Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my CCW permit earlier today; it took me about a month from the date I sent out my packet. There is actually a gun show I'm going to tomorrow so I needed to take out enough money to cover the cost of a new gun. So I figured, why not take my XDM with me?

I didn't expect it to be so nerve-racking. After all, this is like a Wally Walk on steroids imo. Things went fine, by the way. No alarms going off, no security guards dog-piling me... :p

But yeah, the .45 XDM I carry is just way too big and cumbersome. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm looking at getting a Glock 26 or 19.

Anyone else have a particularly nerve-racking first time?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You carried in a bank!? In Ohio that is a felony.
It's not a felony or illegal in any way shape or form to carry in a bank in Ohio.:rolleyes:

Who told you this? A LEO? A bank employee? There is no prohibition in Ohio to carrying with in a bank. Only if they post a no guns sign is it then prohibited.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I got my CCW permit earlier today; it took me about a month from the date I sent out my packet. There is actually a gun show I'm going to tomorrow so I needed to take out enough money to cover the cost of a new gun. So I figured, why not take my XDM with me?

I didn't expect it to be so nerve-racking. After all, this is like a Wally Walk on steroids imo. Things went fine, by the way. No alarms going off, no security guards dog-piling me... :p

But yeah, the .45 XDM I carry is just way too big and cumbersome. As much as I hate to admit it, I'm looking at getting a Glock 26 or 19.

I was 21 when I first started to carry so I was pretty nervous. When I started to carry, I open carried because I thought it would be the smarter thing to do. After a little bit I began to conceal carry so I wasn't getting any looks or people talking about me. For the first couple days I always felt like people could see my gun. Now I almost forget that I even carry. I don't feel my gun on me anymore, and carrying concealed has become second nature.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I was 21 when I first started to carry so I was pretty nervous. When I started to carry, I open carried because I thought it would be the smarter thing to do. After a little bit I began to conceal carry so I wasn't getting any looks or people talking about me. For the first couple days I always felt like people could see my gun. Now I almost forget that I even carry. I don't feel my gun on me anymore, and carrying concealed has become second nature.

How long have you been carrying?

·
Registered
1,169 Posts

I was a bit conscious about it. I had a tuckable IWB holster for my XDM when I first carried it. It had some bulk and with a tucked in shirt and light brown dress pants, it was obvious to me. I wore it anyway for the whole day and immediately started looking for a replacement. While it was comfortable, it did not conceal well for me.

Then I found my ultimate holster - the SmartCarry. Yep. I had reservations about this but I can carry my gear (XDM compact) with extra mags all day long on white dress pants. I stand, jump, sit, walk, felt like it was not even there. I go do my business in the public bathroom, all I had to do pull it up chest level, then bring it back down when I'm done. Yep. I had to do that with my IWB and I had a tough time trying to hide it from view under the stalls.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
It is legal to carry in banks here in Michigan
Have you considered a xdm 3.8 compact?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I carried in a bank today too! Actually I do every Friday to deposit my paycheck.(job doesn't have direct deposit) Can carry in banks in Texas as well. It will get much easier with time, we all got cc jitters early on. Carry on!

·
Registered
2,009 Posts

If your XDm 45 is too big and cumbersome you might want to look into getting a different holster, there are alot of us that carry fullsize firearms on a daily basis for over 14 hours a day. With the right holster you won't even feel it there, until you need it.

Are you carrying IWB or OWB?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If your XDm 45 is too big and cumbersome you might want to look into getting a different holster, there are alot of us that carry fullsize firearms on a daily basis for over 14 hours a day. With the right holster you won't even feel it there, until you need it.

Are you carrying IWB or OWB?
IWB Crossbreed Supertuck with a Wilderness 5-stitch belt...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.