Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I recently bought some boxes of Fed, JHP 147gr for my Servic9mm. I was very impressed. My accuracy improved somewhat (I still need to work on that..)

Previously, I had been using whatever bi-mart had on sale. Mostly WWB 115/127gr FMJ/JHP.. or Remington 115gr FMJ.. and a few other brands that happened to be on sale at the time.

All shot fine, no FTF/FTE problems with any of the rounds.

I did like the Federal round though. I got a much more consistent ejection of the rounds.. It packs a nice punch (I assume that it has more gunpowder in it and that's why.) And of the prjoctiles that I could find, they were whole, as opposed to the kind of fragmented, shattered peices of metal I could find from the WWB and Remington rounds. They are way more expensive though.. $11.00 per 20 round box for the Federal, $6.90 for a 50 round box of the Remington, and about $7.50 per 50 round box for the WWB.

I havn't decided which round I will ultimately use for carry.. It will certainly be a better quality/more expensive round (such as the Federal)... but there have been so many suggestions, and I am so out of money.. that I will just have to wait and experiment. For plinking though.. whatever is on sale is just fine for me.

Raymond

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Indiana State Troopers use gold dots in their .40's
Not sure the grainage
I like big 180grainers
Just cuz they make big holes:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I decided to reload my own ammo.
Reasons:
1. You can tailor the load to your pistol for the bullet type you want to shoot.
2. You can vari the powder type and charge amount which will allow you to control the velocity and energy.
3. You will be able to shoot more and become a better shooter. 8)
4. My cost for 50 rounds of 9mm is about $4.25 w/cases, $3.10 when I reuse the cases. :D
5. Real savings for reloading 44 magnums. About $4.50 for 50 using cast bullets verses (cheapest that I could find) $20 for 50 round box of Winchester USA.
6. Hawaii doesn't have many shops that sell ammo, so choice is few and cost is high. :( Can't order ammo thru the mail. Even UPS will not deliver. :x
7. It's fun :D
Aloha,
Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts