Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I participated in my first shooting competition with my XD-40. It was a rather simple steel match but fun non-the-less and a good intro course for a first timer like me. It was held at Crooked Creek Conservation Club here in NE Ohio. (http://www.practicalpistol.net/default.htm) It had four stages; each stage consisted of 5 stationary steel plates. The course of fire was to draw on the start buzzer and shoot each plate once; if you missed a plate kept shooting until you hit each plate once. There was no penalty for a miss other than the time to squeeze of another round. We repeated this heat five times for each stage. So a perfect run would have been 100 rounds, I ended up using a few more than that to compete it.

The first stage was about 18-20 yards at steel plates the same shape as the standard practical pistol cardboard silhouette targets. The next stage was about the same distance but at slightly smaller rectangular plates. These stages were pretty easy and fast. I manage to get times down just under 4 seconds. The next stages were a bit harder. The third stage was at about 15 yards at 9 inch round plates. The kicker on this stage was the second plate from the left was a 6 inch plate. This slowed the pace down a bit and the poor six inch plate was cut off the 2x4 it was sitting on at least twice during the days shot from low shots. The final stage was five more 9 inch plate but closer at probably 11 or 12 yards. I did manage to clear a couple of heats of the 9 inch plate without missing any but more often then not it took more than five rounds to finish the heat. The guys said next month’s shoot will be a more traditional practical pistol course with obstacles, moves, and reloads. They had kept this first shoot simple expecting both newbe like myself and the possibility of mud.

My XD-40 performed flawlessly! I shot the complete course of fire twice and put almost 250 rounds of remanufactured ammo thought my XD-40 without a single failure. (See this thread for more on the ammunition if interested http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20198&highlight=) I was very pleased with both the ammunition and my XD-40’s performance. I will definitely be going back for some more shooting. I am really looking forward to getting a chance to move and reload on the course. I will definitely have to get two or three more magazines. I had four and really needed at least one more. I will also have to get a couple more magazine pouches. On a side note I was not the only XD there, there was one other XD-9 present. In the end it was a lot of fun and there seemed to be a good bunch of friendly and knowledgeable guys and gals there shooting.

Rambling
mcb

·
Premium Member
5,749 Posts
Great to hear. Its pretty addicting. Nothing like the bang and clang sounds of a steel match! :D

·
Registered
688 Posts
We GOTCHA, You are hooked now. I shoot every weekend in either Columbus, Dayton or Cincinnati. I really enjoy spending the day with fellow Shooters. I made the observation today that in our squad there were 3 XDs and 3 Glocks. We are getting more popular as the good word spreads.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys this thread sort of died but I got to do a little braggin and pattin myself on my back. The scores were posted on Crooked Creek's web site late last week and I managed to shoot 3rd of 14 (79.2%) in the production division and 18 of 53 (64.0%) overall. I can't wait untill the next shoot especiall since I will probably be using my new XD-40 Tactical instead of my Service model!

mcb

·
Registered
452 Posts
Congrats on doing well, didn't do quite that well in the matches I've shot but I'm pretty competitive so if nothing else I like to see how I rate against other shooters.

I live in WV but near east liverpool OH and usually shoot in PA (match every weekend within an hour drive). I think I might try to make the classifier match on the 29th at crooked creek, looks like about a 2 hour drive..

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Omegaic, I used my XD-Gear Holster I got with my XD-40 Service. I bought a good 1.25 inch wide full grain leather belt to help support the paddle holster and uncle mikes paddle double magazine holder I had. It worked great. I have since added a a few more magazines and three Safariland clip on single magazine holders.

j2fast, my parents grew up in East Liverpool and I still have a lot of family in the area. I will have to look into some matches down there I could crash in East Liverpool and then head over for a match. Up here in the greater Cleveland area Crooked Creek Conservation Club is the only one with in 60 miles. There is one over in Erie I might try after I get a few more matches under my belt.

mcb

·
Registered
452 Posts
omegaic

I use the Blackhawk CQC (w/o SERPA), quite happy with it, very smooth to draw from IMO.

mcb

I believe the closest USPSA club to East Liverpool is Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club ( http://www.greaterpghgunclb.com ), they have matches the 3rd Sunday of each month starting at 10 AM and registrations closes at 2 PM. Its probably about a 45 minute drive from EL. Good group of folks that run the events, very willing to help new shooters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts