Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I have been researching, absorbing, and lusting after a custom M4gery for almost a year. I started buying parts in March and its now finished with the long awaited Flat Dark Earth UBR.
Why 3K plus? I’m glad you asked. I’ve met some guys that have several AR’s that don’t shoot but one or two, so I wanted to “save money” and roll it all into one rifle. I was the same way on 1911 pistols. I went through two stock, two semi-custom, and two custom pistols until I had just what I wanted. I wanted the best of the best in this rifle, circa 2008. I almost went piston, but since I got the DLC bcg and it’s a middy, I thought the piston a bit over the top. The only thing I would change, if I could, would be a Magpul lower receiver, just to peg the cool meter (jealousy factor.)
Enjoy.

The particulars: Spikes Tactical lower, LMT lpk, KNS anti-walk, pivot, and takedown pins, Magpul enhanced trigger guard, Timney 3lb. trigger, and an Ergo Suregrip. The upper half was built by MSTN and features their logo’d VLTOR MUR 1-A receiver, a 16” Noveske N4 barrel with a PWS FSC 556, a fitted LMT IonBond Diamondblack bolt with a Young Natl. Match IBDB carrier, Noveske pinned gasblock, LaRue Tactical 10” free floating handguard, LMT charging handle, Troy front & rear BUIS, a Dieter VFG with paracord wrap, Magpul FDE XTM rail cover panels, Daniel Defense offset light mount with Surefire 6P Malkoff Devices illuminator(Yeah, I know I should have bought the X300, but I had an extra 6P), LaRue/Vickers padded sling with QD swivels, and an Aimpoint H1 Microdot on a LaRue mount. Magazines (5x20 and 5x30)are all Magpul P-Mags, and I bought a Hardigg-Storm case to keep it all in.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
As long as you don't think this will be a money-maker for you, you'll never get your money back out of that rifle, enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No plans to sell. This one will be handed down to my son in about 25 years, Obama willing.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Will there be a second build? I'm working on my 4th. :)

If I could do it all over again and have just 1 it would be as follows...

LMT Defender Lower w/ SOPMOD and 2 Stage Trigger - $511
LMT CQB MRP Carbine Version - $1100
Troy Battle Sights Combo - $240
Aimpoint CompM4s w/ LaRue QD mount - $735
Aimpoint 3x Magnifier w/ LaRue QD Pivot mount - $606

That would put me at around $3,200... And I still wouldn't be done, cause I'd want to put some kind of rail covers (more than likely the KAC panels), VFG, and some kind of flashlight and mount system. So I would probably be closer to $4k if I could just have 1 AR. :)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably not. This was a lot of fun to build and I wanted to avoid going cheap and missing something that I wish I had done. For example, the Noveske N4 barrell...

--16" Cold Hammer Forged Barrel, 1 in 7" twist, 5.56mm
--Made of Mil Spec M249 Machine Gun barrel steel, with heavy M249 Chrome Lining,
(approx. 2 times as thick as an M4 or M16)
--Extended Feed Ramps
--Mil Spec Phosphate finish
--Barrel weight is 28 oz, but improved contour for maximum rigidity, no M203 notch
--MP HP tested with certification
--Mid-length gas system

Should last awhile...

I will be getting a decent scope on a LaRue mount to see how it shoots out to 200 yards (my rifle range's max distance.)

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
New production stripped 16" M4 A1 SOCOM barrels
Features include
- medium contour
- chrome lined chamber and bore
- MP testing
- 5.56mm chambering
- 1/7" twist
- M4 barrel extension
- mil-spec parkerizing
- drilled gas port
- flats and step down for grenade launcher
- and standard 1/2x28 threads.

That's the barrel I got. What's the difference? Other than the M203 Notch

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Ah! I got the notion that most of the barrels being sold excluding the no name lower tier brands all get their barrels from the same companies.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Very nice looking rifle. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm left eye dominant, so I shoot rifle & shotgun lefty.
The Aimpoint Rocks!
Thanks for the compliments!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts