Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range yesterday, shooting my XD-9 service and some WWB, and I finally had an issue, after shooting close to 1000 rounds without any problems. It has never jammed on me or given me any other issues using factory mags, other than yesterday.

I had emptied about half of the 16-round magazine, when the slide was stuck back and wouldn't go into battery. I inspected the chamber, and 25% or so of the spent shell was sticking out of it. The slide got stuck trying to load the next round, but couldn't, due to the shell being in the chamber. I inspected the extractor, and it looked perfectly normal. The shell looked normal as well. I cleared the spent shell, and shot another 75 rounds or so without any problems.

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I just recently did a complete strip of my Service. I probably have, no kidding, 20k through it. I'm alway anal about keeping my guns clean, but this is the first time it has been completely stripped down piece by piece. I took the extractor out and it was CAKED with crud. I wasn't having issues (my issues were with the striker spring), but I could easily see how it might have some trouble. I always clean my extractor tip off with dental picks every time I field strip it after a trip to the range and I'm sure that helps a ton.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sucks to hear. I am up to around 1000 rounds myself and experience my first FTF yesterday. Times like 10 out of a box of 50 federal JHP. Needless to say I will never shoot them again. Very wierd feeling to have a jam on these guns since they shoot every type of ammo even the cheap crap flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
The only FTE I have ever had with any of my XDs were with my reloads, which was admittedly my fault. Your issue could have been quite a few things, it would be hard to say for sure without examining the gun and ammo. I wouldn't worry about it though. 1 FTE out of 1K is not bad. If you have any more issue, obviously it is something to seriously look into. I just wouldn't automatically assume it was the gun when it has only happened once.

Practice your Tap & Rack drills and a rare FTE won't slow you down a bit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
my bet...the magazine...try loading 14 and see if it happens again the next time you go out to the range...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts