release the slide that way on an empty chamber - whether it's true or not I don't know, just repeating what I've heard.

I have the same gun and love it!

·
Registered
298 Posts
The XD9 service model was my first purchase as well. I'll never complain I have over 1500 rounds through mine with zero issues. It's a great gun to shoot. Enjoy!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Welcome..I have the same pistol in dark earth..love it, every thing will loosen up.
take it a fire it a bunch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The XD9 was my second XD I bought. I have an XD40SC I use to carry. I use the XD9 to shoot way cheaper ammo. I love both XDs.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Congrats! Great pistol. No worries at all. They are stiff when they are new, give it some break in time.

D

·
0 Posts
The lever is hard to press if the magazine is empty. If you try that with a full mag it's easy. I've heard not to release the slide that way on an empty chamber - whether it's true or not I don't know, just repeating what I've heard.

I have the same gun and love it!
Yep. It'll also be stiffer when new.

Regardless, I'd recommend pulling back on the slide, lowering the lever, then letting the slide fly forward.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts