Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got bit by BGD a few weeks back. Since then I have been reading and learning both here and on AR15.com. I made one mistake when assembling the lower. When I was putting in the roll pin in for the bolt catch the punch slipped and I dinged the finish. Rookie mistake, but I fixed it by putting some Birchwood Casey Super Black on it. It's a SHTF gun, so it's the first of many dings I'm sure! I was really pissed when I did it, but I'm sure I'm not the first one. I'll just have to be more careful next time! :D I still need to put the Pivot Pin on, but the LPK was missing one detent! Hopefully AIMSurplus will come through for me and send one.

A few details:
CMMG Lower - Local Dealer $135
CMMG LPK - AIMSurplus $56.96
ACE Skeleton Stock - AR15.com EE $93.15 (including buffer tube, buffer and spring)

Haven't decided on which CMMG upper to go with, 16" Mid-Length or 14.5" Carbine with a pinned Muzzle Brake. Suggestions anyone?? Probably going with a Magpul MAID grip in the future.

Here are some picks...

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Don't feel too mad about getting all the parts. It happens. If you are in a hurry, you can make a detent pin out of an appropriate sized drill bit. Just cut off a little bit of the end and grind it down. Heat to yellow over the stove and water quench should harden it enough.

Also, as you have found, it is hard to install those detents and springs, particularily the take down pins. FWIW, I used a small knife blade, small medical forcepts and a containment rag. Those pins and springs LOVE to fly. "Oh XXXX, not again!" He he he. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Okay... in light of yesterdays completed lower build and the Obama being the president-elect I want to order my upper asap. I need some help deciding because I haven't been able to make the decision on my own... CMMG 16" mid-length or 14.5" carbine with pinned MB?? Which one and why. Uses will be SHTF, HD and the range. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice. Don't worry about the upper. There should be no reason why you can't get one down the road ... The lowers are the only thing you should worry about and since you've already got it. No problems.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Okay... in light of yesterdays completed lower build and the Obama being the president-elect I want to order my upper asap. I need some help deciding because I haven't been able to make the decision on my own... CMMG 16" mid-length or 14.5" carbine with pinned MB?? Which one and why. Uses will be SHTF, HD and the range. Thanks!
CMMG middy, same as what I have. Less recoil and easier on the rifle.

·
Registered
307 Posts
^ +1 on the CMMG Mid-Length. I have been waiting for someone to get the MedCon in stock, it's a bit heavier than the government profile (M4). Everyone seems to be out of stock out here...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am fairly new to the whole AR-15 thing, but am going to get my first build started and am definitely going with CMMG. From what I've read the mid length is the better choice because it's more dependable and less wear on the rifle.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Masking tape can be your friend, when assembling (sp?) a lower. :D

Ask me how I know ;)
Used that with electrical tape. But I caught it right on the corner. You can almost see the reflection/sparkle in the first picture. I will do things differently on my next build.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Used that with electrical tape. But I caught it right on the corner. You can almost see the reflection/sparkle in the first picture. I will do things differently on my next build.
I used electrical tape as well, put it over the lower, the auto-locking pliers I used and even around the roll punch...

even after that I slightly knicked the side of the boltcatch rollpin hole.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
^ +1 on the CMMG Mid-Length. I have been waiting for someone to get the MedCon in stock, it's a bit heavier than the government profile (M4). Everyone seems to be out of stock out here...

When I bought my rifle a few months ago, I was trying to decide between the med con and the midlength. Let me see if I can find which website had it in stock and I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Congrats on the lower... as far as upper, I like what the mid-length has to offer. If you order it soon, be sure to let us know wait time (I'll be looking into mine in the not TOO distant future)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I ordered my 16" mid-length upper this evening. I had to custom order it with a pinned/welded muzzle brake and a f-marked fsb with the bayo lug removed. YAY for living in NY where the politicians are stuck in the 90's and the AWB lives on! I also got it with the extended/polished ramps. I deceided to hold off on getting a FF and will purchase a DD Omega down the road.

I was told, since everything was in stock, that it should be 20-21 days. I'll let everyone know when it shows up on my doorstep. An early christmas present would be nice!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts