Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back a little bit ago from the range. Had a great time and the stag ran like a top. No problems at all. Probably went through about 80 rounds or so and was there about 2 hours. I fed it some from Prvi 5.56 M193, Black Hills and PMC .223 and the Stag loved it all. To me the recoil was lighter on the .223 compared to 5.56, I didn't think I would be able to tell the difference. I do have a question..is it normal to have a small crease or dent on the side of every spent casing? This is just something I noticed. Oh and also is some smoke coming out around the chamber area normal after every shot? I attached a few pics as I progressed. I was pretty pleased as I have never shot a rifle before and also I had to shoot left handed which I have never done either. I forgot to add these are all at 25 yards out.

and one of the rifle

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Sounds like you had fun! :D

Your targets look OK, you just need more practice. We all do.

As for the Smoke you were seeing, it was more than likely just some oil/preservative being cooked off the gas tube and or bolt. Nothing to worry about. Make sure to give it a good cleaning, don't forget the chamber.

If you could post a pic or two on the brass with the marks we might be able to see what is going on there.

Kent

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Just a guess, but I would say those marks might be from hitting the brass deflector. Or they might be hitting some thing else? :confused:

I am waiting for some one else to chime in one this one. ;)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Are the magazines new? Are they hard to load? It almost looks like the dents are from when you're loading the rounds into the magazine. I've had it happen to me before.

Take a gander when you load your magazines. ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was using brand new Pmags and they were a little stiff loading them. I just loaded 15 rounds into 2 different mags and didnt get any of the markings. Thanks for the input so far guys

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I would guess that the brass is hitting the brass deflector, also. My XD does the same thing - brass strikes the slide on the way out and it gets a little dent in it. I don't know how badly this effects your brass - may not be safe for reloading, just so you know. I'll wait for an expert to chime in on this part.

joe

·
Registered
296 Posts
Normal

Normal

Yep...a little brass dent is no big deal. You can feel fine reloading them as well. Take a look at what an HK does to the brass. Those are some gnarly wrinkle wall cases. Your little dings are no issue at all.

As for the smoke. It is just lube cooking off and some powder smoke from the gas tube operating the bolt. Remember the AR sh!ts where it eats and thus you get some farting out the ejection port. Normal stuff. Shoot it hard and let 'er eat. Good stuff.

Cheers
Mac.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey guys, I also had my first range trip w/ my new AR-15 today. I'm new to the AR platform, but not guns in general. Anyway, I thought I would temporarily jack this thread to ask my own question.

At one point I had to eject a live round that had been chambered (range officer called cease fire), and for some reason I took a peek at the primer. There was the slightest little dimple on the primer, almost looked like I had a misfire due to a hard primer...but I had never pulled the trigger. I then tried this a couple more times to see if it was a fluke...and every round I checked had the same mark from the firing pin. So my question is, is this common/normal on the AR? It seems to me that my firing pin may be a hair too long, if that is the case what are the odds of having a truely accidental discharge when chambering a round or having "double taps"?

I hope my question is clear....this just kind of freaked me out seeing that the firing pin was contacting the primers without pulling the trigger:shock:

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Hey guys, I also had my first range trip w/ my new AR-15 today. I'm new to the AR platform, but not guns in general. Anyway, I thought I would temporarily jack this thread to ask my own question.

At one point I had to eject a live round that had been chambered (range officer called cease fire), and for some reason I took a peek at the primer. There was the slightest little dimple on the primer, almost looked like I had a misfire due to a hard primer...but I had never pulled the trigger. I then tried this a couple more times to see if it was a fluke...and every round I checked had the same mark from the firing pin. So my question is, is this common/normal on the AR? It seems to me that my firing pin may be a hair too long, if that is the case what are the odds of having a truely accidental discharge when chambering a round or having "double taps"?

I hope my question is clear....this just kind of freaked me out seeing that the firing pin was contacting the primers without pulling the trigger:shock:
No worries. The AR-15 and many other "Military" rifles have a FLOATING firing pin. When a round is chambered the firing pin makes very light contact with the primer, thus leaving the mark you see. Perfectly normal operation.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies..good to hear all is normal. Cant wait to get back out there and shoot more holes in paper!! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts